Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

HELP!! Power, starting, engine issues!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! Power, starting, engine issues!!

i just bought an 04 G35 6MT Coupe and it has a very interesting issue. I will just tell you everything i know based on my mechanical knowledge. So the car will run/start 98% of the time with no issue. But one out of every 20 times i go to start the car.... nothing! No cranking over, no clicking, no sounds at all. The Amber ring around the ignition key hole has NO light on. If i wait but one minute or two, the light will come on the key hole and the car starts just fine, as if nothing happened. Also last week, it cut out/turned off on my wife as she started to drive, it just stalled out and wouldn't start as if the same problem. she waited two minutes, car started just fine! I have had the battery checked, passed. Alternator checked, passed. Starter checked, passed. I did do some research and just replaced the ignition interrupter swith, what the end of the key goes into. Lastly, when this issue happens, all of the preset radio stations RESET?!? as if i lost power. It is an after market Alpine unit. I have scoured the internet for days! I hope i didn't leave anything out with this issue, ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 AM
HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!! Electrical Hell...

i just bought an 04 G35 6MT Coupe and it has a very interesting issue. I will just tell you everything i know based on my mechanical knowledge. So the car will run/start 98% of the time with no issue. But one out of every 20 times i go to start the car.... nothing! No cranking over, no clicking, no sounds at all. The Amber ring around the ignition key hole has NO light on. If i wait but one minute or two, the light will come on the key hole and the car starts just fine, as if nothing happened. Also last week, it cut out/turned off on my wife as she started to drive, it just stalled out and wouldn't start as if the same problem. she waited two minutes, car started just fine! I have had the battery checked, passed. Alternator checked, passed. Starter checked, passed. I did do some research and just replaced the ignition interrupter switch, what the end of the key goes into. Lastly, when this issue happens, all of the preset radio stations RESET?!? as if i lost power. It is an after market Alpine unit. I have scoured the internet for days! I hope i didn't leave anything out with this issue, ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
maybe the switch that's behind the clutch pedal is bad or loose or u not pressing the pedal down all the way but u think u are

Old 07-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Yeah, clutch switch is good. I did do a little more digging around and found out that it could be the NATS antenna, since the light/key ring was not lighting up when the issue happens. But I plan on doing some digging around behind the after market CD player to see if the last guy wired it up weird or into the ignition for some reason and it could be loose. I am so confused by the issue, whatever it is, seems to "fix" itself after a couple minutes??? I have never had an electrical problem that seems to "fix" itself after a minute or two???? At a loss....

Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I know it's textbook response but I'll say it anyway. Sounds like you have a bad ground or short. If it was a short, chances are you would be blowing a fuse, which obviously isn't the car. Go around the engine compartment and try to locate all your ground straps and check the condition of them. You can also add your own ground cable just rule out the possibilty. Ground out the front timing cover. The rest of the engine is grounded by the wire harness brackets bridging the cylinder head and timing cover. I would removed those and clean around them. Also check your battery cables. Remove the connections and clean them.

it also might be worth it to go get an assortment of mini fuses and replaced/check all the fuses in the fuse box located by the battery.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Sounds to me like a bad ground - especially more likely since there is an aftermarket stereo. Those will be connected to the Ignition and could be a connection that isn't very secure.

Intermittent starting/stopping issues have also been linked to Cam Phase Sensors - but I don't think this is the problem for you right now.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Found the issue!!! It was the fusible link attached to the positive battery terminal. It had a burnt, but not broken, fuse. The one on the far left, there are four in it. Also the harness was a little melted as well. Got a new link. Repaired the damage and it has been working ever since! I guess it would just heat up to a point of failure even though it was not "blown".

Good luck to all!!