Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Five Seat Coupe w/ New Stillen Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 08:19 AM
RugRatCoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Five Seat Coupe w/ New Stillen Exhaust

Hi,
For any of you Guys (& Gals) Interested in converting your G- 35 Coupe into a FIVE SEATER, it's a fairly easy mod.
I have Three Kids ages 8, 10 &11(hence the name RugRatCoupe) I was first interested in the G-35 Sedan Great Car, until the Coupe was introduced last fall.
Well, I went to the dealership w/ Kids in tow to see if we could all fit in the new Coupe. I was surprised how roomy the back seat was. Only one BIG problem, with Me & the Kids
in the car there was no room for my Wife, Uh-Oh!!! So after taking delivery of my new Coupe 12-31-02 that was the First Mod.on my List. Don't get me wrong, this is not a family mobile, we have a Honda Odyssey Van w/ DVD for that. But for those occasional times when we all (including Wife & Kids)want to pile into the Car, it's Ready and Waiting.
I anchored the New Lap Belt to the existing inboard seatbelt mounting points. I had an apholstery shop make a removable Pad w/ matching Pleather fabric (remember Kids) and double stitching to match the seating surfaces that just wedges in between the seats. This way I can swap out the Pad for the Rear Seat Console in a matter of Seconds. I bought the Lap Belts at AutoZone, but have Infiniti G-20 Lap Belts on Order to Better Match the Interior, now that I Know this thing could Work.
Oh Yea, Just Installed the New Stillen Cat Back Yesterday,
Sounds Great but not Intrusive. I think the Injen Intake is Louder than the Exhaust.
Sorry for the LONG-WINDED Post. But I've learned so much on this Forum, I just wanted to Share this Mod.& maybe give a little back.
Thanks again, Rick
Pics on Page 9 of Rides...

49076-BackSeat.Smallmagejpg.jpg

Old 05-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Re: Five Seat Coupe w/ New Stillen Exhaust

Very Cool, I hate the fact that my intake is louder than my exhaust.

Old 05-08-2003, 10:29 AM

Wow...Very nice...

So is the old plastic console under your pad, or do you take it out and replace it with the pad? If you replace it, how hard is the plastic console to remove?

G35 Coupe, 6MT, DG, Prem.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:37 AM

I installed my injen on my 5AT last week. I know that the sicking sound comes from up front, but the roar at 6k rpm. that noise is coming from the exhaust right? The roar isn't sounding from the intake but fproduces louder exhaust right?

Old 05-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing that. That middle seat looks nice and flush with the other two. How much useable space would you say is under the center console? Some people may not know that there's a hidden compartment underneath the center panel (pull up on the strap), but it's rather shallow. I was thinking I might stick my old Libretto back there if a decent way to patch it into the Nav screen comes up, but if there's more space underneath maybe it's worth looking into molding a custom unit to house other things. It's not like I will actually allow backseat passengers to have drinks for those cupholders. They're lucky I don't make them put on extra deodorant, or biohazard suits.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 05-08-2003, 07:53 PM

Excellent work!

I dont need a 5th seat, HECK! i dont even need the 2 in the back(ive used them twice ever!) But if I did use them often I would defintaly want to follow your floor plan to create the 5th seat. Could someone do me a favor and postor direct me to a picture of the stock rear console.

Marcel

Marcel

Old 05-08-2003, 10:31 PM
RugRatCoupe

Nas4a,
Due to the high tunnel between the back seats you can only use them( Pad or the Rear Console) one at a time.
The pad I had made is about 2" thick, I just took it out an left it w/ the Upholsters, after I showed them the car & what I wanted. They kept the rear console so they could get the width & length right for the pad.
The Rear Console is pretty easy to remove. there are 4 clips underneath the console that attach to 1/4" round bars.
The front two are 5 1/2 "from the front of the console.These pull straight up. Grab the console just past the drink holders & pull staight-up. The rear 2 clips are made to pull forward & up. After you pull the console up inthe front, just pull the whole thintoward the front of the car & slightly up. It should come right out.
With the arrangment I have, I can Pull my rear Console out walk around throw it in my trunk, grab the pad out of the trunk & wedge it in between the rear seats in just a few seconds.
Hope this helps, any other questions you can P.M me or Email me at rwade3@aol.com
Take-care, Rick

Old 05-08-2003, 10:41 PM
RugRatCoupe

SixFive,
Even with the Louder Stillen Exhaust at full throttle, I can still hear more of the Injen intake than I can the Exhaust note. Of course thats from inside the Coupe. I'd be curious to see just how loud the Stillen is from the outside of the car.
Maybe I need to arrange a friend to drive it so I can Listen...
See-ya, Rick

Old 05-08-2003, 11:07 PM

I'm curious, how much did it cost you to do the rear console seat?

Old 05-09-2003, 10:15 AM
RugRatCoupe

FDNameBrands,
I paid $180.00 for the Pad, you can probably get it made cheaper. I went w/ this guy because of the double stitching to match the rear seats & his reputation for excellent work.
If I get enough interest in this Five Seat Conversion, I might
consider making a Kit available w/ the custom pad and the matching Infiniti Lap Belts. you can contact me on the Private Message or E-mail me at :rwade3@aol.com

Old 05-09-2003, 10:33 AM
RugRatCoupe

JDMan,
Due to the high center tunnel running down the middle of the G35c, there is not alot of room underneath the Rear Console.
In fact I believe the bottom of the console(underneath the Hidden Compartment ) is sitting right on the center tunnel.
To remove the rear console: Grab it about 6" from the front of the console & PULL STRAIGHT -UP (two clips attach the front & two clips attach the rear) Then after you have the front pulled up, Pull the whole console toward the Front of the Car. It should come right out.
Good Luck w/ your project!
Rick

Old 05-09-2003, 08:03 PM

For $180 that sounds pretty good to me thought it would be more expensive. BTW, it looks very nice has a very OEM look to it.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2020, 11:58 PM
Basic
Make me one

What was the cusion made of, you should go into buisness and make these I would pay for one