Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

I over filled engine oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I over filled engine oil

Ok. I admit I did some thing stupid. I did my first engine oil change myself on my coupe. As advised by other people here, I poured 4 1/2 quarts of mobile 1 into my car. I let the car down the ramp and realize I put too much oil in it. My question is what's the damage here? And is there any easy way to remove the extra oil?

Also, the 2nd day I check my oil during sunny day time and the oil is already lightly brownish/dirty. Is that normal? I thought it was supposed to keep that light honey color for a while. Thank you.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you change your oil filter too?

Also I thought our cars took 6 quarts of oil? Not 4 or 4 1/2.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:31 PM
1st if there is too much oil in the pan... just unscrew the bolt SLOWLY. when you get close to the point that it will come off... the oil will start to come out. take out as much as you need.

2nd you didnt mention if you changed the filter , this would be a cause of a discolor. otherwise my guess is you had oil left in the pan since Hooman6mt stated it may be 6quarts.

DO NOT DRIVE WITH IT OVER THE FULL MARK.

ppp

Old 10-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was the car level when you put in the new oil? Hmmm . . . The car should take 5 qts. of oil if you replaced the existing oil filter. If the existing oil filter was used, you should have only put in about 4-5/8 qts., which is a bit more than your reported 4-1/2 qts.

Sounds like you might have had the old oil filter still in place, which still holds some old. If your car was not level, you will get a false reading on the dip stick.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:45 PM
Hmmmmrm... mebbe I'm doing something wrong but I put in five quarts and it's not overfilled according to the 'ol dipstick. I do warm the car up and drain it for a good half hour..

Old 10-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eldy
Hmmmmrm... mebbe I'm doing something wrong but I put in five quarts and it's not overfilled according to the 'ol dipstick. I do warm the car up and drain it for a good half hour..
I have an '05 6MT Coupe and it takes 5 qts. to fill the oil per the Owner's Manual. I am assuming it's the same for other's, regardless of whether it's an AT, MT, Sedan or Coupe.

Again, make sure your car is on a level surface when filling with oil and reading the dip stick. You had mentioned that your car was on a ramp. Did you fill the oil and take a reading while the car was in an inclined position?

Old 10-31-2005, 07:25 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ansetou
Ok. I admit I did some thing stupid. I did my first engine oil change myself on my coupe. As advised by other people here, I poured 4 1/2 quarts of mobile 1 into my car. I let the car down the ramp and realize I put too much oil in it. My question is what's the damage here? And is there any easy way to remove the extra oil?

Also, the 2nd day I check my oil during sunny day time and the oil is already lightly brownish/dirty. Is that normal? I thought it was supposed to keep that light honey color for a while. Thank you.
Provided you drained all the old oil out, 4 1/2 quarts won't overfill the crankcase even with a new filter.
If I were you, I'd go get some gas and while there, check the oil. (nice and level).
You may find that the level is still low. albeit slightly.

C.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've always done my oil changes with 4 1/2 quarts of oil with a filter change. The level shows just a bit below the top of the 'Full' cross-hatched area on the stick, which I think is ideal.

Many years ago, a tech told me that there's really nothing to worry about unless the level goes below the lowest level of the cross-hatch which indicate 1 quart low. It's worse if you over-fill, but usually only if the amount is greater than a quart.

So, I save myself a few bucks by using the 1/2 quart on the next oil change, and I get peace of mind.

BTW, I've never noticed my oil level drop at all between oil changes.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:02 PM
THanx for all the reply. I did replace the oil filter with a new one. And I took 3 measures including one I did this morning. All of them were on a level ground. The first one was taken right after I changed the oil and the car was cold. It showed oil level much higher than the max mark.

2nd one taken yesterday noon and I started the car to warm for like a minute. It also showed oil level much higher than max mark.

Last night, I poured the used oil from the pan into the empty bottles (for recycle) and I filled 4 qts. and still have about another qt left in the pan. So this shows me that I drained more than I filled. And I know b4 I changed my oil my oil level was normal.

Finally this morning, I took another measure b4 I came out and the car was cold. It showed oil level between the min and max marks but closer to the min.

Since I changed my oild on Sunday night til now, I've been carefully checking for leakage every time I pull my car out of parking. And I didn't see any sign of leaking. So maybe it's the way I meansured it or maybe somehow I wetted the channel where the measuring stick goes through and that's why there is oil on the stick even all the way to the top. BTW, I did take it out and wipe clean b4 I take a measure everytime. Let me check it again on my lunch break.

It got me very worried yesterday cus one of my coworker told me overfill can cause too much oil pressure in the engine which is bad. But he can't explain well. Is that true?

Old 11-01-2005, 02:38 PM
OK. As I said b4, I did another check during my lunch time. Actually I did 2 and it answered my questions. My 1st check was b4 the engine started, it showed normal oil level. I then started the engine for about a minute and did my 2nd one right away like how I did yesterday and on Sunday. This time I see oil spanning on almost the entire measuring stick. I then carefully read the manual and it said to measure oil level accurately I need to have the engine stopped for 10 min. So that's my problem. And I guess I didn't overfill it. I just measured in the wrong way. Thank you for the help guys.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Overfilling can cause result in the crankshaft spashing into the oil and foaming, which decreases lubricative properties, I think.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
I over filled the oil in my first car ever.. NOT GOOD... bent the rods. If you turned the motor over and you truly over filled it.. you're F**** screwed.

I REALLY hope this isn't the case for you. I got my fingers crossed for yeh.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:58 PM
whooops - missed ur last post. glad everything was alright.. (whew!)

Old 11-02-2005, 12:34 PM
WOW, that sounds really bad. And I'm sure if that had happened I wouldn't be able to get it covered by warranty. I went to howstuffworks.com and tried to get an understanding of the precise role of the engine oil. It seems like too much oil may result in too little space for the piston to move because unlike air, oil doesn't change volumn much when pressed. And that, I guess, is why it bent your rod. Anyway, I guess I'm ok now.

BTW, the oil change from regular to Mobile 1 5W30 seems to improved my gas efficiencty for about 10%. For my commute, I constantly get about 17.8~18.2 MPG for this oil change. Now 250 miles after the oil change, my navigation system is telling me I'm getting 20.4 MPG. Nothing else changed in my car so this got to be because of the oil change. But the thing is I didn't see any improvement in MPG from my last oil change which was regular oil to regular oil. I plan to not reset this meter and see what happens till my next oil change (7500). Maybe the Mobile 1 oil and filter is worth the cost.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ansetou
WOW, that sounds really bad. And I'm sure if that had happened I wouldn't be able to get it covered by warranty. I went to howstuffworks.com and tried to get an understanding of the precise role of the engine oil. It seems like too much oil may result in too little space for the piston to move because unlike air, oil doesn't change volumn much when pressed. And that, I guess, is why it bent your rod. Anyway, I guess I'm ok now.

BTW, the oil change from regular to Mobile 1 5W30 seems to improved my gas efficiencty for about 10%. For my commute, I constantly get about 17.8~18.2 MPG for this oil change. Now 250 miles after the oil change, my navigation system is telling me I'm getting 20.4 MPG. Nothing else changed in my car so this got to be because of the oil change. But the thing is I didn't see any improvement in MPG from my last oil change which was regular oil to regular oil. I plan to not reset this meter and see what happens till my next oil change (7500). Maybe the Mobile 1 oil and filter is worth the cost.
yep if u change all the oil in your drive train you will get better gas milage also. for obviouse reasons

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I over filled engine oil