Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Misfire at idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire at idle

So my car has been having misfires at idle for months now. It started with a cery aggressive misfire like 3 every second, so I replaced the spark plug and the plug was soaked in oil and it got all over the ignition coil. It sends a P0306 code. Recently its been getting worse and one day when i was driving the check engine light started flashing and the car felt like it was going to barely make it home. It has gotten better since then but the misfire is still present at idle. When I step on the gas there is a big hesitation with acceleration. I have tried pretty much everything. Ive replaced both valve covers and valve cover gaskets, ive replaced the spark plugs and the 6th cylinder's ignition coil, ive replaced the intake manifold gaskets, ive replaved the PCV valve. Ive tried cleaning the throttle body with seafoam. I tried resetting the ECU and relearning the idle. I was considering either taking it to the dealer and having a diagnostic ran or going for a cam positioning sensor. Please if anyone has any clue what could be causing the misfire let me know.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
You can listen to the injectors and make sure they all sound the same. I haven't done this on my G so don't know how accessible they are with the intake tube in place. With a mechanics stethoscope (or a long screwdriver with the handle in your ear) firmly touching the injectors, you can hear the ticking sound they make when they actuate. If any one of them sounds significantly different like you don't hear ticking for instance, you could have a problem with the injector or the harness to it and this can cause a misfire just like a bad coil or plug. I had one act up on me in a different vehicle and was able to "fix" it by tapping the injector and it started ticking again and the misfire that made the car completely undriveable disappeared immediately.

It may not be your problem but doesn't hurt to try and you'll learn another easy thing to check when troubleshooting misfires. Search youtube if you don't understand what I'm saying about using a screwdriver to do this.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Did you.... check the ecu code it was throwing?

Old 03-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by jbarnett250
You can listen to the injectors and make sure they all sound the same. I haven't done this on my G so don't know how accessible they are with the intake tube in place. With a mechanics stethoscope (or a long screwdriver with the handle in your ear) firmly touching the injectors, you can hear the ticking sound they make when they actuate. If any one of them sounds significantly different like you don't hear ticking for instance, you could have a problem with the injector or the harness to it and this can cause a misfire just like a bad coil or plug. I had one act up on me in a different vehicle and was able to "fix" it by tapping the injector and it started ticking again and the misfire that made the car completely undriveable disappeared immediately.

It may not be your problem but doesn't hurt to try and you'll learn another easy thing to check when troubleshooting misfires. Search youtube if you don't understand what I'm saying about using a screwdriver to do this.
Thanks for the reply, i will definitely check this out and let you know if jts the fix!

Old 03-07-2018, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Did you.... check the ecu code it was throwing?
yes it was for a cylinder 6 misfire (P0306)

Old 03-07-2018, 05:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Well then there's the problem, pull the plug again and visually inspect it, swap coil packs with another cylinder and see if the misfire moves to that cylinder, stethoscope the injector, if it's still misfiring compression test that cylinder.

The following 2 users liked this post by cleric670:
Montzster (05-16-2020), Zach Gaston (06-27-2019)