Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Crawford Cast + Unichip Dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in Ohio are you? I am in Ann Arbor Michigan. Pothole capital of the U.S.

Originally Posted by KPierson

Oh, I forgot to add, I added a few other parts also in between dynos. But, I feel that most of the added horsepower can be attributed to the window module.

There are more then a few of us on here who are disgusted with V6Ps promotion of products (for profit) with NO understanding of the actual product.

The Unichip is flawed from many points. Over priced and not user tunable to name a few. I am disgusted that I will soon be a Unichip user. I feel that I will NOT get the most out of my TT investment because there are NO Unichip tuners near where I live. They are nuts if they think I"m going to drive 5.5 hours to Chicago to have a 'professional' tune.

If I'm going to have an engine management system that I can't tune I would rather go with TS, at least they have direct G35 experiance....

Old 03-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C'mon over to the big windy---I'll pull out the couch fer ya!

Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in Dayton, right off of 75. I went to college in Bwling Green... not too far from Michigan.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Neff, I think it would be much appreciated by all on this forum if you change your style of writing on these boards. You are sounding like a broken record, repeatedly lecturing and scolding anyone who speaks negatively of Crawford or mention other mods. I'm sure you could find a different tone to write in, making suggestions and observations instead of preaching and making very aggressive-sounding proclamations.

Gumbee, was the dyno warmed up for either run? It seems like a cold dyno gives lower #'s.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Gumbee:

Please call Joshua of Unichip at 1.866.643.7400. I have been on the telephone with him for most of the morning.

I would rather not get into the specifics just yet, but Unichip is very cooperative and they are doing everything they can to narrow down my specific issue relating to performance.

Frankly, no one knows whats going on. Therefore, I am having custom maps built specifically for my car. This is the ONLY way we are going to determine what the hell is going on. I would like to keep in contact with you. If you have the time, please shoot me your email address and I will keep you updated.

Originally Posted by gumbee
Now ya tell me.

I don't want to advance the timing. As I understand it right now, doing so was tripping the anti-knock on my car pretty easily. In fact, they backed off the timing slightly in some spots.

As I think about the Unichip, I am really beginning to stew. Their site claims "realistically" a 5-9% increase in peak power. My baseline run was 219HP, so the Unichip should yield at least 10.95 hp increase. If that were true, the Crawford Plenum would have only yielded about 2 hp increase. This seems extremely unlikely to me (given that increases are not necessarily so linear).

So now, I have 90 days to find another ECU solution that yields more power than the Unichip. If I can find something better, I can get my $1k back. I prefer something that can be programmed locally (Emanage seems like a good possibility). Anyone have dyno's to show increases gained by the ECU uprade, alone?

Last edited by realdieu; 03-21-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
Neff, I think it would be much appreciated by all on this forum if you change your style of writing on these boards. You are sounding like a broken record, repeatedly lecturing and scolding anyone who speaks negatively of Crawford or mention other mods. I'm sure you could find a different tone to write in, making suggestions and observations instead of preaching and making very aggressive-sounding proclamations.

Gumbee, was the dyno warmed up for either run? It seems like a cold dyno gives lower #'s.
self edit...

Now I'm officially over the top. I think I'll ban myself. Later!

Last edited by neffster; 03-21-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Lay it out man! I'll bring the Cuban cigars and the single malt...

Originally Posted by ChicagoX

Old 03-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned
In todays world MANY companies are trying to sell 'go fast' products to consumers with out any supporting data to show consistant gains. Before ANY manufacture advertises a product as a 'performance' product they should be able to back up such claims. The Unichip was just the beginning, and, in Unichips defense, wasn't even the Unichips fault. A non-sponsoring vendor (not even a VQ35 owner) came to this site and pitched the sale of a $800 piggy back and they had NO idea how it worked, had NO proof that it worked, and had NO proof of any provided gains. In fact, if I remember right they were trying to sell it before it had even been tested. Is it too much for consumers to expect manufactuers to TEST things BEFORE they start selling them?

The VQ35 market is growing at such a rapid pace that manufacturers are fighting to get to the market first. In this race it is very possible that beta testing is skipped over or rushed. Then, its the consumers who get ripped off. As a group we have to look out for each others best interests.

Its rather ironic, actually. I know what Todd (Neffster) has on his car. I know what Todd wants to do with his car. I know what parts Todd wants to buy for his car. Todd is only looking out for other people by making his claims and asking for more information. As consumers we should ban together and hold ALL companies responsible for PROVING gains to us, and then for standing behind these gains.

The Unichip promises gains of up to 10HP. Can they do it? No, not safely on this motor. End of story.

The spacer promises gains equivalent to the Crawford Plenum, but, can they back up any flow data? Have they flow tested it? These aren't $5 parts. If someone is going to charge a premium price for a 'performance part' they need to have premium data proving this part works. Thats my two cents...

Old 03-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by realdieu
Unichip is very cooperative and they are doing everything they can to narrow down my specific issue relating to performance.
Keep us updated on this situation. You might also want to mention to the people at Unichip how terrible of a rap V6Performance gave them on the G35 boards. I'm sure they would love to know what other people are doing to their reputation.

Its always relieving to see a manufacturer stand behind their product....

Old 03-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ChicagoX

Thanks for the invite, I might just have to take you up on that....

Old 03-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Florida G35 Club
The VQ35 market is growing at such a rapid pace that manufacturers are fighting to get to the market first. In this race it is very possible that beta testing is skipped over or rushed. Then, its the consumers who get ripped off. As a group we have to look out for each others best interests.

Hi Bro I was just thinking Has anybody mapped a timming curve and or timming on a stock VQ. On A Dyno. Im just wondering what total timming would be at 6000 rpms on a load?

Old 03-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Super G-nius
Originally Posted by realdieu
Gumbee:

Please call Joshua of Unichip at 1.866.643.7400. I have been on the telephone with him for most of the morning.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give them a call tomorrow from work. I hope they have something up their sleeve, as mine is already "custom" tuned.

Last edited by gumbee; 03-22-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Super G-nius
Josh will be calling ModaCar to see what's up. Looks like I am going back to the Dyno to see if we can work things out.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:09 PM
That is good news Gumbee!

Quick update:

Yesterday, I indicated to Unichip that my CEL was on prior to installing the Unichip. After the Unichip installation, the CEL turned off. Unichip feels/felt that this is not possible and that the Unichip would have no effect on the CEL. Further, Unichip feels that it takes around 180 miles to trigger the CEL. However, they are dead wrong! When I installed my test pipes, it took about two blocks to trip the CEL.

In addition, Unichip felt that there was a possible problem with my car that was preventing the Unichip from functioning. Per the recommendation of Unichip, I took my car to get a diagnostic. I paid Precision Tune $100 for a twenty-minute "scan" of my car. They connected a notebook size computer inside my car and we took a one-mile run down the road. Everything came out clean. The O2 sensors were functioning and the ECU was maintaining air/fuel ratios properly. As well, there were no pending error codes. The car received a clean bill of health!

My opinion is that Unichip is shooting themselves in the foot by creating a somewhat generic map for cars with similar configurations. However, even Unichip concedes that not all G35’s are created equal. The solution is that Unichip must collaborate with its distributors and empower those distributors to provide the custom maps, tuning, and analysis.

At this point, Unichip is under the gun. If the custom maps do not work this weekend, it will be strike three for Unichip. I will get a refund and dump my money into a set of cams.

Originally Posted by gumbee
Josh will be calling ModaCar to see what's up. Looks like I am going back to the Dyno to see if we can work things out.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Banned
You know we've been saying all along if the unachip was end user programmable it would be worth $800

Sounds like if they would listen to us they might have something, espically with us FI guys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crawford Cast + Unichip Dyno