Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

burn Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by conesweeper
anybody burning oil change the oil at 1,000 using full synthetic oil?
I use syn oil on my second, some people recommend not to use it.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by ballisticus
At 200 miles, I ran mine WOT up to 80MPH, then let it cool for 2-3 minutes, then WOT again. Did this once a day during the breakin period. Changed to Mobil 1 5W/30 at 2200 miles. Now has 64K miles and uses about a qt. every 5K miles. Slow, baby breakin methods are not so good. Hit them hard and early. Just make sure it is up to operating temp and then let the motor cool down between WOT runs. Rings will seat nicely and oil use will be minimal for the life of the engine.
Do you realize what will happen if anybody attempt to do what you did and mess up?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Today, I discovered oil stains in my driveway. So I started my car and revved it a bit. When I looked under the car I saw oil dripping from the Y pipe. Finally, this explains the burning I've been smelling since day one. My car has just over 4,000 miles.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah I went through all my tests too. 1 QT every 1K. 3 weeks passed and nothing from the dealer yet. Startin to get pissed.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:51 PM
i just recently went to the dealership for my 2nd oil consumption test and found out that i'm burning about 1qt/1000 miles. I first went to a different infiniti dealership and they concluded that i only burned .5qt/1000 even though they didn't accurately measure the amount of oil i had left in the engine.

the service technician, from the 2nd dealership, called me back and said that infiniti authorized them to replace the shortblock.

maybe you should try a different dealership and see if they would give you better service.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 AM
So anyways I dropped off my car today for a dry consumption test and a leak down test. I asked the service manager whats with these tests??
He told me " Its the first one in the country with this problem." I was really tempted to tell him to put the crack pipe away, but decided to be nice as it could make my engine work take longer.

Just in case I might have problems with this. If anyone that had their motor swapped in for a new one because of the oil consumption??? If you can share your paperwork with me I would greatly appreciated it. With your personal info blocked off. I just need proof that its not the first one in the country. I kind of want to stick it to the service manager. It would also make legal action alot easier if it came to that point.

Thx

LMK nr2134[AT]gmail.com

Last edited by nr2134; 02-06-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:06 PM
At 200 miles, I ran mine WOT up to 80MPH, then let it cool for 2-3 minutes, then WOT again. Did this once a day during the breakin period. Changed to Mobil 1 5W/30 at 2200 miles. Now has 64K miles and uses about a qt. every 5K miles. Slow, baby breakin methods are not so good. Hit them hard and early. Just make sure it is up to operating temp and then let the motor cool down between WOT runs. Rings will seat nicely and oil use will be minimal for the life of the engine.
i broke in my 04 6mt sedan in similiar fashion..........drove the car off the lot as if it was any other day.......didn't got wot right off the bat, just steadidly increased shift points as milage increased........did the same thing on my then new 2000 Maxima........not a single issue with excessive oil consumption on either car......

Old 02-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, people get really paranoid about hurting their new baby. People running an engine at a safe, constant speed for many hours during breakin do more damage than running it hard in short bursts. The manufacturers just have to cover their butts in the owners manuals so that some idiots dont take the car and run it at 5500 rpm for 20 minutes down the road and score the cylinders and pistons. But it wasnt above redline, what happened? DUH?

The key is to not produce excessive localized heat/friction from SUSTAINED high speed operation during breakin. Thats why the cool downs between WOT runs is important. To let the hot spots dissipate into the surrounding area before tolerances are permanently altered. But the engine should be allowed to experience SHORT-TERM (several seconds) full load and full RPM operation early in its life for maximum power and oil control.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah, people get really paranoid about hurting their new baby. People running an engine at a safe, constant speed for many hours during breakin do more damage than running it hard in short bursts. The manufacturers just have to cover their butts in the owners manuals so that some idiots dont take the car and run it at 5500 rpm for 20 minutes down the road and score the cylinders and pistons. But it wasnt above redline, what happened? DUH?

The key is to not produce excessive localized heat/friction from SUSTAINED high speed operation during breakin. Thats why the cool downs between WOT runs is important. To let the hot spots dissipate into the surrounding area before tolerances are permanently altered. But the engine should be allowed to experience SHORT-TERM (several seconds) full load and full RPM operation early in its life for maximum power and oil control.
ok you got a good point, I just got my car back with short block, with all new zeal. I will give it a try.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Old 05-19-2006, 10:59 AM
everytime i change my oil i'm low too. i have a 05 6mt. i usually have to add a qt every 2500 miles or so.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by rocka_fellow
Just put a large pics of paper at the exhaust, put the gear in N, and step on the gas with the paper at the end of the tail pipe, my have a lot of black little dot on it, which is motor oil.
Motor OIL is BLUE in color when exiting the exhaust...not black.....

Heavy black smoke is too much fuel...and the car is running rich.....

That being said...I have used synthetic mobil 1 since day one with mobil one filters...every time with every change that I do myself.....now I have not noticed any burning or consumption of oil at all with my engine...(which I am about to go out and check the stick and see if i'm low on oil)....as for the break in period...i extended mine to 3500miles and did not "get on it" until the car had over 3500 miles on it.....forget that 1500 that infiniti recommends....

Last edited by allforthecash; 05-19-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:44 AM
i just called infiniti and scheduled a consuption test. they are going to start monday. i'll let you know what they say about my oil consumption problem

ohh and i've been using mobil 1 synthetic also...

Old 05-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Mine is burning oil pretty bad. You can smell it and see the blue when driving behind my car when I get on it hard. I just installed test pipes and now I am seeing the blue smoke. I am starting to wonder if the engine needs back pressure or something but if people are burning oil with stock cats inplace then those are not the problem, it is just a shotty motor I must have received. All the mods are coming off and the car is going in, there is no way with what I have done I should be having oil issues already. Infiniti can replace the rings or valve seals, exhaust isn't going to cause oil burning.

If anyone has anymore information please post up or PM me, I am a little pissed to say the least.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:01 PM
ttt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: burn Motor Oil