Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Weight reduction tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight reduction tips

A car's performance is all about power to weight ratio. I haven't seen a thread on ways to reduce weight of our cars to improve performance. In my case I've remove the spare tire as one way to reduce the weight. Removing the back seats might also help. May be also a line should be drawn at the point where the car's height would be affected.

Any other ideas?

Old 05-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
I'm going to ask you a very dumb question.

What do you plan on doing if you get a flat tire? Are you resigned to calling a wrecker to pick you up?

Just wondering......

Old 05-21-2005, 12:22 PM
What is the frequency of getting a flat tire? Not much, I believe. You can always remove the wheel and take it to a repair shop. Another option is the pressurised cans they sell for temporary tire repair. I know a compromise is being made here, it is up to you to weigh the benefits.

Old 05-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Oops. There are already threads about car weight reduction. See below.

Old 05-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Eh... I'll post here anyways since we're on the spare tire topic.

I've driven my Honda for 7 years with no spare tire. Only once have I had an issue with a flat. I just made a few calls. Have my spare with my brother, and I have plenty of other friends who have spares, and extra set of wheels. Its no big deal. I would only take the spare if I'm going on a long trip.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Infiniti gives you road side assistance for a number of years anyways :P

The only problem is that you're removing all the weight from the rear, and I believe the weight distribution is already heavy towards the front 52/48.

I remember there was an article by some car magazine where they totally stripped a car (I think it was a Sentra) and got some amazing 0-60 and 1/4 times, but it was pretty much an engine and 4 wheels :P

Old 05-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
true that, infiniti does provide you road side service, only in certain states though.
remove speakers, less fuel in tank, less window washer fluid, door panels, carpet (you'll be suprised how much the carpet weighs), carbon fiber, lugnuts, rear and passanger seats, remove the a/c and powersteering... if you're crazy about shaving off ounces... you could take off unneccessary screws and bolts lol...

Old 05-21-2005, 06:25 PM
As for removing weight from the rear, well, since I have an AT maybe that will help, removing weight from the rear should allow some needed wheel spin under certain conditions, which will give a better launch. A lighter rear will have less traction i.e more fun.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:46 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarek
As for removing weight from the rear, well, since I have an AT maybe that will help, removing weight from the rear should allow some needed wheel spin under certain conditions, which will give a better launch. A lighter rear will have less traction i.e more fun.
needed wheel spin for launch

care to explain this one?

Old 05-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Generally speaking, a little wheel spin will help in performing a good launch, not excessive wheel spin of course. A little wheel spin will allow the RPM to quickly jump to where the power is and improve the launch.

Check out this link (interesting):
http://www.modernracer.com/tips/drag...echniques.html

Old 05-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
why not just take out all the seats but the drivers, the carpet, stereo,amp, speakers, belts,power window window and roof motors and airbags too. You might reduce your 1/4 mile by .1 and add another .5 mph to your car.LOL

Old 05-21-2005, 08:21 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Spare tire, tools, anything else in the trunk, 1/4 tank of fuel, lightweight wheels, -- something not many consider is body weight. That spare tire around the waste is extra cargo too.
C.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Man, that's more incentive for me to lose 25 lbs! I could take .25 second off my 0-60 time!

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 05-21-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:14 PM
I've checked the other similar threads below and found that this subject has been already well covered, from Atkins diets to throwing out unnecessary screws found in the G35. End of thread for me.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarek
What is the frequency of getting a flat tire? Not much, I believe. You can always remove the wheel and take it to a repair shop. Another option is the pressurised cans they sell for temporary tire repair. I know a compromise is being made here, it is up to you to weigh the benefits.
You are not going to use something like Fix-A-Flat on your flat tire. If you have TPMs (and I'm going to bet you do) you are going to mess them up and they go for about $290 per sensor.

Look into going with a forged wheel as another way to reduce your weight off a stock wheel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight reduction tips