Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Circle Earth HKS: Lost in the hieroglyphics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circle Earth HKS: Lost in the hieroglyphics

Just talked to the techs at HKS and they said the directions only come in Japanese, hmmmm. And, just simply reverse the diagrams because the battery is on the other side. Well I am totally in outer space now. Is there anyone who has installed one of these grounding kits on a 2004 G Coupe with some type of pictures or routing diagrams? Plees speka da englees 2! Nice kit, expensive too, couldn't they drop $.05 on a translated instruction sheet?

Old 02-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a client that did a change-over from HKS last year. If I can find him in my records, I'll PM him and see if he can help you out.

If not, you can probably just scan the instructions and use one of the translators to read in English.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Easy installation, no sweat...

Took me 1.5 hours (I was a little **** about the routing) to install and was easy. I shortened a couple and used up every wire. I photo'd the installation for anyone who's interested. Pictures are easier to follow than a step descriptions. Hyperlink the G35 for the pics. Thanks gordgee

Old 02-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not a big fan of drilling holes in the metal, and I'm not sure making the ground more effective at the distribution block mounting point shown is really going to do much there. Make sure you use some sort of dialectric or conductive grease where you bared the metal, so you don't have any future rust problems. It might have been better to mount the block directly to a convenient point on the engine itself which would add a ground point where it would do more good (not a criticism, just a suggestion ). Of course, the block itself can add a bit of noise, and one HKS user got better results by just attaching the wires directly (he tossed the block-it makes for a great 'bling' pendant for a gold chain).

Looks good though, and you did a nice job routing the wires. Let us know how it works. I've done some experimentation with the ground points in the brake reservoir area and under the coolant jug, and didn't find that they did much. I'm interested in whether you notice anything if you disconnect those points (since you already ran wires), if you're inclined to do a bit of experimentation.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by ZMercman
Just talked to the techs at HKS and they said the directions only come in Japanese, hmmmm. And, just simply reverse the diagrams because the battery is on the other side. Well I am totally in outer space now. Is there anyone who has installed one of these grounding kits on a 2004 G Coupe with some type of pictures or routing diagrams? Plees speka da englees 2! Nice kit, expensive too, couldn't they drop $.05 on a translated instruction sheet?
Having tried first the Sun Auto kit and then Stillen's, I can tell you that I honestly think you should have gone with GroundingGear! It made quite a significant difference in performance over the other kits, even so much so that my wife that usually doesn't notice these things (and hadn't realized I bought yet another "bunch of wires"), noticed the difference immediately as did my son!

I suspect that the price you paid was more than the full packages that GroundingGear makes! And his wires are all the perfect length fo the G35!
How did you shorten some of the wires? Do the HKS come with extra ends tha require you to cut off the factory ones? If so, how did you properly crimp the lugs, especially 4 gauge. As I'm to understand it, the quality of the crimp is very important for signal conduction even though 12 volt "ground continuity" can get by with just an impact (hammer-type) crimper.

I'm really interested in your feedback as well, as I've made H-G kits something of a hobby (gathering data and feedback).

Old 02-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Because I own a boat sales and service dealership, I have plenty of electrical supplies to tinker with. The cut wire was crimped, soldered and heat shrink the end. The drilling of holes on the sheet metal doesn't bother me since we drill into $60k plus boats all the time. The grounding of wire MUST have a clean surface for complete current pathway. Dielectric grease at the contact point and a shot of marine terminal protector spray (thick form of WD-40) on the top provide corrosion protection. I am not a fan of multiple connections to a battery post. Between each connection a lovely green patina will form where you can't see it thus reducing the quality of the ground. In the marine industry and especially near the salt water, I have seen every possible form of corrosion and bad grounds you can imagine. A simple voa meter will show you any minute loss of ground in an instant. I have seen cables look perfect on the outside, split them to find corrsion has flowed along the wires and rendered the wire useless. After the installation, I believe there was an improved smoothness in the shifting (6MT) and the engine was smoother on a cold startup. In the northeast it's still chilly, upper 30's that night. I tried to maintain a legitimate account without the bling factor. Horsepower improvement, who knows. Looks good and I like it so who cares. My problem is trying to find a road where I can really stretch her legs! One more thing, those bulky wires in the other kits don't impress me, the quality of the ground and the number of contact points exceed the massive gauge. As long as theirs unity, the force will be with you Luke.