Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

This Might Be A Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Might Be A Dumb Question

What’s up guys

As you all might know when tampering with our g35 if u make an error the Service Engine Soon light shows.
Our G’s are so sensitive about it.
As most of you know I just recently installed the INJEN CAI, I forgot to unplug the battery before I disconnected the MAF sensor. When I was done installing it drove the car around and of course I got the service engine soon light. I easily took care of via resetting ECU with the Pedal Method. The car was fine running perfect as usual. Then all of a sudden the light came back on, BUT when it came on, I notices that my drive side Dome light bulb was out.

My Question Is, What caused the Service Engine Light Soon light to come on?

A.There is a Problem with the Intake
(Note: after I reset the ECU it was running fine. No problems, NO Service Engine Soon Light)

B.The Bulb that blew out is causing the problem.
(Note: I am planning on replacing the bulb today, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought)

---Thank you all who Help---

Old 02-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Devil's Advocate
It's modifying, not tampering. There's a big difference.

I wouldn't think that a dome light would throw a CEL, but I guess it's possible.

Last edited by roneski; 02-23-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:14 PM
You guess were rite it wasnt the dome light, i replaced the led Bulbs i had with the stock one and they light still remains

i have an appointment at the dealer friday 2/25

Old 02-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Dude,
Before you go to the dealer, stop by your local auto parts store and ask them if they can put a code reader on your car to see what caused the light to come on. If this is due to the mods you did, I would remove the mods because the dealer will try to void your warranty (at least on this part of your car.
Good luck,
Phatnine11

Old 02-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Is your car running real rough at idle? Most likely you did something with the MAF when you were installing your CAI. Maybe you didn't plug the wiring harness all the way into the MAF. Maybe you damaged something on the MAF in the process. In any case resetting the ECU is only going to temporarily make the SES light go away if you didn't take care of the problem that caused the SES to go off in the first place. Like phat911 suggested go somewhere that has an OBD-II reader so that you can read the trouble code that is causing the SES light. Then you will have a much better idea of what is wrong. If you broke your MAF that will be an expensive part to replace.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:23 PM
InFaMous,
One more question. Since I'm not familar with the Injen system, did you also install a washable air filter? If yes, did you oil the filter before you installed it? What happens many times is too much oil is used and it coats the MAF sensor causing problems. Maybe someone on the list can provide you with a prcedure for cleaning the MAF unit. Always oils the filter, let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes and wipe up any excess oil.
Good luck,
Phatnine11

Old 02-25-2005, 01:40 PM
thanks for all the help guys

i actually went to a nissan service center and one of the guys helped me out.
he serviced it for free and told me what the possible problem might be..
He says that the injen intake takes in soo much air. that the air ratio to the fuel ratio that is being put in the engine is unbalanced. There is more air than fuel.

can any 1 give me a solution to this problem....
i was thinking High Flow Fuel Pump, but what do i know?

thanks

Old 02-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Howdy!
Are other people with an Injen CAI throwing CELs? I wouldn't think putting in a CAI would throw CELs just because of the extra air. I'd check to see if other owners are having this problem with the Injen before you start doing further mods to correct a problem that might not be there.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:12 PM
The Injen CAI should NOT pull in so much extra air that your MAF will not know what to do and thus the SES. The more typical scenario is damaging the MAF while installing the CAI. Like I said before, go get yourself or have someone with a OBD-II reader read your trouble code before you do anything else. Cause right now all you're doing is shooting in the dark, especially with that High Flow Fuel Pump idea.

Originally Posted by dklau33
Like phat911 suggested go somewhere that has an OBD-II reader so that you can read the trouble code that is causing the SES light.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:20 PM
high flow fuel pump....for just a CAI?? maybe if you had FI

Old 02-25-2005, 05:08 PM
yea..... i think u guys are rite i might have damaged it, SH*T...i have to get the OBD-II reader done....

once again....thank u for all ur help guys

Last edited by InFaMOuS_G; 02-25-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:26 PM
nothing should be damaged, but there are certain directions to re-set the ecu when u install performance parts, and it should be basically the ecu "reading" that you added something new and forgot to unplug the battery correctly, there shouldnt be a problem, just take it to Infiniti and they should be more than happy to check the car, and shut the light off, no problem, good luck

Old 02-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InFaMOuS_G
thanks for all the help guys

i actually went to a nissan service center and one of the guys helped me out.
he serviced it for free and told me what the possible problem might be..
He says that the injen intake takes in soo much air. that the air ratio to the fuel ratio that is being put in the engine is unbalanced. There is more air than fuel.

can any 1 give me a solution to this problem....
i was thinking High Flow Fuel Pump, but what do i know?

thanks
The MAF reads how much air is going in and automatically adjusts the A/F ratio accordingly. As long as everything is within range of the sensors and the hardware that delivers fuel, then you'll be fine. I doubt an intake will deliver that much more air.

Damage the MAF is possible, but those things are pretty durable. If the MAF was bad, it would probably go into safe mode aonly rev to a certain RPM or you'ld have a very poorly running engine. And as far as cleaning, they self clean. Upon shut down, the hotwire goes up in temp to a very high temp momentarily to burn off any contaminants. A lot of peole run blow-through MAF set-ups on turbo cars and the valve cover breather vent tube is generally infront of the turbo and MAF. This means they get a small amount of oil going through their MAF. I've heard of no problems with this.

If you pull the error code it will tell you what sensor(s) is out of spec. Either the sensor itself is bad or it is getting a bad reading. Did you make sure to plug in all sensors? Something as simple as an intake air temp sensor can cause an error code.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by InFaMOuS_G
yea..... i think u guys are rite i might have damaged it, SH*T...i have to get the OBD-II reader done....

once again....thank u for all ur help guys
What way is your MAF Pointing. I have seen pics where it was installed wronge. Here is a pic. The harness should point to the air cond. lines. That is how the factory installed it.

Last edited by GEE PASTA; 01-21-2006 at 07:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This Might Be A Dumb Question