Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

More low end power...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More low end power...

First I just want to say that this website is a fountain of extremly usefull info. Hats off to you all...

Just got an 04 G35c 5AT w/Aero Kit/PP/NAV/SAT. Yah, yah, I know...why the manmatic. I would have liked the 6MT but as my everyday driver and w/90% of my driving is in heavy traffic, just needed that luxury.

Anyway, I've been reading alot of posts and I'm joansing for my first mod. Since I have the 5AT, I'm looking for mods that will improve power to the low end RPM's. This is what I'm thinking for the first round:

Injen or Stillen CAI
Z-Tube
10 Wire GroundingGear Kit
(possibly ECU flash)

I guess the next logical step would be headers and exhaust but one step at a time. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions on these combinations...

Last edited by Diamondman; 06-14-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I’m no expert but… it's a good start... you should consider exhaust. I highly advise waiting on the ECU reflash/re-map until you get most, if not all of your mods done. Otherwise you'll have to do it again when you add more.

There are some very knowledgeable people out here – and some that don’t know **** (but think they do… just keep researching, you’re at the right place.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Get a cold air intake and get the lightest and best sounding exhaust system you can find! Also, the grounding kit sounds like it really works. Don't expect a big boost in power, but it's a great mod for the overall functionality of your car.

Beware of plenum upgrades and spacers as they are great for horsepower, but may cost you torque in the process.

Remeber, addition by subtraction. The lighter your car is, the faster it will go.

*I'm not completely discouraging you from plenum upgrades and spacers. I am still pondering the thought of getting one. Since you specifically mentioned low end torque, I'm trying to help you get there.

I'm also assuming that you are not wanting to do forced induction (turbos or supercharger).

Old 06-14-2005, 10:28 PM
My main goal is to add torque. Don't want to sacrifice that beautiful torque for horsepower.

No FI yet. I've talked to my dealer and he's pretty cool. Says I should steer clear of FI to keep my warranty. Anything else, within reason, is green lit.

What do you guys think about switching gears or pumpkin swaps?

I really hate how 1st gear laggs compared to higher gears. Should I learn to live with this because of the 5AT? It boggs until about 3K then picks up the way it should.

If I put in a 350Z VLSD will this help 1st gear lagg? Is their anything else that I can do to help with this issue? I've read that grounding can help with this issue...

Last edited by Diamondman; 06-14-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:33 PM
how about nismo LSD?
friend of mine is considering that but anyone wanna add to this?

Old 06-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Old 06-14-2005, 10:43 PM
i mean...is it worth getting it?
i wanna know the dif. after mounting it on the car.
anyone've done it?

Old 06-15-2005, 12:11 AM
I can tell you that adding a CAI will lose low-end torque (I had one, I know). Keep the intake ducting alone as the cam profile and overlap is "tuned" to that length. Adding a K/N or Z-Tube will improve CFM flow without affecting tuned harmonics. Also, the 1/2" spacer from Motordyne is no joke. At first I though it was, but for $250 I thought what the hell. It improves torque by increasing intake runner velocity, I will testify to that. Next is the resonated test pipes. They phuckin kick **** with the stillen exhaust. Major increase in power, but I had to cut out the stillen 14" resonators and install 24" glasspacks to tone it down. Phuckin' loud! Now it just knocks my head back without the earache. Heeeheeee! My girlfriend scared the **** out of me as a designated driver last weekend. And I dont get scared easily. Filipinas are crazy man.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:04 AM
That's what I was afraid of. Thank you very much. Glad that I found this forum.

How is your acceleration off the line? The problem that I'm trying to fix is the lag in 1st. Doesn't kick in until 2.5-3K. I read in another thread that this is an issue with the 5AT G's and not in the 5AT 350's.

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain/54764-what-has-nissan-done-g35-auto-make-launch-softer-than-350z-auto.html

Does anyone know if the ECU flash fixes this 5AT problem or if the issue has another fix? I've been advised not to get the flash until all my mods are done but if it will fix this problem than it could save me lots o' cash. I feel like I could be chasing a ghost...

Old 06-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A torque converter swap and/or gear change will give you the biggest seat-of-the pants increase short of forced induction.

It is a tried and true combo that has worked on thousands of cars---it is a mystery to me why more folks in these discussion groups don't pursue that path.

happy modding!

Old 06-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Diamondman
My main goal is to add torque. Don't want to sacrifice that beautiful torque for horsepower.

No FI yet. I've talked to my dealer and he's pretty cool. Says I should steer clear of FI to keep my warranty. Anything else, within reason, is green lit.

What do you guys think about switching gears or pumpkin swaps?

I really hate how 1st gear laggs compared to higher gears. Should I learn to live with this because of the 5AT? It boggs until about 3K then picks up the way it should.

If I put in a 350Z VLSD will this help 1st gear lagg? Is their anything else that I can do to help with this issue? I've read that grounding can help with this issue...
An AT valve body upgrade and TS ECU will probably help... I have the same complaint, I'm doing the ECU but not 100% on valve body - DaveO has one and said it's well worth it - I'll pobably do it eventually.

Check out the links for more info:
http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_pr...cat=194&dsbp=1

http://www.technosquareinc.com/g35sedan.htm

Old 06-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
A torque converter swap and/or gear change will give you the biggest seat-of-the pants increase short of forced induction.

It is a tried and true combo that has worked on thousands of cars---it is a mystery to me why more folks in these discussion groups don't pursue that path.

happy modding!
I agree, lots of info on adding HP, but not much about TQ... how much is an after-market torque converter (w/insallation)? and which one would you suggest?

Old 06-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoX

happy modding!
I agree that the TC is probably one the best mods to do, but it takes some knowledge of how they work and the stall speed you're willing to live with. If you buy a crappy TC with an overly high stall, the car will be a huge dog around town. A quality TC costs around $800-1,100 and will be very efficent and won't feel as laggy around town, but will still offer that that strong launch we all want. I've never gotten an honest answer concerning the stock stall speed of the TC in our Gs. To me, it looks like the stall is about 2,500rpms or so. A 3,000rpm stall would probably help things a bit while keeping the car liveable on the streets and would keep tranny temps within reason. The Lexus GS400/430 group has a great TC built by PI for about $900. The TC alone drops the GS400/430 ETs by about .3-.4 with hardly any impact on normal driving. As far as I know, there isn't a company out there that specifically makes a TC for our cars. If PI made one, I'd probably consider it because they make quality stuff for Lexus and GM products (Vetter/F-body). I have read about some G owners getting higher stall TCs and some of them went too high with the stall and they were getting stumbling and CELs.

A lot of people probably pass on this mod because of expense. With install, you're looking at ~$1,500 and it's a mod that's not easily removeable.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Does anybody know where I can get the Technosquare ECU flash in the Connecticut area?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More low end power...