Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Knocking

Ok so of course my wife and I buy and new car for her and the very next week my 2006 MT6 starts making all kinds of noises.

I have a 2006 G35 coupe MT6 with 59,000 miles.

My car has been sitting for a couple days and today when I started it, it started making a very noticeable knocking noise coming from the engine, it was pretty loud. It would also knock faster when I push on the gas. I can put the window down and even hear it ticking while I'm driving. I let the car sit for a coupe hours and checked the oil. The oil level is about a 1/4 pass L so it's not exactly on L or lower. I change my oil every 3K and it's now up for a new oil change.

I made a video so you guys and hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFZGc...ature=youtu.be

Also I just started getting this humming noise which seems to be coming from the rear passenger side. It actually sounds like something is rubbing and you can hear it the whole time I'm driving and it's drops away as the car slows down and comes back up when I speed up. I got brand new tires this year also. Was thinking it might be the rear bearings or something like that.

It's not the exhaust because you can still hear it when I push the clutch in and just coast.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Check your PCV on the back left (<^ standing at front bumper) of your plenum. They like to fail randomly.

Chance you are tuned? This would make diagnosis much easier if you have Cipher readily available.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
For the back it could very well be a bearing, or it could be your alignment is out of spec. When your toe (angle parallel to the road) is negative (out towards the road) you have lots of noise and pull.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Check your PCV on the back left (<^ standing at front bumper) of your plenum. They like to fail randomly.

Chance you are tuned? This would make diagnosis much easier if you have Cipher readily available.
Car is completely stock no tune. I put a quart of oil in to see if it the noise would go done, it's still there. When I checked my oil it was still in the normal range just on the lower side of normal. My check engine light has never gone on.

I just hope it's not a spun rod bearing. Maybe a valve tap or something like that. I don't even have 60k miles on it yet but its not under warranty anymore since it's over 4 years.

I'll check the PCV tomorrown.

Thanks

Last edited by Micro2; 12-28-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
For the back it could very well be a bearing, or it could be your alignment is out of spec. When your toe (angle parallel to the road) is negative (out towards the road) you have lots of noise and pull.
I'm pretty sure I do need alignment it' not real bad but there are times I have to hold the steering wheel so the car doesn't pull left.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:02 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
That sounds like it might be a rod knocking, especially since it increases with RPM's. But I really hope I'm wrong because if that's the issue your engine's toast.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM
The check engine light never came on and I have no loss of power the noise is consistent. It's more of a tapping sound. Taps faster when given more throttle and slows down when I let off the throttle.

There's no grinding or sounds of pieces tumbling around.

I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and see if I find any metal pieces in the pan.

I can't find anywhere to take this car. I would hate to take it to the deal as I feel like no matter what it is they'll say I need a new engine.

What would a new engine cost anyway? I think I seen somewhere it be 10k for everything parts and labor. It really sucks because I only have 59k miles on it.

Thanks

Old 12-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Ok I think I found out what the problem is. I went out side today to see if I can tell exactly where the noise was coming from.

The more I listened the more I sounded like it was coming from the bottom right side of the front of the engine. The sound wasn't coming from the engine itself.

So I looked at the belts and the pulley and noticed that the one belt was shifted on I guess would be the tensioner you can see in the picture I posted. My belts are pretty bad as you can tell and I've never had them changed.

Also on the bottle right which I assume is the air conditioner you can see the belt has shifted and isn't aligned on the pulley.

I'm going to take the car in this week and get the belts replaced.

Attached Thumbnails Engine Knocking-belt1.jpg   Engine Knocking-belt2.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Good looking out, that definitely needs to be fixed.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Good looking out, that definitely needs to be fixed.
I'm crossing my fingers hoping that's the problem

Thanks

Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Have Nissan replace the belts, less $$ than Infiniti!

Originally Posted by Micro2
Ok I think I found out what the problem is. I went out side today to see if I can tell exactly where the noise was coming from.
I'm going to take the car in this week and get the belts replaced.
Seriously good news...^...had you gone to the Stealership they would have sold you a new engine! Now that your wife has her own car you can take better care of your G35.
Gary

Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Id be eagerly trying to replace that belt myself to see if thats the noise or not. Pretty big deal.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by JKL1031
Id be eagerly trying to replace that belt myself to see if thats the noise or not. Pretty big deal.
I know I'm thinking of trying to do it myself tomorrow. I was going to go to the dealer and let them do it. But I know they would probably call me and tell me that my engine was shot and I need a new one.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Seriously good news...^...had you gone to the Stealership they would have sold you a new engine! Now that your wife has her own car you can take better care of your G35.
Gary
I know, I took my car to get the power window fix when I only had a couple weeks left on my warranty and I also told them my throw out bearing is making noise and I feel like my clutch is just not right. They told me everything was normal and that's the way the car is suppose to sound.

I've had mustangs with hydrolic clutches and when the bearing was going it would make a rattling sound and the sound would stop when you pushed the clutch.

So with something that could be this major like a new engine I'm really hesitant to go to the dealer.