Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Figuring out how much horsepower i have.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
First make a list of all the aftermarket parts you have installed on the car. Then go to the respective manufacturers' websites and find their promotional dyno's and such.. carefully record the HP increase for each aftermarket performance increasing part.

Add all those numbers up, plus 5~10 hp for each sticker (depends on size of course, as well as placement on the vehicle to an extent) then add 10% to that because your G35 is just a beast. Post that number online for instant street cred.

The following 3 users liked this post by seymore4:
Blue Dream (03-27-2014), Lartytiejdke3 (03-25-2014), superchargedg (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by seymore4
First make a list of all the aftermarket parts you have installed on the car. Then go to the respective manufacturers' websites and find their promotional dyno's and such.. carefully record the HP increase for each aftermarket performance increasing part.

Add all those numbers up, plus 5~10 hp for each sticker (depends on size of course, as well as placement on the vehicle to an extent) then add 10% to that because your G35 is just a beast. Post that number online for instant street cred.
I think the apc stickers are worth the most hp. Those universal fart cannon mufflers they sell at wal mart are real power makers.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guts are kinda harsh for a local enthused modded that is just trying to get at least partially decent responses. Why does everything become a bash. You can easily explain your option based of facts alone to process point you know.. This is supposed to be a helpful place. Maybe he has a overall plan to incorporate the headers later in his build but trying to get ball parks before spending his money. Honestly cheap mans dyno is gas.. Fill up hit the road and benchmark yourself l. Look for local owners possibly ride in a few of theirs.. Cross reference mods to get a better idea.. A good mod is at least stage 2 clutch.. It allowed me to really play on rolling starts.. You can the use some of that hp you talk so much about

Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by plugsnet
You guts are kinda harsh for a local enthused modded that is just trying to get at least partially decent responses. Why does everything become a bash. You can easily explain your option based of facts alone to process point you know.. This is supposed to be a helpful place. Maybe he has a overall plan to incorporate the headers later in his build but trying to get ball parks before spending his money. Honestly cheap mans dyno is gas.. Fill up hit the road and benchmark yourself l. Look for local owners possibly ride in a few of theirs.. Cross reference mods to get a better idea.. A good mod is at least stage 2 clutch.. It allowed me to really play on rolling starts.. You can the use some of that hp you talk so much about
Wow.... People bash because it is common knowledge that you cannot guess HP based on mods. The only way to ever know what your hp level is to dyno the car.

It is a true ricer suggestion to add driver error into the mix by going street racing other similar cars with other mods to guess HP. Also clutch has nothing to do with your power, sounds like you just need a driver mod.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by plugsnet
Also, these questions have been answered before. It's not as if users haven't answered them. I didn't become a user on this site til I owned my car for almost 3 yrs cuz all the info I needed was searchable. Even now I don't "need" to be a member, but like being able to try to help others with problems if I can, buy it does get annoying typing the same thing over and over and over then having people argue with you because you're just stating something that's been proven and they don't wanna hear it cuz they've already invested in it or they think its true cuz the company said so.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a few "touchy" subjects on this sites that'll get you very quickly. This one is one of those buttons that will get you some harsh responses. I understand were the frustration from the boys here comes from and I hope this will serve you as a learning to read/search and learn before jumping the gun to start a thread.

That being said, if you absolutely MUST have an estimated engine HP to feel good about your $$$ spent, here's a simple suggestion. As long as you keep this to yourself and don't go around bragging how much "estimated" HP you have:

1- go and get your car on a dyno (with all your mods removed).
2- determine what your drivetrain loss % is by dividing the WHP/CHP- 1. That should give you an approximate loss from engine to wheel
3- install all your mods back and dyno the car again.
4- use the % calculation above to "estimate" your engine HP and live happily ever after.

If point number one seems unrealistic and not time worthy, then forget about your estimate and just enjoy your ride and what you've done to it.

my 2 cents

Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
There are 3 big no-nos on Driver.
1. Don't ever call your G35 a Skyline 350GT.
2. Don't bench-race and use ricer math to add up mods.
3. Don't ask what the best (insert mod here) is for your car.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 04-01-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
There are 3 big no-nos on Driver.
1. Don't ever call your G35 a Skyline 350GT.
2. Don't bench-race and use ricer math to add up mods.
3. Don't ask what the best (insert mod here) is for your car.
Can I call it a Skyrine? You know, cuz its Asian? (That's a racist joke)

Old 04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
That's the way Driver used to be.
New rules are more like:

1. Don't ever make fun of my XXR or Varrs Wheels
2. Don't ever come here expecting anymore quality builds, and
3. Don't you dare use that search button.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Yeah, it sucks these cars are getting too affordable. I'll just keep mine clean and keep on keepin on I guess.