Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

VQ35DE Revup rebuild. help me.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VQ35DE Revup rebuild. help me.

Ok so here's the deal the last time I posted was about a rattling noise the car was making after I replaced the clutch. It soon after turned into a knock for god knows what reason. It took me a while to find a decent motor that didn't cost an arm and a led. Finally found one person I put it took about 3-4 months swapping it. -_- so I've been driving it for about 3 months now. I've been keeping a close eye on it because it came out of a wrecked g35 t(collision in the front). So a week ago I started hearing a slapping from the engine bay sounds like its coming from the driver side. 2 weeks before it over heated driving home from work(thermostat). So now instead of having to find another motor if or when it happens again. I wanna rebuild it before it does. I already have my list of parts together and ima start with valves, springs, retainers, cams, etc. Then I will move on to pistons, rings, connecting rods gaskets etc. Only motors I've ever taken apart were 4 cylinders(240sx) I've never done anything bigger. My question is does anyone know of any guides, videos or threads of how to go about this. I'm not a pro mechanic but not clueless either. Any pointer, tips or ideas? Thanks in advance guys. And if there's already a thread about this that I didn't catch I apologize.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
im not sure what you are shooting for here.
but if you have to pay someone else to swap a motor for you, i would not attempt to rebuild it.
esp if they took 3-4 months to do a 2-3 day job, thats just sad...

a lot of parts you listed for your rebuild dont need replaced, unless they are broken.
you are going to end up basically lighting your money on fire by the end of this.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by andrewvk
im not sure what you are shooting for here.
but if you have to pay someone else to swap a motor for you, i would not attempt to rebuild it.
esp if they took 3-4 months to do a 2-3 day job, thats just sad...

a lot of parts you listed for your rebuild dont need replaced, unless they are broken.
you are going to end up basically lighting your money on fire by the end of this.
I didn't pay him I let him keep my old motor it was a deal we made. Only reason I didn't do it myself is because I didn't have an engine lift or the space I live in apartments.

I don't wanna just replace what's not broken. I wanna replace as much as I can so it doesn't become broken down the road. Some people believe if it's not broken then don't mess with it. Well I'm not one of those. I want this motor to last as long as possible. That is why I am choosing to replace these parts. Plus I haven't taken the motor apart YET so I do not know what is, isn't or might be broken. That's why I listed all these parts.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
The only engine I've rebuilt was an SR20 in my 240, and I'm imagining the only major difference is dealing with two heads and the large timing chain (obviously a little more than that). The best guide is going to be the EM (Engine Mechanical) section of the FSM, the whole FSM is good to have btw. It provides torque specs and sequences, and breaks down disassembly/assembly of the engine.

I'm also in the same boat and considering rebuilding my 2006 revup. My problem is that I have almost 200k miles and it's now consuming oil pretty bad. I'm trying to find a used engine to rebuild and swap into my car, but it's kind of crazy that the revup has an almost 1k premium over regular VQs from the salvage yards.

Here's my "LoSt180's FullRetard" shopping list for a complete engine rebuild (mild build):
Z1 Basic Rebuild Kit Level 2:
- OEM Overhaul Gasket Set
- Pistons - 11.0 CR 96mm (.020" OS)
- Eagle Rods
- ACL Bearings

HR Head Gaskets
MR Head Bolts (or just get Level 3 rebuild kit that comes with ARP bolts)
Revup Oil Pump
VQ Timing Kit
Water Pump
Rear Main Seal (not included in overhaul kit)

Misc (Optional Parts I'm considering):
Silicone Hose Set
Clutch/Flywheel setup (so I don't have to take anything apart any time soon)
Headers (since engine is out anyway)

I'm currently sitting at over $2,500 in just engine parts (not the optional parts listed). You can also get a rebuild kit from Rockauto for around $400, could be all you're looking for to get back on the road.

If you're going to have to pay someone to do the work, might as well look into an ImportPartsPro built shortblock. It comes with most of the hard work done. I have a garage and can afford to take my time when I get around to it. If you're in an apartment you're going to be stuck with this thing sitting in your dining room with your wife/gf/man-lover complaining about it until it's done, or at the mercy of whomever allows you to use their space.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
just 5.3 swap it at that point.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
The only engine I've rebuilt was an SR20 in my 240, and I'm imagining the only major difference is dealing with two heads and the large timing chain (obviously a little more than that). The best guide is going to be the EM (Engine Mechanical) section of the FSM, the whole FSM is good to have btw. It provides torque specs and sequences, and breaks down disassembly/assembly of the engine.

I'm also in the same boat and considering rebuilding my 2006 revup. My problem is that I have almost 200k miles and it's now consuming oil pretty bad. I'm trying to find a used engine to rebuild and swap into my car, but it's kind of crazy that the revup has an almost 1k premium over regular VQs from the salvage yards.

Here's my "LoSt180's FullRetard" shopping list for a complete engine rebuild (mild build):
Z1 Basic Rebuild Kit Level 2:
- OEM Overhaul Gasket Set
- Pistons - 11.0 CR 96mm (.020" OS)
- Eagle Rods
- ACL Bearings

HR Head Gaskets
MR Head Bolts (or just get Level 3 rebuild kit that comes with ARP bolts)
Revup Oil Pump
VQ Timing Kit
Water Pump
Rear Main Seal (not included in overhaul kit)

Misc (Optional Parts I'm considering):
Silicone Hose Set
Clutch/Flywheel setup (so I don't have to take anything apart any time soon)
Headers (since engine is out anyway)

I'm currently sitting at over $2,500 in just engine parts (not the optional parts listed). You can also get a rebuild kit from Rockauto for around $400, could be all you're looking for to get back on the road.

If you're going to have to pay someone to do the work, might as well look into an ImportPartsPro built shortblock. It comes with most of the hard work done. I have a garage and can afford to take my time when I get around to it. If you're in an apartment you're going to be stuck with this thing sitting in your dining room with your wife/gf/man-lover complaining about it until it's done, or at the mercy of whomever allows you to use their space.
Thatnks for your input man. We pretty much have the same shopping list. I was also looking at the stage 2 rebuild kit and had also looked into the built short block I found that in the forum before i posted the. Only difference is I also wanna do valve train. Idk how the previous owner treated this engine so I wanna replace all that in case something is bent or out of place somewhere in there, plus it'd be nice to have higher revs, haha. I actually downloaded the FSM last night but I figure its better to have the actual hard copy. As far as space. There's a storage place 2 block from my house that doesn't charge much, I was thinking of doing that so I don't have parts laying all over my apartment. Haha.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by andrewvk
just 5.3 swap it at that point.
I've actually looked into VH and VK series. . McKinney motorsports has a mounting kit for the VK56 that sits the engine as low and forward as possible for clearemce and they have a pretty good reputation. I would do it if I had an extra 6 grand laying around. Worst case scenario I'll just do and RB swap