Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

URGENT: MREV installed + 5hp / + 16 ft/lbs only? and Pinging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2006 | 03:36 PM
|
No chirp for me. Had VDC on all the time though.
Off topic but since rob brought up ECMs, is the UTEC ECM gonna do much on an almost stock car with MREV plus maybe with a Ztube later on. But generally are ECMs worth it?(The HKS Ti Hi power costs alot more in comparison and I might have clearance issues.) How much does installation / tuning cost usually for the ECM? Or should I take the Unichip for $951 tuned and installed?

Last edited by cloud; 01-22-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2006 | 03:41 PM
Your peak gains are normal for this mod like Tony mentioned before. Nothing to worry about. My peak gains were only 4hp and 11 TQ but through out the RPM range I had some pretty big gains.

Old 01-21-2006 | 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I was a little confused by some of the other plots and wasn't sure of what test conditions they were showing, but the one reposted in my post above is a spot on pre/post dyno of the MREV PLUS. There is nothing imprecise about the dyno pulls. Rob did a good job.

Possibly Rob was looking for the 15HP/20TQ to occur at their respective peaks. ...But that isn't were MREV does its best work. In any case, you made about 25% more gains than the advertised values shown on the website, so you are good to go!

Oh yeah, and as far as the A/F going down between 2400 to 3600, that means you are running even safer in that area and if you want, you can use a Unichip to bring it up --> and you will make even more gains there.

Unichip can adjust A/F ratio by adjusting the fuel injector duty cycle up or down. It can also kick up even more TQ and HP by optimizing the spark timing. That is the whole trick of tuning.

I will be using a Greddy EU on my Z to essentially do the same thing. But you can be sure I will be applying some new and different "out of the box" mods to make more gains.

300+ NA HP to the wheels is the target!

EDIT: And 300+ is with the MREV PLUS so there will be more area under that 300+ curve too.
So is there anyway, or anything in development, that would give us some more top end power? I mean, if you look at any typical dyno graph of an NA VQ motor, the torque curve really starts to dip around 5k. If somehow there's a way to level out that part of the torque curve, I'm sure that 300whp won't be too far away.

Old 01-21-2006 | 10:16 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that A/F ratio. Nothing.

Old 01-22-2006 | 04:08 PM
Were they able to log your spark between runs? I am curious to see what it looks like. Only thing they could do to prevent pinging up top if the A/F has remained the same is pull some timing, but I don't see that being a problem if nothing in the tune was touched. Any chance you got a bad batch of gas(I really doubt this would cause any problems if the MREV is your only mod) just throwing stuff out there. Doesn't really make sense to me.

See if they also have your intake air temperature logged? If this is really high near the end of your run it could be causing pinging, but your ECU should be pulling timing to prevent this so something is not making sense to me.

Old 01-23-2006 | 02:48 AM
|
I have no idea. The mechanic said it made a loud sound once some ticks on the high end when doing the dyno and that he was positive there was detonation. Then, Rob and I got in the car to give it a run and he said he hears the ticking which I don't really hear cause I'm unfamiliar of the ticking sound. He tells me its best to be light on throttle and keep my RPMs out from the high end until I get the chip or something similar to stop the pinging. Rob is a great guy and I seriously doubt that he would tell me the engine is pinging just to earn some $ off the chip.

Last edited by cloud; 01-23-2006 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2006 | 09:27 AM
could it be the rear axle ticking??? because i think i get that sometimes also at around 5k-6k rpm.

Old 01-23-2006 | 11:21 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
It could have been the ECU moving the timing around. It adjust timing all the time... and its hard to predict when and why it does.

I've done enough dynos to get a generalized feel for how it adjusts timing based on feedback and algorithms, but one thing is for sure, timing constantly moves all over the place and its not easy to control.

Once thing nice about the UTEC is that once you program in a timing setting, it can hold it absolutely constant if you want it to. The Greddy EU can advance or retard timing, but it cant hold it stable like the UTEC. ...And I don't know what the UNICHIP can do for stability of timing. Rob can tell you more about that one.

Old 01-23-2006 | 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by cloud
I have no idea. The mechanic said it made a loud sound once some ticks on the high end when doing the dyno and that he was positive there was detonation. Then, Rob and I got in the car to give it a run and he said he hears the ticking which I don't really hear cause I'm unfamiliar of the ticking sound. He tells me its best to be light on throttle and keep my RPMs out from the high end until I get the chip or something similar to stop the pinging. Rob is a great guy and I seriously doubt that he would tell me the engine is pinging just to earn some $ off the chip.
If you hear a sound like marbles/rocks in a can then that is detonation for sure. If you can hear that much I would be worried. How audible was it? Sure it wasn't a follower or something like that. It may even be injectors making noise.

Old 01-28-2006 | 04:34 PM
|
I noticed in the box of unreused parts, there are a few bolts & 1 gasket(don't know if its the gasket but its black and looks exactly like the one motordyne sent me) Is that gasket & other parts supposed to be reused? If so, why hasn't my mechanic reused it?

Old 01-28-2006 | 08:48 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
That doesn't sound right... Everything in the kit is supposed to be used.

Please post a pic of whats left.

Old 01-28-2006 | 10:20 PM
To my understanding the mrev helps beneath the curve and not peak numbers

Old 01-30-2006 | 02:53 AM
|
I don't have a camera with me right now, but there are a few bolts left. and something that looks exactly like the gasket with came with the MREV only that its black in color.

Old 01-30-2006 | 02:55 AM
if you baught a kit sold to 350z owners (its the same kit with a few small extra parts - washers and big bolts i think), there will be a couple parts left over, b/c the 350z has a strut bar in the engine compartment, and so the parts relating to the strut bar won't be used

Old 01-30-2006 | 11:43 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by cloud
I don't have a camera with me right now, but there are a few bolts left. and something that looks exactly like the gasket with came with the MREV only that its black in color.
Is the remaining gasket made of thin metal?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: URGENT: MREV installed + 5hp / + 16 ft/lbs only? and Pinging