Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

ALMS G35 GTS Race Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALMS G35 GTS Race Car

Hello everyone,

I am working on starting a G35 coupe to compete in the American Le Mans Series in the GTS class to compete against the Prodrive Ferrari 550 maranello's and the Chevy Corvette's. I am looking to see what kind of feed back i get from you guys if i should go ahead with the project or not also i am looking for sponsers who would like to be a part of this project. If feed back is good i will release Technical specs and early rendering of what the car would look like. Look forward to here from you.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Re: ALMS G35 GTS Race Car

Great idea, but aren't you at a significant power and displacement disadvantage? The only way I know that you can make up for that is with a turbo...do the rules allow that?

04 G35 6MTS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem/Wint (Hopefully Sept 03)
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 09-08-2003, 02:25 PM

Ok to better explain the rules for ALMS say that you may run up to a maximum of 8.0 Liters on a N/A motor and 4.0 Liters on a Turbocharges Engine with air restrictors. I would be somewhere between 3.5 and 4.0 Liters due to engine config... Power output would be in the neiborhood of 700 to 800 HP. with pupose built twin turbo race setup on 100 octane gas as specified by the rules.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ALMSg35 on 09/08/03 11:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM

Wow! 7-800 hp on a G motor. Hope that can be made to stay together. Still, dosn't sound like that unreasonable a task for a 3.5+ liter race motor. I think you'd be breaking new ground in a lot of areas.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM

I understand that in Japan, there are parts numbers for bare chassis. Maybe you can get one of those to start with, so you don't have to rip up and discard a perfectly nice new G.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:58 PM

Basicly, but the all new alluminum spaceframe would be made all with all racing compenents, ducting,electronic, air jacks, ect. All carbon fiber bodywork. Full purpose built race car somewhere in the neiborhood of $750,000 to make and design first prototype. As far as the motor it would be made to last 24 hours in some cases all most every piece of the engine would be made from titainium except the block. I have calls in to nismo and Hks to see if there intested in building the motors. boost would be in the neiborhood of probably 25 to 30 lbs.

Old 09-08-2003, 03:28 PM

So as I understand it, it REALLY would be an Infiniti G35 Coupe, it would just look like one.
If your changing the subframe, etc., etc., is it still a G35???

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
2003 G35C, 6MT, Navi, Black Obsidian/Graphite

Old 09-08-2003, 03:38 PM

Technically yes is its just a full purpose built race car!! frame to same speciafactions and dimensions just on a racing platform. It would start life as a new stock Infiniti G35 sports coupe.
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ALMSg35 on 09/08/03 12:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-08-2003, 03:41 PM

Wow a $750K G35 race car! Must see when done!!![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2003, 04:11 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Technically yes is its just a full purpose built race car!! frame to same speciafactions and dimensions just on a racing platform. It would start life as a new stock Infiniti G35 sports coupe.

<hr></blockquote>

That's why I made the comment about the availability of the body shells from Japan. I know Nissam makes GT-R shells available to racers in Japan. No sense in ripping up a stock G if you use only the chassis. I guess it depends on how you build. If it's totally tube frame/monoque, with carbon fiber skin, there's certainly no need to rip apart a G at all. After all, you won't be using any of the parts. But if you're sticking with the stock unibody, getting an empty shell to seam weld, etc, might save a bundle. I can't imagine that there would be any other parts other than the unibody shell that you would use.....maybe the emblems?

Old 09-08-2003, 04:30 PM

RacerX rules state "aluminium roof and rear quarters, with all other bodywork panels in carbon fibre composite. Front engine/rear drive layout." which is way i must start with oem g35

Old 09-08-2003, 09:05 PM

who is going to be funding ur project? and you know there is already a 350Z create motor that makes 450 hourses or somthing with 12.7.1 compression or somthing. Wont it be hard to keep the turbos cool for 25 hours at that kinda pace.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:10 PM
RugRatCoupe

Looks & Power, you'd have it all.
Plus the most important factor, the G-35 would be the David & Goliath of the ALMS Circuit. The Crowd Favorite Underdog.
Japan & Europe have the Nissan GT-R's on thier race circuits. We need a strong Nissan/Infiniti presence & role model on our side of the pond.
Maybe not much coming from a former 2 cycle sprint go-cart racer...But you have my support!
Pics of Talladega Gran Prix open Track day sponsored by the Cobra /Shelby Club of Alabama Aug.17th. A tight 1.3 mile road course, I had the 2nd fastest times of the day w/ my G-35c 6mt. & the Only V6 in the top 7 cars. And with only a few mods:
Stillen Exhaust
Eiabach Springs
Nismo Sway Bars
Injen Intake
But more important, the UnderDog, the Crowd Favorite..
Go For It!!!
RugRatCoupe

100351-Nismo6SwayBarsSmall.jpg

Old 09-09-2003, 12:01 PM

Sorry but 450 hp just isn't going to cut it in the GTS class the ferrari 550 maranello GTS car has some thing in the neiborhood of 700 hp for its V12 as far as turbo's the ultimate car in the ALMS the Audi R8 runs a 4 liter V8 with turbos and that is beating the crap out of eveyone for the last 3 years straight. They dont have any problems with reliability. As far as funds and sponcership I am currently spending alot of time looking for sponcers and drivers. I have two drivers in mind that i am trying to work with who are pretty well know know in the driving industry. But I need to find some good sponcers for a project this large I am trying to get Nismo USA to back the project because if iget there support We Cant Lose!!

Old 09-09-2003, 12:44 PM

Since no one answered your original question I will, YES! Go for it. It would be killer. It would be great exposure and bring a fresh approach to the series.

Sounds like you have a decent racing pedigree and will do your homework to make a car competitive. Obviously a lot of the replies are lost "wow 800 Hp out of a G35 engine... hope it holds together" Well duuh, obviously this is going to be a $six figure purpose-built power plant. Chassis and Brake set-up is more important than Hp guys..

I guess the deciding factor will be who you can get for sponsors and how much factory support you can get.

If it were my $$$$ I would go for an incremental approach. Start in the GT class rather than the GTS class. You could build in more reliability and get drivers to place at nearly every race. And due to the feedback your getting from this board, you can campaign a product that is more "tangible". A product that us ordinary guys can relate. Then the next season go for the GTS class, It would be nice to get Collins or Bell to drive for you (steel 'em from Chevrolet). That's my two cents

G35 Coupe/ Red/ 6-Spd/ Premium/ 20"Wheels

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
- Abraham Maslow (1908-1970)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ALMS G35 GTS Race Car