Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Is Ur Crank Pulley Worth It

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6969g35
true I heard also no gains and maybe 2-3 hp
not worth it, to take risk on new warranty.
warranty...;;;
then why you even bother asking us? lol
if i was going to mod my car, i wouldn't get warranty.
if i wasn't going to mod my car, i wouldnt get warranty anyways. haha

whats my point?

well anyways
all of these performance mods are not worth any if you consider your warranty.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:55 AM
Negative Ghost Rider.....
I bought the KJR Performance OEM sized lightweight crank pulley and had my dealer install it. Noticable difference.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 6969g35
true I heard also no gains and maybe 2-3 hp
not worth it, to take risk on new warranty.
Yeah, there maybe a very minimal increase in power, but it would be hard to see on the dyno because VQs, like most engines, and show ~3-5whp/wtq gains/losses just on back to back run on the dyno and with no changes to the car.

As for warranty issues, it's all dependant on your dealership. Some are fine with it and others won't be. I've never heard of a VQ ever failing because of a UDP and the oil analysis results say there isn't any accelerated bearing wear. However, if I was an Infiniti tech and I saw an UDP, I'd probably tell the owner to take it off after showing them way the stock pulley is designed the way it is.

Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
I have been reading that the lighten flywheel clutch combo is killing 1/4 mile times.
You just have to figure out what kind of racing and driving you like to do. If it's drag racing and a city driver, I'd say the lightened flywheel is worthless because like you said, it lacks the moment of inertia therefore making it harder to launch the car effectively. If it's road racing and highway driving, you may benefit because launching hard isn't as important. The lightened flywheel also improves high rpm rev matching.

So many other people think that lightened flywheels automatically mean increased low rpm torque and harder launches. It's true this mod can improve torque and increase rev ability, however it reduces moment of inertia which can take away the car's ability to leap off the line. This hurts 0-30mph times, which in a short race, is the most crucial part.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I had an UR UDP on my Maxima...
Damn........ you just couldn't help yourself, could you?

Blah, blah, blah, my Maxima, blah, blah, blah.....

THE G35 IS NOT A MAXIMA!!!!!!!!!!SHEESH!

Old 10-19-2005, 02:12 PM
lol?

Old 10-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Originally Posted by ChicagoX

Yea, but are we not talking about the same engine though?

Old 10-19-2005, 03:15 PM
ALL engines are "internally" balanced. The issue is when those cylinders start firing, vibrations are created. The vibrations change in relation to rpm. On one end of the crank is a 30-40lb flywheel/clutch/pressure plate or torque converter and on the other end is a 7lb crank pulley driving accessories. This mismatch in weight balance across the crank plus the natural crank vibration is why Nissan and almost EVERY other auto manufactuer uses two piece elastomer crank pulleys. The elastomer ring quells the crank vibration. Adding an UDP COMPLETELY removes this elastomer ring. The fact that an UDP is completely balanced is a moot and worthless point.
Not correct, not ALL engines are internally balanced. The older small block fords had weights on the flywheel to help balance the engine. I suspect that is not the only engine family that is externally balanced.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
Yea, but are we not talking about the same engine though?

Not in his case.........

Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by sofl_g
Not correct, not ALL engines are internally balanced. The older small block fords had weights on the flywheel to help balance the engine. I suspect that is not the only engine family that is externally balanced.
I should have said, late model engines (late 1980s and on).

Blah, stupid argument on your part.

Not EXACTLY the same engine, but pretty dang close. Lots of parts are interchangable between the VQ30 and VQ35. If you don't believe me, go to Maxima.org and take notice of the guys interchanging heads/cams/blocks/headers among the VQ30 and VQ35. The VQ35 is bascially a VQ30 with ~3mm more bore and 9mm more stroke. The crank pulley for the FWD VQ35 looks exactly like the pulley for the FWD VQ30. The RWD VQ pulley looks a little different because of the accessory layout and the use of a mechanical fan on certain models. Regardless, the crank pulley is a two piece unit with a sandwiched elastomer ring (damper) and pits drilled out on the back of the pulley that serve as second order dampers.

BTW, almost all late model engines use this exact style crank pulley. Whether the engine is an LS1, LS6, B20, B16, VQ30T, VQ25, VQ40, VQ35, RB26TT, QR25, 2JZ, etc.

People hear that Billy Mullet gained 10whp with the UDPs on his 89 Mustang GT so they automatically figure an UDP for the VQ will net the same gains. Little do they understand that UDPs for a 5.0 Ford often include multiple pulleys for the alternator, powersteering pump, and most importantly, the water pump. Most of the gains come from underdriving the water pump. You can't make those types of gains on the VQ because water pump is driven off the timing chain.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Your Maxima: 3-liters, FWD, sideways motor.

G35: 3.5 l, RWD/AWD, fore-and-aft motor.

Besides that, exactly the same car.

Re: your argument about the water pump.......why do they make UDP's for LT1 motors....they have a cam-driven water pump?

Your Maxima= Apples
Your G = Oranges

*yawn*

Old 10-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Yes. It is worth it.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:38 PM
Re: your argument about the water pump.......why do they make UDP's for LT1 motors....they have a cam-driven water pump?
Umm yeah, I know, I owned a 94 Z28. Do you know that UDP for the LT1 requires that you piggyback the stock crank pulley on the UDP? This is done because the crank really needs the stock damper. Also, an UDP on an LT1 gains about 3whp I know this, I have friends with UDPs on their LT1/LS1s. They all admit it was a waste of money.

Ohh, I know, it's the VQ35 we're talking about, not the LT1, LS1, or VQ30. UDPs on those engines don't do squat, but for the VQ35, the Almighty has blessed the motor with amazing powers and that what applies to most every other motor, doesn't apply to the VQ35.

Last edited by DaveB; 10-19-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Since you are the expert, please share some dyno sheets to educate the rest of us.

"I have friends......" Ummm, yeah. I "know a guy" too.

Back up your BS or go bench-race somewhere else. I said bench-race, because you have tested exactly SQUAT on your G35.

I have a dyno sheet showing 8-11 RWHP for pullies on a 96 LT1....where is yours?

YOU are the wast of time, not the pullies.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Premier Member

Umm yeah, I know, I owned a 94 Z28. Do you know that UDP for the LT1 requires that you piggyback the stock crank pulley on the UDP? This is done because the crank really needs the stock damper. Also, an UDP on an LT1 gains about 3whp I know this, I have friends with UDPs on their LT1/LS1s. They all admit it was a waste of money.

Ohh, I know, it's the VQ35 we're talking about, not the LT1, LS1, or VQ30. UDPs on those engines don't do squat, but for the VQ35, the Almighty has blessed the motor with amazing powers and that what applies to most every other motor, doesn't apply to the VQ35.
Actually the UDP does a lot on a LS1.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
pullies were great on the 5.0 mustangs ,too.

also, my 93 Rx-7 had an undedrive pulley from petit racing. Worked well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is Ur Crank Pulley Worth It