Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

V8 swap passing emissions thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
V8 swap passing emissions thread

Hi guys,

I have been planning a LS1 or LQ9 swap for a few weeks now. Plan to do it myself and trailer it to my tuner. It'll be fun as hell.

It's been a roller coaster. One day I'll be sure I can get it street legal, the next, another rule gets in the way.

The state I am trying to get this on the road in is CT, emissions laws are tight here.

I know of one G owner with a LS1 swap registered in NY, and many others on here and LS1 tech. Most of the guys on LS1 tech have swaps in older nissans so it is easy to get them on the road.

For the few of you that have swaps on "05+ vehicles, could you please shed some light on the subject of making it legal? Yes I understand there is a "Official V8 Swap" forum, but this is an entirely different subject from what works and what doesn't mechanically.

Talking with my tuner we were planning to go with the two ECU set up, using both the GM and the Nissan ECU's to get the job done. I am confident I can get the motor to run when I turn my Infiniti key without going to chase bays or anywhere else for a harness. They are nice, but $800 is worth the few nights of splicing and wiring up relays to me. It is pretty straight forward, especially since chase bays labeled every wire on their web site... Shhh!

I was looking into registering as a composite vehicle but simply swapping a motor does not qualify it as a composite vehicle. Man that would be sweet, they are exempt from emissions.

But because of this, it's back to trying to figure out how to make it pass CT emissions.

I don't care how hard it is, or how long it will take or how much money it could potentially cost because I do most things myself and have access to multiple machine shops at work and school. I save myself a lot of money usually, ha!

When I contacted the composite vehicle center in CT I was told it would be "Impossible because the drive train is different, as well are the electronics it uses"

I have a tuner who is able to tune both ECU's (licensed uprev), and he "knows the guy" at the emissions test center.

Here is a quote from an email between my tuner and I:

"Between turning off the Codes with Up REv and tuning with the GM it will pass."

There are some conflicting opinions that I would like to have cleared up so I don't put $10,000 into a car that I have to trailer to the strip. That isn't the plan, I'd rather sell my G. It is beautiful in CT, I want to enjoy the scenery. I am only ten minutes from the Saville Dam, look it up, beautiful place.

The point is, I love my G and know it in and out. The feeling I get when it is running and driving right is amazingly satisfying but that V6 just isn't enough.

Any experienced opinions out there?

Thanks!!

The following users liked this post:
Stock-Ish (02-28-2018)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
if you like the G, but the V6 isnt enough, why not consider FI?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
if you like the G, but the V6 isnt enough, why not consider FI?
Good question,

After the initial cost of install, which is less than that to build a VQ, the dollar per HP cost with a Chevy motor is significantly lower than the VQ.

To go FI I would need a built longblock, a $5200 turbo kit, $2000 6 speed swap, and much more.

You're looking at 20+ grand to have a ticking time bomb under the hood.

To do the V8 swap a quick list of major components are:
$1500 engine
$2500 T-56 tranny
$1600-3200 swap mount kit depending on brand (I'd make em myself if time wasn't an issue)
$750 clutch/flywheel used or new I don't care right now
There is more to this list but those are the big dollar parts.

a BUNCH of FI guys are going to the V8's lately, so why make the same mistake they did?

The LS1 puts out 400/400 stock... Lots of area under the torque curve.

And that V8 choppy idle, way cool.

Stock LS1 swapped 350z ran a 12.5 on youtube but he did have slicks or radials not sure. They weren't street tires... But regardless it was a bone stock LS1.

Stock-Ish (02-28-2018)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I think you have laid it out pretty well. I contacted a shop here in texas that does it and they said, ball park price would be $15,000 turn key.

Stock-Ish (02-28-2018)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I think you have laid it out pretty well. I contacted a shop here in texas that does it and they said, ball park price would be $15,000 turn key.
Tex,

I'm glad you think so.

I've read countless posts by you, you really know your ****.

Have you been contemplating going through with this swap yourself?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Yes, I'm toying with buying a new Q50 ($50K) or spending $15-20K to do a swap and some brake upgrades. I'm not getting rid of the G regardless.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Yes, I'm toying with buying a new Q50 ($50K) or spending $15-20K to do a swap and some brake upgrades. I'm not getting rid of the G regardless.
Speaking with multiple people today I have concluded that this swap simply won't be happening until 2030.

Texas follows the same emissions standards as CT (I just asked while I was on the phone with CT emissions for ya)

The gentlemen told me about some horror stories of 300ZX's that ran into legal issues.

The government confiscated the vehicles then shut down the shops that did the work. All property was confiscated in those shops.

Running the Nissan ECU and GM ECU is considered tampering with and simulating emissions equipment. Not good.

In addition to emissions the fact that you are modifying the engine displacement and vehicle weight means you are absolutely screwed if you were to get into a civil lawsuit due to an accident.

Jail time, massive fines, and federal offenses on my record are not worth it.

I plan to hold onto the car until 2030...

With that being said I'd go with the Q50 and enjoy them both for what they are.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:57 PM
That's only if you live in Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and a few others. They have very (well not by CA standards) air quality rules.

I remember when I got a new company truck that was bought in Houston, when I came time to get it inspected, they told me I would have to drive it to Houston to get it done or sign and affidavit that I would NEVER drive it in Harris County EVER.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by yosip1115
Good question,

After the initial cost of install, which is less than that to build a VQ, the dollar per HP cost with a Chevy motor is significantly lower than the VQ.

To go FI I would need a built longblock, a $5200 turbo kit, $2000 6 speed swap, and much more.

You're looking at 20+ grand to have a ticking time bomb under the hood.

To do the V8 swap a quick list of major components are:
$1500 engine
$2500 T-56 tranny
$1600-3200 swap mount kit depending on brand (I'd make em myself if time wasn't an issue)
$750 clutch/flywheel used or new I don't care right now
There is more to this list but those are the big dollar parts.

a BUNCH of FI guys are going to the V8's lately, so why make the same mistake they did?

The LS1 puts out 400/400 stock... Lots of area under the torque curve.

And that V8 choppy idle, way cool.

Stock LS1 swapped 350z ran a 12.5 on youtube but he did have slicks or radials not sure. They weren't street tires... But regardless it was a bone stock LS1.
Spoken like a true tuner as many many people always go FI without looking at the cost-to-benefit analysis. Like you, assuming you completed your project already; is how I am likely going to go with an LS Swap. Whereas, right now I have a built top and bottom end (i.e., on my VQDE) giving me an 11 second car - after some weight reduction.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe
Texas - Assuming you're still active on the forums are you still in contact with said shop?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by Stock-Ish
Spoken like a true tuner as many many people always go FI without looking at the cost-to-benefit analysis. Like you, assuming you completed your project already; is how I am likely going to go with an LS Swap. Whereas, right now I have a built top and bottom end (i.e., on my VQDE) giving me an 11 second car - after some weight reduction.
ended up going greddy twin turbo... Don't regret it so far. It's been a good few years with my low mileage stock block. Thing rips the tires off on the highway

Old 03-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Stock-Ish
Texas - Assuming you're still active on the forums are you still in contact with said shop?

That was so long ago, I don’t remember.

I did the cost/benefit analysis and I can’t see putting a $15-20K engine in a car worth $3K.