Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Infiniti warrantee service at a Nissan Dealership?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti warrantee service at a Nissan Dealership?

I don't live close to an Infiniti dealership, since there are only two in my state. When I went in to buy my G35c I specifically asked what would happen if my car needed warranted service. Two different salesmen told me that since I lived over 100 miles from the Infiniti dealer, that I could get it fixed at the local Nissan dealership, under warrantee.

Well, as luck would have it, the day I got it home, I had a problem. I called the Infiniti service department where I bought the car and the helpful technician told me that the sales guys were wrong and that I'd have to have it towed back to get it repaired. I called the Infiniti customer service 800 number and they told me that warrantee work could only be done at an Infiniti dealer.

I had specifically asked this question of the salesmen, and their statement that the Nissan dealer could repair it lead me to buy the car. Now I've found out that they lied (go figure a car salesman that is less than truthful). So now I have to have my car towed across the state to have it repaired, which doesn't seem like a very considerate warrantee. To say the least, I'm not too excited with Infiniti at this moment.

I don't know why Nissan and Infiniti don't have some sort of agreement in place to take car of customers like me. It was a big enough inconvenience to have to drive over to get the car, but to have it towed each time it needs to be fixed is ludicrous.

Wouldn't it make sense to try and expand the customer base, they would have something in place so this sort of problem wouldn't happen?

Come on Nissan, you've got a great product, now why not treat the Infiniti customers with respect and take care of the car?

Old 07-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Re: Infiniti warrantee service at a Nissan Dealership?

Are you saying the Nissan dealers should start stocking the parts unique to an Infiniti? Then they should just get rid of all the Infiniti dealerships!!!!! Personally, I would not have purchased the car - But, hopefully you won't have to make too many of those trips. Good luck!!!!!

Old 07-08-2003, 01:55 PM

I was hesitant about buying the car without a dealer nearby, which is why I asked the salespersons about the warrantee policy. If they would have told me the truth, I might not have bought the car. It didn't seem odd to me that they would have an agreement in place with Nissan, since Nissan owns Infiniti.

Besides, I don't think most dealerships carry a lot of inventory, and there are a lot of parts that are similar between the Z and the G. I expected they might have to order the G parts at the Nissan dealership, but that's much less inconvenient than having the car towed 200 miles for repairs.

I hope this is just a simple problem and everything goes smoothly afterwards. Then the warrantee issue won't be important. If I have to send it in alot, I might have to contact Infiniti directly and get it taken care of.

Still love the car, just getting off to a rocky start.

Gizmo

Old 07-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

here in town, we have 1 dealer, but there is also an "Infiniti Authorized repair center not too far from my house. Not sure if they are autorized to do warranty work or not, but with you living so far from your dealer, it may be something you may want to check out. See if there is an authorized location by your house, and then see if they do warranty work. Shot inthe dark.

Old 07-09-2003, 09:59 PM
G SQUAD

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Come on Nissan, you've got a great product, now why not treat the Infiniti customers with respect and take care of the car?

<hr></blockquote>

Because Infiniti and Nissan, although related, are trying to operate as separately as possible to keep up the luxury appearance. Kinda sucks about the dealer's location, what kind of repair did your car need? Ever think of a lawsuit against the dealership to make them pay your local Nissan dealership for their warranty repair costs that way you can get it fixed locally?

Another thing - is Infiniti paying to flatbed your truck across state? And when they pick it up, are they dropping off a loaner? Sounds like a shitty situation, but that's why he's a car salesman! That's also why there's this thing called the statute of frauds which prevents oral guarantees like the salesman made from being enforcable. Doesn't mean you cannot sue for fraud in the inception (of the contract) and seek to return the car.

03.5 6spd DG/G aero pk/kit
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope this gets worked out... hopefully the dealership will work with you for the best possible solution.

If not...

As much as I hate that the US is such a litigious country... I suppose it was created for a reason. The mere threat of it will usually jump them into action. I personally prefer the "make their lives a living hell" method when I see it.
It is perfectly legal to write a letter to a newspaper, tell anyone who will listen, call a local newscast (they LOVE these little "help the consumer" stories), etc. This will evoke action very quickly. While litigation may hurt them in the wallet, it is silent. Public humiliation hurts a reputation, which is much harder to earn back.
Just remember, in order for a statement to qualify as slander or libel, it must first be proven untrue. Don't cross the line.
G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint
Indianapolis, IN

Old 07-14-2003, 10:22 PM

Good news, my car is fixed.

The local Nissan dealer put it on their machine and found a problem with the crank position sensor. Apparently it was missing a bolt and wasn't working correctly. Without the sensor, the car defaults to a "limp-home" mode where it will still run, but have the problems I was having. The Nissan dealer stuck in a new bolt and the car runs fine.

The Infiniti dealership paid for the work at the Nissan dealership so it all worked out in the end. If it had been more complicated I expect that they still would have trucked the car back, which would have sucked!

I'm still unhappy with the lies the salesmen told me. I know they're salesmen, but their behavior in this case is bordering on fraud. I've got my customer survey, so I'm planning on adding an extra letter documenting the problem.

I hope I don't have any other warrantee work to deal with and that my G provides me with many years of happy driving. Now if I could just put on 1200 miles, I could start exploring it's full potential.