Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Justin,

Any updates on this product?
Or, would using the recently released Motordyne kit make this product irrelevant?

Thanks

Originally Posted by EverythingG35
I've been talking with someone over at Outlaw Engineering and I'm trying to get a plenum spacer kit developed for our intake manifolds. They'd be better than a metal spacer because they're made from a phenolic resin, which would not allow heat to transfer through the manifold, from the engine itself. The cooler manifold would help keep the manifold from getting heat soaked as well as increase the plenum volume slightly, which on these cars, seems to help out quite a bit.

The set would consist of 3 spacers:
-one between the lower intake manifold (the part that bolts to the head) and the lower plenum collector
-one between the upper and lower halves of the plenum
-one between the upper plenum and the throttle body.
-It would also include all of the necessary updated hardware to install the spacers.

Due to the size of the upper to lower plenum spacer, the kit would be a little more expensive than their other kits, but still pretty affordable considering the size (approx 16"x18" of material for just the one spacer). Initially talking with them, they said approx $150-200 for the full kit.

Their standard spacer thickness is 1/4", but to keep the plastic engine cover, they may be able to make a slightly thinner spacer between the lower plenum and the intake manifold. Or, if you wanted an even thicker spacer between the lower and upper half of the plenum, and don't mind ditching the plastic cover, you could double up the 1/4" spacers.

For more info check out their site: http://www.outlawengineering.com/index.html

What do you think? Yes, No, Maybe?

I'd be happy to start an initial group buy on these, if there's enough interest.
Just post it up in the thread and I'll pass on the info.

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyleluong
Hi Justin,

Any updates on this product?
Or, would using the recently released Motordyne kit make this product irrelevant?
Unfortunately, I do not have an update. When I spoke to them on the phone, it sounded like they were planning to make one, but they're still not even showing it as a possible application on their site. It may be due to the size of the plenum gasket, it takes a LOT of material to make just one gasket set. Either that or they haven't seen a lot of interest, I'm honestly not sure.

The recently released Motordyne kit should do pretty much the same thing.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not have an update. When I spoke to them on the phone, it sounded like they were planning to make one, but they're still not even showing it as a possible application on their site. It may be due to the size of the plenum gasket, it takes a LOT of material to make just one gasket set. Either that or they haven't seen a lot of interest, I'm honestly not sure.

I would have to agree.
Also the Motordyne isolates at the intake manifold which keeps both halves of the plenum cooler

Old 09-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Interested in carrying the Motordyne product line?

Old 09-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have to say Tony from Motordyne Engineering is basically
aimming at the same goal as what is intended in this thread with
his new MIT thermal upgrade kit: Lower temperature in both
the upper and lower plenum !

godmans

Old 09-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Interested in carrying the Motordyne product line?
Tony,

Looks like you now have a solution for the throttle body gasket as well with the copper iso therm - this is great!

...waiting patiently for the GB.

A happy Motordyne fan!!!

Last edited by LMG_35C; 09-17-2005 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Just saw Tony's latest post