Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth it?

So I've been doing a lot of research because I wanted to turn a G35 coupe into my project car. Now before you tune out, I'm not looking to ask a question that has been asked and answered hundreds of times. I've done plenty of research. In doing the research, I've kind of started to get cold feet on account of all the horror stories; from the kid who was trying to have his car built in a shop and had it there for over a year with nothing to show for it, to people blowing their engine on the dyno, to the problems with the clutch, etc.

I really like the G35 coupe styling and having owned one when I was younger I still have the emotional connection to it. My goal was to build the bottom end on a VQ35 and boost it with the hope of having a semi-reliable car that I can track. After doing research I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better off using a different platform that has more support and less problems.

So I'd like to hear your opinions, specially from the guys who have been there. So should I or shouldn't I?

Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Most issues in building ANY vehicle come from people who are either:

-Setting unrealistic goals for the limitation or factory stock components.

Or

-Nor properly researching how upgrades affect other aspects of the vehicle.

Or

-Being stupid and blowing stuff up because they got too greedy for performance.

If you're willing to take the time and invest the money the platform is capable of quite a bit of performance, however true performance comes at a price that most aren't willing to pay.

Fully built suspension/brakes/intake/built motor/forced induction/clutch/clutch LSD/exhaust/rims/tires and you will be around $20k not including labor.

Performance threshold for N/A is ~300whp, block can handle light forced induction and ~400whp, anything else requires beefing the internals.

Personally I like the G because it simply LOOKS better than other vehicles. If I was going to build something that was just silly fast it would be either a GTR if money was no object, Evo if you still had to work with a budget. A buddies Evo is making ~854whp and it was still affordable (about as much as a small house).

The following users liked this post:
Ceedagr8 (07-09-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 12:06 AM
I'm pretty realistic with my HP goals. Ive read up quite a bit and have seen what numbers people are putting up. Secondly, I'm not looking for a drag car. Honestly I'd be content with a reliable 400-500hp car. I guess the alternative would be to buy one that comes that way from the factory but what's the fun in that?

My my biggest concern came from reading build threads that didn't workout. I began to get the idea the VQ was kind of temperamental and the aftermarket support just isn't there as with other platforms. The problem with the other platforms is they don't appeal to me (e.g. 240s, E36, Evo, etc).

Old 06-28-2017, 12:17 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Yeah, the platform itself is and couldn't be the problem if you're willling to do it right. Like previous post said, what are your goals performance wise, but also, how much comfort do you want to keep AND what are your main concerns in the first place? I mean, the platform itself is simply a frame and a shell. Where you want to go with it and the reality of how far you can go with your budget are the real "is it worth it" questions. Your question is a bit vague.

like PPer said too, it will cost you at least $20k to build it right if you wanna go FI, and if you wanna go to an LS swap or something instead there are comfort and handling trade-offs, not to mention dash light annoyances, etc.

if you REALLY wanna do it, I'd build yer suspension first, then just buy a built longblock VQ from someone like IPP, install all the supporting mods you'll want for your future FI endeavor and then add FI when yer ready. That way you kind of split up the cost over time but still get to reap the rewards of your upgrades as you go.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:20 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by G35ProjectCar
I'm pretty realistic with my HP goals. Ive read up quite a bit and have seen what numbers people are putting up. Secondly, I'm not looking for a drag car. Honestly I'd be content with a reliable 400-500hp car. I guess the alternative would be to buy one that comes that way from the factory but what's the fun in that?

My my biggest concern came from reading build threads that didn't workout. I began to get the idea the VQ was kind of temperamental and the aftermarket support just isn't there as with other platforms. The problem with the other platforms is they don't appeal to me (e.g. 240s, E36, Evo, etc).
plenty of support for the VQ if you look around. Problem is there's not a lot you can do with it unless you go FI (the motor was near perfect from the factory), but we have one of THE best tuning companies. Uprev has gone FAR with Nissan ecus. They've literally reverse engineered the Nissan ecu code and most other cars get patch tuning programs; we get actual Nissan quality tunes. It's really good.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 AM
Scraggle,

I was kinda vague because I didn't want to ramble on about what my plans are because I mainly wanted to see if the G is a good platform or if it's too much of a hassle.

So to provide more detail, I'm looking for a G35 to build over some time. I'm not in a rush to get it to 500whp over the summer. This would be more of a project over the next couple of years. First step would be to get a G and upgrade some of the suspension and keep it stock for a while until I save up to build the bottom end. Ideally I would like to get a spare engine to work on while the stock engine is still running. Once the stock motor gives out, I'd install the built engine and eventually boost it. So I'd probably get stock compression since it would be running NA until I boost it.

My concern, since I plan on doing the work myself, is the support for the platform. With some of the other platforms, there's been so much done that you'd be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't dealt with your issue. Another concern as I've been doing research is the problem with the clutch. I was dead set on getting 6MT but after reading all the problems with the sticky clutch, I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle and 5AT just doesn't sound fun. I just don't want to be spending money on extra things since it takes funds away from my main goal.

I think I'm just suffering from paralysis by analysis.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:26 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
147k miles on my 6MT, clutch still great.

These days, its hard to beat an LS swap for 400-500 reliable horsepower and its been done multiple times in the G35/350Z. I believe the swap kit that addresses wiring issues, mounts, etc is fully sorted now. But between that, the engine, transmission, etc you're going to put $10-15k into the car depending on how much work you do yourself. There is also a lot more room in the engine bay since the cam is in the block. So if you want to really bump the power with turbo(s) you have more room to work with.

But you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it to you (because you'll never get the money back out of it) to put that kind of money into a car currently worth what, $6-9k? If you want to look at it is Camaro SS power levels in a lighter car for less than $25k for the car and mods and being a total sleeper (if you can keep it quiet), then maybe the money isn't as much of an issue.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I wouldn't put a ton of stock into clutch issues, most of those are folks not upgrading other components like the clutch slave cylinder, braided line, etc. Or using a sketchy (but cheap!) clutch to begin with, especially as the power levels you're talking about it's not really an issue.

Also many folks aren't realistic about the feel and noise of a performance clutch, they get progressively harsher the more holding power it has.

There has been a ton of work done by folks over the last decade+ on G35 and 350Z's, their trial and error is your (our) benefit and a lot has been learned.

If youre referencing threads from early-mid 2000's then yeah there was a lot of kabooms and bad experiences, it's not really the case anymore if you take your time to prepare the vehicle properly because we know so much more about what exactly the vehicle can handle in various situations.

Didn't really help that 3 different motors we're used in the G and each had its own quirks 😑

Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The question to be answered is, can you afford it? I know I can't. My car is now only worth around $7,500USD and a decent turbo set-up (including internals) plus installation is worth nearly three times that. Although I hate to say it, you can drive off the lot with something like a Mustang for not much more than that and it comes without the headaches of "will it blow up on me" because not only was it designed to produce that much power in the first place, but has a shiny warranty.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my G for the sentimental reasons you've stated previously, but I don't see being able to do the above mentioned.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
A Z06 Corvette with an aftermarket supercharger would outperform a G35 in every category. And would probably cost about the same in the end.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:04 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think what really matters is "is it worth it to you". People trick out ALL manner of vehicles from old 40's mobster rides to 60's era muscle cars to 90's imports, diesel trucks, etc.

Some are harder than others due to limited aftermarket and oem restoration support, fortunately you will have none of those issues with the G.

Can you build 1k+ hp on the motor? Sure, it's expensive AF but it can be done, the block can handle up to 1300hp before the limits of design have been reached. 550-600 is basically the limit of something that could still resemble daily driver material and make it to 60k miles. Check out some dynosty vids on YouTube, they build some amazing machines.

Can you build a Corvette and have superior track performance in every aspect? Yes, but that's a completely different vehicle and if performance was all you wanted then you would own one already and wouldn't have a G35 sitting in your driveway A Corvette isn't a LUXURY sports coupe, it's a pure-blooded racecar.

The G fits an extremely narrow niche market, luxury import sports coupe (not so narrow in sedan form), and it fills that niche incredible well, if it's worth it to YOU then don't let anyone else hold you back.

Last edited by cleric670; 06-28-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Massive typos.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
OP

All cars have a horrible story. All cities have bad tuner shops. You really only here about the bad stories much more than normal good stories. If I get a normal brake job with rotors and pads I don't get on the forums and talk about how well they greased the back of the pads or they shined my calipers for me. If they forgot to screw in the lug nuts and my wheel fell off on the freeway doing 135mph. Doesn't mean there is anything bad about the car, it was the installer. See my point. I had 2 close friends that used 2 different shops for those $10 plus thousand builds. Those once in a lifetime builds and they get screwed over and the cars doesn't even idle or drive properly. One car was a old Blazer, the other was a 01 Mustang Cobra. These 2 were horror stories that took over a year and ended bad. They didn't do there research on shops. Calling and using a random shop in the phone book is like scratching a lottery ticket off.

Any car can be a project car. The only downside I see to this car is how terribly expensive it is for a nice decent differential. All of the available aftermarket differentials are outrageous in price and labor. I could build a Ford or Chevy differential for $500 in parts and hold over 1000HP and launch at redline. That same process in a G/Z is thousands

Other than that, replacement parts new from rock auto and used are cheap as hell and readily available. $50 door panel, $25 lower seat and so on.

This can be a good budgeted project car vs other options that are either not cool or way to expensive. My mistake was I chose a new car as a project car. I kept the car ten plus years but the price of parts on a new car is outrageous. Look at the prices guys with 2014+ Mustang and Camaros are paying. I met someone that bought $2200 headers the other day, lol. So I say go with it from 20 years in this game as my background.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
160k plus miles on my black rev up 6mt totally stock with execption of intake from ebay ...i love her if you went with a G35 definitely a good platform for whatever application or plans you had or want to do IMO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.