Speeding ticket in largo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Florida G35 Club Premier Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speeding ticket in largo

Sup all. Haven't been on the boards in awhile (football season!) and glad to see it's still pretty active. When's the next mini meet JB??? It'd be cool to hook up with some people again.

Well, a few weeks ago, I got pulled over for a speeding ticket going 66 in a 45, but I'm taking it to court. I may have, but i don't think i was going that fast because it was around a railroad track that I always take slowly. I hate taking tickets to court because I feel like i'm always discriminated against, but I *think* i have a good case.

First, the cop posted the limit as a 45MPH zone, but the infraction occurred in a 50MPH zone. It didn't turn to 45 until after i was pulled over. I wasn't speeding when it was technically a 45 zone cause I had to slow down at the stop light. Do you think this is good enough to fight? Anyone know of a good traffic lawyer?

Old 10-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Look in the phone book for traffic defense lawyers.

Do you have a good driving record? If so, you may simply have to pay the fine and court costs and have adjudication withheld (meaning you weren't found guilty) so no points.

Have you already elected to contest the ticket by opting for a hearing? You have a certain time period to do that.

If you plead that it was a 50 mph zone and not 45 mph, the judge will likely say that you were still doing 66 in a 50, which is still speeding.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Look in the phone book for traffic defense lawyers.

Do you have a good driving record? If so, you may simply have to pay the fine and court costs and have adjudication withheld (meaning you weren't found guilty) so no points.

Have you already elected to contest the ticket by opting for a hearing? You have a certain time period to do that.

If you plead that it was a 50 mph zone and not 45 mph, the judge will likely say that you were still doing 66 in a 50, which is still speeding.
Not a good driving record in the past, but lately i only had 1 ticket within the past 3 years, but that one i took the driving course for.

Yeah, you have 30 days. I have 1 more week to contest it. I need to call today to do it.

That's why I hate traffic court - because it's all up to the judge. Technically, if there's any mistake at all on the ticket, it's *supposed* to be dismissed. For example, if they had a typo on the ticket and it said like 44 instead of 45, it's supposed to be dismissed. That's why I would like to have representation so that they can argue that point. Nobody would respect me if I tried to fight it myself.

Also, is a "pace clock" basically something that the cop car tracks your speed by just following you? That doesn't seem to accurate because if the cop was behind me, he'd have to speed up to catch up to me, and in order to do that, he'd have to be speeding, and who's to say when he was following me and when he was speeding up to catch up to me?

Steve

Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
FGC Central Florida BOD
cops are legally allowed to speed to "pace clock" which is just traveling the same speed as another vehicle.

Cops are also allowed to write tickets that will hold up in court by just standing on the road and "estimating" your speed with their naked eye. Supposidely they have a "trained eye" to detect speeds. Its total BS but yes the 66 part will hold up even without radar.

As for the 50, not 45 mistake....I once was giving a ticket in Missouri where the cop forgot to have me sign. I tried to say it wasnt a valid ticket as he didnt explain my options to me and have me sign. That didnt fly and it held up.

My recommendation would be for you to take the driving school again if the last ticket was over 12months ago. If it wasnt then just pay the ticket since that will only be 3pts over past 3yrs which is alot better than I can say.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:32 PM
No go on the driving school. I think it was within 12 months. Also, I only have 1 more time to take it in my life time.

My insurance is already high so I want to avoid getting anymore points. I think my options are to try to fight it or plead guilty in court (pay fine w/no points). I'm going to speak to some traffic lawyers to see what my chances are. Also, 66 in 45 is different fine amount than 66 in 50 - about $25.

My neighbor is a traffic judge and he said that any flaw in the ticket should get it dismissed, but the cop has 15 minutes before trial to correct any mistakes on it - like typos or anything. But I don't think he'd realize he got me in a 50 instead of 45 - i could take pictures of the speed limit signs as proof too.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would take it to a traffic lawyer, most of the time they guarantee no school, no points. depending on the ticket

but i've taken many tickets to them and have never gotten any points or had to goto school.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:00 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by aznluder
Sup all. Haven't been on the boards in awhile (football season!) and glad to see it's still pretty active.
Football season... Seems like it's not a good year to be a Bucs fan... But... who knows, the season is still young. USF is still looking good though...

Originally Posted by aznluder
When's the next mini meet JB??? It'd be cool to hook up with some people again.
I've been trying to get ahold of John Oliva to set up a Saturday morning slot to install rear camber arms and toe bolts in my coupe. It might be fun to have a Saturday Lokey Meet like we used to.

If that doesn't happen, how about a Mini Meet during the week before it starts getting dark earlier in the day?

Old 10-03-2006, 02:39 PM
You're going to have to prove that the location where he paced you was a 50 mph zone and not a 45 mph zone. I guess you could take pictures and have the cop validate them as accurate.

Best bet with your record - get a lawyer.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by _jb
Football season... Seems like it's not a good year to be a Bucs fan... But... who knows, the season is still young. USF is still looking good though...

I've been trying to get ahold of John Oliva to set up a Saturday morning slot to install rear camber arms and toe bolts in my coupe. It might be fun to have a Saturday Lokey Meet like we used to.

If that doesn't happen, how about a Mini Meet during the week before it starts getting dark earlier in the day?
I'm up for it. I'm living close to lokey for the next few months.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
You're going to have to prove that the location where he paced you was a 50 mph zone and not a 45 mph zone. I guess you could take pictures and have the cop validate them as accurate.

Best bet with your record - get a lawyer.
How about I send the cop a six pack of heineken and ask him not to show up to court?

Old 10-03-2006, 09:01 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
i just got back 2 tickets that i got lowered from speeding. 1 in missouri, 1 in florida. sadly both are like $300 which is about what the ticket was. oh well, at least i dont have points.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:48 PM
FGC General Member
Do you remember the name of the officer? My dad is an officer in Largo... HAHA. Let me know the name of the officer. I might know him and I will let you know what to do.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by crazyg35coupe
Do you remember the name of the officer? My dad is an officer in Largo... HAHA. Let me know the name of the officer. I might know him and I will let you know what to do.
Haha, no kidding. Officer was Maynard.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Sounds like the Match Game.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:46 PM
FGC General Member
hmmmm. thats not one I know of. I am away at college, I will give my pops a call tonight and ask if he knows him. My dad doesnt patrol the road so he might know him. Ill check tho

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket in largo