Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Transmission problems?? Car stalls, dies while driving, not cam/crank sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission problems?? Car stalls, dies while driving, not cam/crank sensor

2006 G35X, 91 000km (under 60 000 miles)

Hey guys I have (from what i've been told) a pretty unique situation. Any help/input would be appreciated. This might be long, and I tried to include all relevant details, so bear with me.

On December 25th I started my car and drove for about 30 seconds, and when exiting out of a curve my car suddenly died on me. When I tried to start the car, it would not even crank, the wheels were locked and all the dash lights were on. I suspected a cam/crank sensor issue, as these seemed to be the symptoms to a common enough problem

30 minutes later, the car starts fine and I drive it home. ( When the car started running, there were no check engine, VCD, or any lights at all)

The next day I started it fine, drove it around and left it alone for a couple hours. Later on in the afternoon, when trying to start the car it would not crank. Several tries later, the car started, and I brought it to a mechanic.

He had no problems starting the car over the course of a day, but the next day on a test drive it stalled on him as well. When he did the engine scan, no codes appeared.

My mechanic suggested taking it to the dealer who may have seen this issue before.I took it to infiniti for a diagnostic. Here is where the real problems start.

After leaving the car overnight with infiniti, they could not diagnose the problem (started the car 40+ times with no issues, no engine codes).

The next day, the car stalls on them (again, with no engine codes - this and an inspection of the cam/crank sensors ruled those out as a possible problem)

and they told me they found 2 fuses that are short. They explained that when my battery was changed, there may have been a loose terminal or wires under the battery that were not plugged back in correctly.

They tell me they will work on the fuses and call me back. When they call me back, they tell me that when they plugged the battery back in, the car stalled on them.
They tell me that this time with the AT check light on, and the transmission went into fail safe mode.

Last they told me is they need more time to look at it, as they have never seen this issue before. The technician at the dealership says it might be the body control module, but before telling me for sure they need to check the transmission.

Original symptoms: car dies while driving, car not starting (not even cranking)
Could it be my loose/incorrectly plugged in battery terminals that caused this issue?

Also, My transmission was having absolutely no problems before this incident.

If anybody has experienced this issue, or believes they know of a solution/ what the problem is, it will be a huge help. I am glad to answer any questions