Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Replacing Head Gasket after over heat - Planing heads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Success. She runs.
Trying to figure out where this blue plug connects to?
I have the side from the engine wire harness, not sure what it connects too...
EDIT: Disregard arrows, not my actual picture

Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 AM
Went for a short 7 mile trip, all seems well.
Didn't pass 4k rpm, going to take it easy till the next oil change.
Temps constant, pulls well, transmission is silky, all seems good so far....

Old 11-25-2015, 01:15 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great Work Man! Been following as you went along with the project. Keep us posted on how it goes throughout!

-Ali

Old 11-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Awesome! Makes me not as scared to tackle my own DIY rebuild.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys, feels good to be back on the road.
I'll definitely keep you updating as I break her in and put more miles on.
Shouldn't be too bad doing a normal rebuild. My main worry was how the removed material from heads/deck would affect clearance, compression and timing and also making sure I didn't have any oil leaks from the numerous RTV seals and O-rings.

Right now I have no idea where that blue plug goes, but there doesn't seem to be a problem with it. If someone knows that'd be helpful. Also I have a misfire (or two) most likely from my Einstein coilpacks which are made up of my original coilpack top and some other nissan stalks/springs. I don't actually have a CEL/MIL but I am pretty sure the miss is due to the coilpacks. I never did anything back to the throttle body, not sure if that might cause a problem - haven't 'calibrated' it or anything.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Tonight I drove about 6/7 miles out to the store, when I was 4/5 miles on my way back home the temp was going up a couple notches quickly so I shut her off and pulled over. I was on the highway doing around 70 cruising. Found a hose had disconnected and dumped the coolant. Connected hose back, filled with water, took just over a gallon to fill the rad and top off the expansion tank.
Started back up and drove about a half mile before I see the needle going back up again.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping it's as simple as needing a coolant bleed (just threw in water at the side of the road) but maybe the water pump is out? Put about 40 miles now on the engine

Old 11-29-2015, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
Tonight I drove about 6/7 miles out to the store, when I was 4/5 miles on my way back home the temp was going up a couple notches quickly so I shut her off and pulled over. I was on the highway doing around 70 cruising. Found a hose had disconnected and dumped the coolant. Connected hose back, filled with water, took just over a gallon to fill the rad and top off the expansion tank.
Started back up and drove about a half mile before I see the needle going back up again.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping it's as simple as needing a coolant bleed (just threw in water at the side of the road) but maybe the water pump is out? Put about 40 miles now on the engine
Pretty Sure you may need to bleed the system. Not too hard. Just takes a hell of a lot of time to do it lol. You can check for a leaking water pump by checking the seep hole near the pump itself on the outside of the block. I would check thermostat as well. Let us know how it goes and I hope this helps!

-Ali

The following users liked this post:
BradMD_96 (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 09:47 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
^^^ WHS. There is a bleed valve at the back of the intake manifold. Refer to the service manual. Air gets trapped and causes a hot spot. You may have to do it 4-5 times to get it all out.

BradMD_96 (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Before bleeding out the system I flicked the a/c on to find my fans stationary. Giving them a push got them going, one stopped back, so I found what I am sure is the issue. I am thinking this is why the car overheated in the first place with the PO and probably while I was driving it the first time.

I opened up both fan motors to find 2/4 brushes stuck on one and 3/4 on the other. I took the brushes out, cleaned all the carbon powder and lubricated the brush holders/sliders. We had a 350z back in England and the same thing happened to those motors.My brother wrote up a thread here with how to fix them.
http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/69810-h...s-youtube-vid/

Last edited by BradMD_96; 11-30-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Infiniti put out an extended warranty on the radiator fans due to high failure rates. Sounds like bad fans are the root cause in all of this.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:54 AM
I agree. Had the same happen to me. Only one fan would be spinning with the AC on idle. It would begin to overheat. Swapped the cooling fan rack and its been good since.

You can find the whole rack or individual motors on Amazon Prime. The individual motors are around 40 each and the whole rack is around 90 or so.

Amazon.com: TYC 620980 Infiniti/Nissan Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: TYC 620980 Infiniti/Nissan Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Assembly: Automotive
(the whole rack)

Amazon.com: TYC 631210 Infiniti G-35 Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Motor: Automotive Amazon.com: TYC 631210 Infiniti G-35 Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Motor: Automotive
(individual fans)

I tried finding the fans locally and they were pretty expensive. Decided to one day ship these out from Amazon and swapped them the next day.

About a 15-20 min job to do it. The top radiator cooling line has to come off to slide the old rack out.

Let us know how it goes!
-Ali

BradMD_96 (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Infiniti put out an extended warranty on the radiator fans due to high failure rates. Sounds like bad fans are the root cause in all of this.
Yeah, the bad fans probably caused the initial overheat.
I opened both up, cleaned what needed cleaning, refitted and they work fine when I flick the a/c on and should be fine on the road. Waiting on a pair of coilpacks before I drive much further.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
Yeah, the bad fans probably caused the initial overheat.
I opened both up, cleaned what needed cleaning, refitted and they work fine when I flick the a/c on and should be fine on the road. Waiting on a pair of coilpacks before I drive much further.
Why not just get some coilpacks from autozone or something? One of mine broke and just replaced it with a duralast. Works fine.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Why not just get some coilpacks from autozone or something? One of mine broke and just replaced it with a duralast. Works fine.
Yeah maybe should have tried that. I paid for a pair to a forum member last week and haven't heard back from them since.....

Old 12-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Got my replacement (used) coilpacks fitted last night, idles and drives great now.
Thanks saywat? for the coilpacks

saywat? (01-12-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing Head Gasket after over heat - Planing heads?