Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Use the VDC button to arm nitrous?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think that is a good idea. Unless you want to arm nitrous every single time you want to turn off VDC...

What if you just want to have a little fun on an onramp or something? You still want to arm the nitrous?

Old 05-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't seem to be a very friendly location to do that. Reaching down there a trying to find the button seems less than ideal for that purpose.

What if you pop the trunk?

Old 05-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
You may run in to major issues trying to use the VDC button as a relay trigger.

The switch logic itself is 5vdc, so you would need a special relay off of the bat. It switches to ground when you push it. So, you would have to hook your relay coils ground terminal to the switch side of the VDC button. However, whenever the vehicle is in the ACC position the BCM input line is held LOW!!! I'm not sure if there would be enough ground current to activate your relay (and your type of relay would make a HUGE difference). However, if its NOT enough current you could cause damage to your BCM by trying to source (-) current from it.

You would be best off coming up with some other solution for your button.

An alternative would be rewiring the VDC system all together. With a combination of bits and pieces I'm sure you could multiplex the button to perform more then one task, depending on how many times you push the button, or how long you hold it down....

Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
you should be able to do it. Having a hidden arming for N2O is the way to go.

In my old explorer V8 AWD, I had a hidden arming switch, and I used the rear defroster buttom to turn on the bottle heater. Also, when the nitrous was armed, the rear windshield wiper/spray button disabled. It would switch (through relays) to be the purge button. When the nitrous was disarmed, all the buttons went back to normal use. It was very trick!!!

Especially, when you consider the images on those buttons. The defroster button had an image of a heater. Also, the spray/wiper button image looked like a purge of nitrous being sprayed. Those buttons worked well for my system.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, if you use a 'hidden' arm switch you would be able to easily incorporate relays to use almost any button you want to use for anything you want to use it for.

But, to use the VDC button as the 'hidden' button I would strongly recomend against that. The BCM does some funny things on the input line, like I stated above, and we have had several issues tying in to it. But, with our products, we can use software filtering to get around the funny things the BCM does...