Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Plenum Spacer and Your Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plenum Spacer and Your Warranty

I talked w/ my service advisor. I explained this mod to him in detail. He stated that he can not see why that would void a warranty. He said that he would check with the service manager but he is pretty sure that it would not void the warranty even if they knew it was installed.

Just thought that I would share.
Now if I can just get aresponse to buy one...

Old 02-22-2005, 06:45 PM
it can't affect your warranty by simply installing it. if something were to fail on your engine i'm sure they would change their attitude though.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:42 PM
I think they would need to prove that it caused your engine to run dangerously lean or had other adverse effects, which I don't believe is much of a concern with this particular mod. I would expect most dealers to treat the spacer like any other standard intake mod such as a K&N, etc.

I would however recommend building a relationship with service people, and sticking with the same people every time you do service, even if it's just a few oil changes or something, to form that relationship, and make it a point to do so. This GREATLY decreases the chances of them giving you a hard time with respect to mods on your car, when something more serious does come up.

Just walking in off the street into a service department you don't know and demanding warranty work, I would almost expect them to be difficult about it. I have seen this happen time and time again and people never seem to learn.

Not directing these comments towards anyone specific, just offering a bit of advice based on personal experience

Old 02-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I talked w/ my service advisor. I explained this mod to him in detail. He stated that he can not see why that would void a warranty. He said that he would check with the service manager but he is pretty sure that it would not void the warranty even if they knew it was installed.

Just thought that I would share.
Now if I can just get aresponse to buy one...
I'm going in for my 3 month service in a week or so and I plan on asking my service advisor the same thing...it never hurts to know in advance how they will view the mod. The only other change I have made is added a z tube.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by maxpower
I'm going in for my 3 month service in a week or so and I plan on asking my service advisor the same thing...it never hurts to know in advance how they will view the mod. The only other change I have made is added a z tube.

what dealer you going to? I'd be interested in seeing what they tell you.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:10 PM
It would definitely be worth the $80 or so to do a post-spacer dyno run with A/F ratios. Good for peace of mind and good evidence to have if anything should ever happen. I had the dealer install my UR pulley set. I specifically asked about warrantee issues there and they said "if we install it, we cover it". I got it in writing and all is well 20000 miles later. I'm not saying to have the dealer install the spacer, but if they agree to do the work, it is much more difficult for them to point the finger should anything happen.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:14 PM
hmmm good point ballisticus

Old 02-22-2005, 10:39 PM
since the dealer I bought my car from displays, sells and installs everything from modified Intakes (pop charger style) exhausts, K&N, etc....

They'd be pretty hard pressed to say anything. More over, this is the advantage of buying local. The dealer wants your return business on buying cars. They screw you, they never sell you another car - and they know it.

Rarely does the factory get involved in a warranty issue. the dealer determines if it is a warranty or not. If they say no, you can appeal to the manufacturer.

Frankly - other than a service/check up every 15 or 30k the dealer will never see me.
I do my own oil, do my own air filter, etc....

Old 02-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by robbdogg
what dealer you going to? I'd be interested in seeing what they tell you.

Southwest Infiniti, I'll let you know what they say. where did you get your G?

Old 02-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you ever have a problem, remove the spacer and then take it in to the dealer

Old 02-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by maxpower
Southwest Infiniti, I'll let you know what they say. where did you get your G?
Thanks - be interesting to hear about it. I got mine at clear lake infiniti - SW is actually much closer, but the sales guy dropped the ball, so he lost my business. I was ready to buy that day, and he didn't get back to me soon enough.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Former G35 Driver
This could change if the dealers get too many warranty claims for blown motors, etc.
Ultimately the factory can deny a warranty repair payment to the dealer. This is
happening with the Subaru WRXs and Mitsu EVOs. Dealers who sold mods and were
'mod' friendly do sell mod parts any more.

Hopefully not since Infiniti still wants to keep the luxury image and customer satisfaction rating high.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by ballisticus
It would definitely be worth the $80 or so to do a post-spacer dyno run with A/F ratios. Good for peace of mind and good evidence to have if anything should ever happen. I had the dealer install my UR pulley set. I specifically asked about warrantee issues there and they said "if we install it, we cover it". I got it in writing and all is well 20000 miles later. I'm not saying to have the dealer install the spacer, but if they agree to do the work, it is much more difficult for them to point the finger should anything happen.

Very good suggestion. Skeleton_crew used his A/F readings quite successfully when dealership tried to put the blame on his mods.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:58 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robbdogg
Thanks - be interesting to hear about it. I got mine at clear lake infiniti - SW is actually much closer, but the sales guy dropped the ball, so he lost my business. I was ready to buy that day, and he didn't get back to me soon enough.
Southwest Infiniti lost my business a long time ago, shortly after purchasing my Sedan from them. The service guy proceeded to tell me that resetting the ECU could "burn it out". Then went on to tell me about how the G35 DID NOT have a rev-limiter and I could easily trash my engine if I took it near redline. Then the Parts Jerk went on to tell me that I needed to provide him with my color code in order to special order the "rear underbody diffusers", and that they would cost me around $550. I will never go back there!

Old 02-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by cato
Southwest Infiniti lost my business a long time ago, shortly after purchasing my Sedan from them. The service guy proceeded to tell me that resetting the ECU could "burn it out". Then went on to tell me about how the G35 DID NOT have a rev-limiter and I could easily trash my engine if I took it near redline. Then the Parts Jerk went on to tell me that I needed to provide him with my color code in order to special order the "rear underbody diffusers", and that they would cost me around $550. I will never go back there!

Man that sucks. I don't blame you. I had actually given them a second chance, since one of the times I went out there to look at the G's I got about zero help. The guys over at CL were more helpful - we will see how their service department is.

Where do you take yours now?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plenum Spacer and Your Warranty