Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Advice

I have a 2009 G37x. I put a used engine, wire harness, ecu, because my old one gave out on me. After installing these parts and having the dealership reprogram my ecu to the right VIN. I started to get random check engine codes. (P0300, P0011, P0021, P0524, P2A00). I clear the codes to ensure it was just a bad relearn. But, I still keep coming up with these codes after the dealer flash my ecu. I had replace the O2 sensor, both cam sensor and actuator, the oil pressure sensor. After driving the car for at least 30 min @ 70 MPH on the highway, nothing happen to the car. After letting the G37x sit for about two hour I took it for a drive and this is what happen (It seems to occur within 50 miles of refueling and at highway speeds. Also the engine is at operating temperature. When it occurs, the engine will not run over approx 2500 rpm and if it does reach 2500 it shakes violently until back down below 2500. If you pull over and shutdown, it will restart and run fine. No error code that I can read with my cheap device. Also no CEL. The violent shaking is really violent and it feels like theres a big chain attached to the axle stopping the car from moving forward.). I don’t know what else could cause this problem. Could it be a bent fuel line or pump?; Could it also be that my catalytic converter is partially clogged and is restricted the flow of exhaust. This guy posted a video of the same problem. But now one has a answer to it. I have no more check engine codes because my car pass the NYS emissions test yesterday. 🤯😡. Someone please help. I don’t know what else to do

Old 03-24-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
First impression it sounds like a fuel pump issue or line clogged, like it gets some fuel but not near enough for it to operate properly. I would see about checking fuel pressure first, also check for any clogs or something blocking the return line. Whoops and fuel pressure regulation.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:45 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
VQ35HR motors have a notorious problem with the P0011, P0021 because the gasket on the cam actuators is crappy paper and blows out causing the actuators to not work properly.

P0524 is also a common code for that gasket failure but is also generic for simply being LOW ON OIL (oil pressure DTC).

P0300 is random misfire which is probably causing the P2A00 code (bank 1 AF sensor out of range)

What sounds to me is you have insufficient oil pressure to the actuators causing them to not properly advance cam timing which in turn causes the random misfires which in turn is setting off the AF sensors because you have raw fuel spitting out on them.

Check your oil to make sure you're not simply low, if you have sufficient oil volume get an OBD2 scanner that shows realtime data and check for oil pressure, if you have a sharp drop in pressure then you probably have a failing pump or maybe debris fouled and plugged it? If you have proper oil pressure then start investigating those actuator gaskets that are known for failure. Just google VQ35HR P0011, P0021 and you should find PLENTY of links with photos for disassembly and what to look for on those gasket blowouts. It's also possible the little metal screen filter in the head just before the actuator is fouled or clogged with debris so if you do have to start tearing stuff apart pay close attention to them, you can use a good flashlight to see past the screen for any debris, you will probably see a little bit of crap and metal flakes on it which is "normal" on all of them I've looked at, pull out the screen and clean as needed then just gently push it back in place.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:48 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Also wouldn't hurt to drain the oil into a clean pan and look for any debris, change out the filter with a new one since you might have an internal failure of the oil filter causing a pressure drop?