FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

SAT, Install it yourself.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAT, Install it yourself.

If you have ever connected a VCR to your TV set, you can do this SAT install. It's that easy. This install was on G35c, and I have no idea as to how other installs may be accomplished.

I purchased my kit from Scottsdale, AZ Infiniti. I previously had checked that my VIN was above the Coupe cutoff of 210827 or higher, and that I had the approximately 1" white connector near the speakers amp. in the left corner of the trunk.

My unit was made by Clarion, and I was confused by the two possible connection points. You want the one that is on the same side as the two antenna ports. There are a lot of bits and pieces bolts, etc. in the package that you will not use for the coupe install, most of this stuff was for the SUV vehicles.

How to mount the unit. Obviously, you don't want to start drilling any holes in that area. To accidently drill into the gas tank would really ruin your day. I found a 3M marine product that is five times stronger than conventional hook and loop fasteners. You can probably find it at any marine store. They are marine grade velcro fastners, and they really hold. The part number is: 051135-06539. Of all the stuff in the package, you will find two "L" shaped mounting brackets. Use just one of these on the right side of the receiver. Then place one strip of the velcro on the bottom of the bracket, and the other strip on the floor of the trunk. This will really keep the unit securely in place. You will want to face the 1" white connector and two antenna connectors toward the front of the car. You will also want to use the 10'-12" black wire with closed loop at one end, and an open "C" connection on the other end as a grounding line. Loosten one of the bolts holding the speaker amp. support structure, and slide the open "C" connection under one of those bolts. The other end is attached to the receiver box. I ended up purchasing the TERK antenna for two reasons, one was that is a mag. mount, and it has a lower profile that the factory antenna. From radio amateur experience, I have found that trunk mounted antennas were entirely satisfactory. I did not want to place it on the roof, and leaving the antenna inside the vehicle would dramatically reduce signal reception quality. Since the antenna wires are quite small, I was able to stuff them under the rubber moulding around the trunk, and then under the black plastic at the rear edge of the trunk opening. The kit comes with a number of wire clip holders that can be placed at appropriate locations.

I hope this has not been too wordy, as I was trying to help others who may wish to do their own install rather than paying the shop rate. I am absolutely thrilled with the sound quality, and all the station choices. It really was worth the effort. Enjoy.

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/6AT/Premium/Splash/Garmin SteetPilot III/V1/SAT/XM

Old 05-30-2003, 07:24 AM
Re: SAT, Install it yourself.

What was the Clarion model number?

Larry Bushaw - "There's nothing a donut won't solve!"

Old 05-30-2003, 12:30 PM

The model number is: EN-1187E

Old 05-31-2003, 02:32 AM

Did Scottsdale Infiniti sell you the newly released FACTORY SATELLITE RADIO kit for the FX35/FX45???

What were the part numbers they sold you??

Old 05-31-2003, 12:00 PM
G SQUAD

How much was the kit and how good is the reception?

2003.5 - G35 6spd - Diamond Graphite/Graphite leather, prem, aero package/kit

Old 05-31-2003, 06:30 PM
Omi
Charter Monkey Florida G35 club

Thanks for the writeup. I did the same thing (also used the TERK XM3 trunk antenna) and installed all items. The problem that I have now is that the radio will stick on the radio ID display and when you try to tune to diff channels, it will scroll through the channels, but if you let go of the tuner button, it will default back to channel 000 and then go back to radio ID. Any thoughts on that one? The XM people think the tuner is bad and told me to return it, but I am hoping there is something that I may have overlooked.

Old 06-01-2003, 02:15 AM

Yes. the part no. is: 28051-CR900

Old 06-01-2003, 02:22 AM

$300 plus shipping. Was out on a rally this afternoon with 10 other G35s and one Z. It really put the XM receiver and TERK antenna to a real test. While driving from Marin to San Francisco to meet the group, I had to pass through the Waldo Tunnel and expected a complete loss of signal. No drop out at all. Then that afternoon while driving through heavy tree cover of redwood groves and many hills on the way to Stinson Beach, there was hardly any signal drop out. I almost went the Delphi route, but glad I decided on the quality of signal route. The sound fidelity is superb.

Old 06-01-2003, 02:28 AM

I was having the same problems, but found that I needed to take the car out in the neighborhood with a clear shot to the satellites. That did solve the problem. Tech support told me that all 101 channels had to be synched, and just took some time. Even though I had a wood garage roof, the synching process went a lot better when I got out in the open.

Old 06-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Omi
Charter Monkey Florida G35 club

thanks! I will drive it around a bit and see if I can get the signals.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:36 AM

Hello. I am a bit confused on how I could install satellite radio. I have a 2003 G35 Sedan, that I purchased in May of 2002. I went to the website: http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/Prod...roductId=3573, but at the bottom of the description it states: ".***YOUR VEHICLE MUST BE PRE-WIRED FOR THE SATELLITE RADIO UPGRADE***. Please call for more information."

What does this mean? When I bought my car I didn't have the option of adding satellite radio. So what now, could I still follow the instruction you posted. Or was your car already pre-wired for satellite radio. Also do you have a seperate display or is everything controlled via the stock head unit. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2003, 03:42 PM

Yes, my G35c was preinstalled for SAT. The cut off point for coupes VIN is: 210827 and higher. For the sedan it is: 321894 and higher. Vehicles with lower VIN numbers do not have SAT capability through the Infiniti installed head unit. What I installed was a SAT receiver that did plug into the BOSE head unit via a harness that came with the coupe. If you are still interested in SAT radio, and find that your VIN is lower than the cut off point, you may wish to consider the Delphi system which provide some very attractive features.

Old 06-04-2003, 10:22 AM

That is what I thought. Oh well, I guess I will have to look into the Delphi system. Thanks for you help Ca_Kid .