Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Need advice for some G35 Coupe mods...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for some G35 Coupe mods...

Sorry, for a double post... I'm new here and didnt see that there was a forum specifically for mods... so I cut/paste my thread from the general G35Coupe forum...

--------------------------

Hi All,

I'm a brand-spankin' new G35 Coupe owner today!

Ivory Pearl White, 6 speed manual transmission, tan interior...

Wow! This car handles just as well, if not better than my 2002 Corvette C5!!!

As soon as I got home tonight, I ordered $110 bucks worth of Zaino Products... works great on the Vette, should work equally well on the Infiniti.

Anyway, I need some help with mods... this car is absolutely gorgeous as is stock... with the tan interior, I'm going to tint the rear windows and side widows with the brown/amber tint like on some sunglasses...

That's easy stuff... I know absolutely nothing about Japanese cars... but even with 298hp, surely there's got to be some relatively inexpensive mods for cold air, exhaust, tuning the computer?

Can anyone please give me some advice on where to start... On my Corvette, I switched out the OEM gears for 3.42 gears and had a torque converter installed... also cut a hole in the shroud behind the airfilter and installed a Vortex cold air box that uses a K&N air filter...

For the G35, I'm not wanting to do anything mechanical to mod it out... I would however like to improve airflow and possibly even use somesort of programmer to tweak the computer settings...

Are such mods feasible for the G35?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Okay, I've been searching and reading some of the past threads... here's my plan:

1) Z-Tube $74.99, from what I gather, maybe not too much in adding actual HP, but will definitely give it more "growl"?

2) 3/8" Plenum Spacer $215... definite HP gain that you can feel?

3) Cold Air... not sure which way to go? Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox for $184.99 or the NISMO cold Air Intake for $275? Any suggestions on this one?

And lastly...

4) What's the deal with the grounding wire kit? What's that all about?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-24-2005, 01:28 AM
gtr proto test driver
you can put an intake and a Ztube?

Old 04-24-2005, 02:37 AM
ztube w/ the stillen is my choice since it does the best of isolating hot engine air many/most leave the intake sucking hot air - in fact hotter than stock

The Spacer is a great mod, good choice

The grounding kit (and if you do this send a Private message to GordGee - his kit is head and shoulders above the rest)....
The effects are far more noticable on an automatic, but still benifit a MT.
Do a search and you'll find endless info

Old 04-26-2005, 01:30 AM
I've been following the mod disscussion on several boards and this is my take. The most restrictive area on the exhaust is the cats and Y-pipe. So that would be a great place to start. I have also heard good things about either a plenum spacer or the Crawford plenum. You could also add the Stillen airbox that uses the K&N filter. The Stillen airbox is actually built to funnel cold air while other inductions just have a big cone filter sucking hot engine air from under the hood. That's currently my list

Hi Flow Cats (Crawford)
Y-Pipe
Plenum or plenum spacer
Stillen air box and/or K&N filter

Old 04-27-2005, 12:42 PM
i think the best 'small' NA mods for the G35/Z are, Plenum (not spacer) and High Flow Cats. The car DEFINATELY pulls much harder at 4krpms all the way to redline! I don't think anyone will disagree. As far as plenum spacers, some people feel it slightly, some don't feel anything.

The best NA mod, bang for buck is probably the Evo 3.9 final drive, but that's pretty expensive w/ install, the shorter gears can get to be a hassle, and you can't go 160mph anymore

Old 04-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Motordyne plenum spacer has a group buy right now on www.my350z.com forums. The 3/8" spacer is $160. If you want it, hurry up, there are probably only 10-15 left. I'll be getting mine tonight!!

Old 04-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by kramrd
Okay, I've been searching and reading some of the past threads... here's my plan:

1) Z-Tube $74.99, from what I gather, maybe not too much in adding actual HP, but will definitely give it more "growl"?
I dyno'd before and after my Z-tube install. It gives you 6 hp. Great mod for the money.
2) 3/8" Plenum Spacer $215... definite HP gain that you can feel?
I would recommend getting the Crawford Plenum. Much better in my opinion. Crawford site
3) Cold Air... not sure which way to go? Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox for $184.99 or the NISMO cold Air Intake for $275? Any suggestions on this one?
Stock airbox.
And lastly...

4) What's the deal with the grounding wire kit? What's that all about?Thanks,
Mark
I have a 5AT and notice a difference in the shifts. The gauges read more accurate. Contact Gordee.
I have a Z-tube, K&N dropin air filter, Grounding Gear, Crawford Plenum, Crawford Cats and Crawford Headers. All are great mods. Most of the noticable power difference is in higher speeds.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
when putting the highflow cats do you use the stock exahust?? and if so does it change the sound at all?

Old 05-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by g35_volk
when putting the highflow cats do you use the stock exahust?? and if so does it change the sound at all?
You can keep your stock exhaust. The sound isn't much louder, just deeper.