Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Stroker Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Done Deal!!

Randy - Of course we're gonna hookup & see if we can break it!! I plan on finding out how docile it can be as a daily driver by trying to come over to some of ya'lls ( am I Southern or what!! ) DFW meets next year. Unfortunately, Katrina put a HUGE crimp in the Z/G Car Club of Louisiana meets ( as well as the rest of 'Nawlins - including my sister ).
Is Marcus ( TXSTYLE ) still around there? I knew him from our old ClubLexus days & now I've followed him over to the Nissan/Infiniti "dark side"!!!

Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Holy S.hit! Your G Is Gonna Be Mean!

Old 11-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MeanGene
Man, U guys just burst my bubble but what the heck - I'm gonna do it anyway!! I bought Gurgen's AEBS block & they're gonna sleeve/bore/hone it out to 100mm so that'll bring me close to 3.9 liters ( Gurgen said 3.87 L & his math's better than mine!! ). Sharif's hooked me up with some Pauters & the HD Arias plus John Isbell ( my installer ) ordered me another crank so I'll basically have a spare motor ( which I hope I don't need! ) S1 cams will go in & John's flowbench guru is already doing some minor headwork; well, 1mm oversized Ferreas might be considered major!! DSS axles & Quaife LSD R at John's shop plus tranny work has already been done ( yes, it's an A/T with a V/B & convertor so I guess we'll quickly find out the limits of that component! ). Here's where the flaming comes into play - using a T-trim Vortech & FMIC for the induction ( hey, Bill - here comes the "why not go T/T" attacks! ). Gonna use the E-Manage Ultimate for tuning but just because the motor SHOULD make an easy 600 rwhp doesn't mean that we'll tune it for that because, as others have accurately pointed out, all the power in the world is useless w/o traction. Besides, I'll still have the nitrous onboard & active!!
BTW - I'm not saying that I WON'T end up with twins but I'm gonna start with the Vortech ( figure it'll be easier to get the power down w/o as much low end torque as turbos make ). Just waiting for the custom pistons to be machined & sent to AEBS.
Yes, it WILL be a daily driver ( as long as it's not raining - wouldn't THAT be a challenge to hookup in the wet!! ). Besides, John's got some ideas to lower the powerband somewhat into a more useful range w/o affecting overall power. FWIW - I had a '87 Lingenfelter 'Vette pushing 550 rwhp on the motor & a 125 hp nitrous kit on top of that & it ran flawlessly for 3+ years. Of course, it was a 406 cid ( or almost twice the displacement of my upcoming built VQ!! ) Guess we'll see in January.
Sounds like fun, but I think you're walking on egg shells and I hope you have a good 2nd car because you'll need it. The VQ35 is not really a stout motor and boring it out only makes things worse. I'd be VERY nervous about boring and sleeving a VQ35. What about rods? Stock VQ35 rods are pretty weak especially if you've got boost and a larger piston. How are you going to get the ECU to compensate for the cam timing of the revised cams? How do you know the aftermarket cams will be ideal for the increased air flow of the heads and displacement increase? Same goes for the forced induction aspect. Naturally aspirated tuned cams usually don't jive well with forced induction.

I hope you've considered the other expenses like a piggy back or standalone ECU, EGT unit and gauge, boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge, AFC unit,plus all that much needed tuning. All that could account for $2,000+. You need all that stuff or your $10,000 VQ38 could quickly become a steaming heep.

If you wanted 500-600whp, you should have considered swapping in the VQ30from the 95-01 Maxima and using the VQ35 heads/cams. The smaller displacement and reduced stroke allows the motor to handle higher rpms and more boost. There are a quite a few turbo/SC VQ30s pushing 400-550whp on internally stock engines. You can pickup low mileage verisons of these motors up for around $200-400. Even better, you could have sourced a JDM VQ30 turbo for about $1000. There's a good reason why Nissan doesn't use turbos on their VQ35....it can't handle it reliabily (along with the fact that the 3.5 displacement requires restrictors to meet race regs). There is a 90% chance the new Skyline GT-R will be a twin turbo 3.2 (VQ35 block, VQ30 crank).

The JATCO 5AT won't last. Sure, it's the same unit in the Titan pickup, but the Titan pickup isn't making 500+whp. I think the JATCO 5AT is rated at somewhere near 400 ft/lbs torque. BTW, trannies are rated in torque, not HP. If a shop tells you the tranny can "handle 1,000hp" then run away. HP is calculated from torque. A 3.5 liter F1 V10 makes 900hp@11,000rpms, but only makes 300 ft/lbs of torque. A modified Inline 6 turbo diesel can make 1000wtq, but only 500whp. HP means nothing, it's the torque you need to be concerned about.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Wow, Dan. That was really rude of you. Steve, I apologize for him for his rudeness.
it's ok. i'm in the good mood today.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:50 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by MeanGene
Randy - Of course we're gonna hookup & see if we can break it!! I plan on finding out how docile it can be as a daily driver by trying to come over to some of ya'lls ( am I Southern or what!! ) DFW meets next year. Unfortunately, Katrina put a HUGE crimp in the Z/G Car Club of Louisiana meets ( as well as the rest of 'Nawlins - including my sister ).
Is Marcus ( TXSTYLE ) still around there? I knew him from our old ClubLexus days & now I've followed him over to the Nissan/Infiniti "dark side"!!!
Great! Can't wait! I don't know Marcus, sorry.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Talking Guess We'll Find Out!

Dave - All good points taken from your post! However, U might want to go back over some of my components & let me know if I missed anything. I THINK I'm covered pretty much everywhere such as rods ( Pauters have been tested to in excess of 600 rwhp ) & the Ultimate E-Manage will cover my tuning needs ( & handle the cam situation ). Speaking of cams - I've been speaking w/JWT about them & their S1 cams DO work well for S/C's while their S2's work better with turbos ( less overlap & duration, I'm told ). As for the sleeved block, Darton's have been used quite successfully in recent years in import drag cars. The only problems I've heard about with sleeves is coolant leaks & my AEBS block will have the optional O-rings machined into the deck so I hope I'm fine there.
I WISH all my gauges & engine management parts only set me back $2k!! That's the biggest drawback to these cars - they aren't inexpensive to mod.
Sharif's been hammering his unsleeved VQ for awhile now & he's making it happen. I'll certainly keep everyone posted on my results.
BTW - I DO have a dependable second car.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by TINMAN
thank you for taking time and explain to me.
and no,English is not my first language.
His first language is an @ss-kickin' built TT coupe! (600+HP at SD dyno day next month???)

Old 11-17-2005, 03:31 AM
Thank you, I think your the only one that has made a post that is even remotely even related to what I was talking about. If I wanted a 700rwhp domestic vehicle, believe me, it would not be nearly as difficult to build one.

Yes, I understand 600-700 rwhp isn't really daily driveable, but you forget that I intend to run boost a lot lower than I would in a race setting. I don't plan on running 20lbs of boost all day long for menial tasks. This just isn't done.

Your insight into the reliability of the VQ has given me some second thought into delving into this project any further. With the $15,000 I was planning on investing into building a powerhouse, I have attributed other costs like aftermarket ECU, etc... I really wouldn't be very smart if I didn't think of such things first.

I'm also well aware that the engine itself would need some extensive work, I've had quite a bit of experience building engines in the past, and yes I know N/A cams won't work very well in a FI application.... Well, I think I'll forego this project, I have no desire really to crack a block I just put $15k into, that wouldn't be very much fun now would it.

I think after my lease, I'll just return the G. It's been a great car, well refined and definitely a pleasure to drive. I mean, a 500 horespower G will definitely run/sound diffeerently than a 500 HP 350 Chevy or other Small block V8, that's kind of a given, but it's a little disheartening to hear I will never be able to squeeze more horsepower than that.

Originally Posted by DaveB
Sounds like fun, but I think you're walking on egg shells and I hope you have a good 2nd car because you'll need it. The VQ35 is not really a stout motor and boring it out only makes things worse. I'd be VERY nervous about boring and sleeving a VQ35. What about rods? Stock VQ35 rods are pretty weak especially if you've got boost and a larger piston. How are you going to get the ECU to compensate for the cam timing of the revised cams? How do you know the aftermarket cams will be ideal for the increased air flow of the heads and displacement increase? Same goes for the forced induction aspect. Naturally aspirated tuned cams usually don't jive well with forced induction.

I hope you've considered the other expenses like a piggy back or standalone ECU, EGT unit and gauge, boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge, AFC unit,plus all that much needed tuning. All that could account for $2,000+. You need all that stuff or your $10,000 VQ38 could quickly become a steaming heep.

If you wanted 500-600whp, you should have considered swapping in the VQ30from the 95-01 Maxima and using the VQ35 heads/cams. The smaller displacement and reduced stroke allows the motor to handle higher rpms and more boost. There are a quite a few turbo/SC VQ30s pushing 400-550whp on internally stock engines. You can pickup low mileage verisons of these motors up for around $200-400. Even better, you could have sourced a JDM VQ30 turbo for about $1000. There's a good reason why Nissan doesn't use turbos on their VQ35....it can't handle it reliabily (along with the fact that the 3.5 displacement requires restrictors to meet race regs). There is a 90% chance the new Skyline GT-R will be a twin turbo 3.2 (VQ35 block, VQ30 crank).

The JATCO 5AT won't last. Sure, it's the same unit in the Titan pickup, but the Titan pickup isn't making 500+whp. I think the JATCO 5AT is rated at somewhere near 400 ft/lbs torque. BTW, trannies are rated in torque, not HP. If a shop tells you the tranny can "handle 1,000hp" then run away. HP is calculated from torque. A 3.5 liter F1 V10 makes 900hp@11,000rpms, but only makes 300 ft/lbs of torque. A modified Inline 6 turbo diesel can make 1000wtq, but only 500whp. HP means nothing, it's the torque you need to be concerned about.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:11 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
I mean, a 500 horespower G will definitely run/sound diffeerently than a 500 HP 350 Chevy or other Small block V8, that's kind of a given, but it's a little disheartening to hear I will never be able to squeeze more horsepower than that
Where did you get that? 350z's on my350z.com are pushing over 600hp and 500ftlbs! A SGP built block can handle what you want to do. You should check out the FI forum on my350z.com.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You may need a new back end with a TT and new internals lol

that will probably be about 600ish horsepower O.o!

Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by ynhrgt

I think after my lease, I'll just return the G. It's been a great car, well refined and definitely a pleasure to drive. I mean, a 500 horespower G will definitely run/sound diffeerently than a 500 HP 350 Chevy or other Small block V8, that's kind of a given, but it's a little disheartening to hear I will never be able to squeeze more horsepower than that.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but you were planning on doing this to a leased car? I hope you were planning on buying it at the end of the lease.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you got... gurgen's... AEBS... block...

/me faints.