Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

The whole ECU reset thing . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 01:56 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The whole ECU reset thing . . .

We need to arrange a blind test... drive it like a granny for a few days. Have someone you trust implicitly do the disconnect one nigth while you're sleeping, but not tell you on which night. Make sure you reset your A/B odo each night and have them reset radio stations, that way there will be no difference in the interior. Note the shift-patterns, intake sound, etc. and write it down each day... see if your observations changed on the actual day of the disconnect [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] Like I'd trust someone to do a disconnect on my car... either that, or use a Dyno!

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 09-13-2003, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I did about 100mi today. Some freeway, a lot of city, and about 30 miles of canyon runs, all after a 13hr neg terminal disconnect. I can still chirp the rears power shifting to third if I get a good run, but no more often than before the reset. The car pulls strong in all the same places, but doesn't seem any more powerful or torquey than before.

My conclusion is that if my ECU had detuned my car in the last 1800 miles, resetting it via the 12hr method did not provide any ostensible benefit. I observed no difference at all.

Perhaps I didn't reset it properly, perhaps my car hasn't "detuned" yet, and/or perhaps the change was too small to measure without objective tools or at least a very accurate butt-dyno. This is only one more (subjective) data point, but I remain skeptical. We really need a well-designed, emprical, data-driven study to find the truth about the ECU reset.

In a couple oil changes I'll try again to see if I notice a difference.

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 09-14-2003, 11:43 AM
jcv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ECU adaptation depends a lot on how you have been driving. If you've been grannying it, then the reset may be more obvious. All it takes to re-adapt is a couple of hard runs not weeks or days.

By the way, these kinds of ECU date back to Buick GN in 1986 that used first Bosch Motronic and coil fired plugs in the US. After disconnecting the battery, it usually took a few hard runs for the car to retune itself.

Old 09-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Shader- IMO, the reset is much more noticiable in the 5AT, which also makes more sense. I drove a before-and-after of my buddy's 6MT and didn't notice too much of a difference, but that really depends on the driver... the 5AT, however, has a big kick. If you know someone with one, check it out.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint