Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What Next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Next?

So far, I have the following

Z-tube
K&N drop in
MD plenum spacer
HKS Hi Powered Exhaust (in transit)

What would be next? Anything? Or are the mods after this not worth the money (since I won't be going FI).

I'd like to redo the suspension next personally, since I don't know much about engine mods, etc. And then save up for new wheels. I still have the stock 18s.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
most will say headers and cats

Old 02-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by rcdash
most will say headers and cats
that would be the next logical step

Old 02-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Headers and cats. Do we have a consensus on brand recommendations?

Old 02-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eledin
I'd like to redo the suspension next personally, since I don't know much about engine mods, etc. And then save up for new wheels. I still have the stock 18s.
Save up for the wheels you really, really want. Then build the suspension around those. You could lower it now and make it look good with the stock 18's, then throw on a set of 19's and be forced to change the whole thing.

Engine wise I think you have covered the basics and it's a big step up from there to get much more out of the engine. Headers, Cats, EMU, good tune.

This is all IMO

Old 02-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Mod Junky!
go with suspension...so when you get your wheels you are set. Aside from the fact the car will be more fun to drive with a sportier suspension. Headers cost allot to install but if you are not going FI you will want to do everything you can so you may want to spend the $$ eventually but I would prefer to put that 800-1000 towards wheels.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by e420x
go with suspension...so when you get your wheels you are set. Aside from the fact the car will be more fun to drive with a sportier suspension. Headers cost allot to install but if you are not going FI you will want to do everything you can so you may want to spend the $$ eventually but I would prefer to put that 800-1000 towards wheels.
That's what I was thinking. I'd leave the engine stuff alone now and work on the looks of the car.

But what about what the above poster mentioned? I have 18s now and obviously want 19s, so getting shocks/springs set up for 18s probably is a waste if I'm going to change to 19s, correct? Unless of course I get coilovers which can be adjusted.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Mod Junky!
No its not a waste at all, decide what suspension you want and go for it, the only time you would have to wait is if you were going with 20 inch wheels which a aggressive offset and plan to run 285s in back, then you may want to think about what suspension to run.

With 19's you can put anything on, pretty much the same if you decide to go with 20s to, you just may have to run a 10" wheel with a 275 tire

Old 02-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eledin
That's what I was thinking. I'd leave the engine stuff alone now and work on the looks of the car.

But what about what the above poster mentioned? I have 18s now and obviously want 19s, so getting shocks/springs set up for 18s probably is a waste if I'm going to change to 19s, correct? Unless of course I get coilovers which can be adjusted.
It wont be a waste at all it just might not align the same after you get 19's and force MORE changes to your suspension. Once you lower your G you may or may not have to get camber arms, toe bolts etc. to keep your alignment in check. With stock 18's your camber will be different than with wider 19's or different wheels. If you know what you want wheel wise you can get the cart first (Suspension) and buy the horse later (wheels). Once you do one, you will want the other, BAD.

IMO the biggest impact, best change to the G35 is adding aftermarket wheels and tires, so of course I say do that first.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by HillBilly
It wont be a waste at all it just might not align the same after you get 19's and force MORE changes to your suspension. Once you lower your G you may or may not have to get camber arms, toe bolts etc. to keep your alignment in check. With stock 18's your camber will be different than with wider 19's or different wheels. If you know what you want wheel wise you can get the cart first (Suspension) and buy the horse later (wheels). Once you do one, you will want the other, BAD.
Thanks.

Again, not to up on all the options, but I'd like a 19 inch wheel. What else needs to be considered there? I hear all about offsets, different tire sizes, etc and I'm not sure about any of it. So that in mind, there are certain suspension set ups that favour different sized (beyond just 18 vs 19) wheels?

I'm in Canada and it seems for things like Volks, etc I'm looking at about 5 grand with Toyos. Spendy! Is it really necessary to get these really expensive rims? I know the motto of 'you get what you pay for' but are the slightly cheaper brands that poor in quality?

Old 02-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by e420x
No its not a waste at all, decide what suspension you want and go for it, the only time you would have to wait is if you were going with 20 inch wheels which a aggressive offset and plan to run 285s in back, then you may want to think about what suspension to run.

With 19's you can put anything on, pretty much the same if you decide to go with 20s to, you just may have to run a 10" wheel with a 275 tire
How did you decide on the suspension you wanted? I won't be going 20, so I don't have to worry about too much a difference.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Mod Junky!
Wheels and offsets are a whole another thread, you can check into suspension as well and put something adjustable like a coilover on there to get a perfect look or search for certain suspension types and see what drop you like with the rim size you plan on going with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.