FHP/PBSO/BRPD Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 AM
MyG37 Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb FHP/PBSO/BRPD Need Help

I am having a serious problem with the security officers in my community. I have repeatedly explained to them, their sergeants and members of my HOA about parking in the middle of the road late at night and shooting radar. While I am opposed to them shooting radar, there is not much I am able to do about that since I live in a private community and have given up a lot of rights within the subdivision. Fortunately ninety percent of the time they are shooting radar on the other side of my neighborhood and I am not affected by this.

Most nights (late like 11pm-1am) I like to rollerblade around the subdivision and tonight while I was doing so I was almost run over by one of the security officers pulling out of a neighborhood without his lights on. I immediately turned around and told him that he almost caused a serious problem and informed him that it is against the law to sit in the middle of the road and poking out of subdivision without at least his parking lights on. As soon as I returned home I phoned the security house and explained to the officer in charge what had happened and told him he needs to inform his officers they must have their parking lights on. His response of course, “we always have our lights on.” I told him I was driving back around soon to make sure the lights were on. Again, not on and sitting right in front of a neighborhood in a 35mph road with no lights on. Is that not against the law or am I completely retarded?? I have never once seen a police officer or highway patrol completely in the dark while shooting radar at night.

Which FL statute would be correct: 316.217 or 316.229 and what are the laws for occupied park cars on public roads after dusk? **** I hateee private communities!!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 AM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
gilley would most likely be the best person to answer this for you.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what neighborhood do u live in?

Old 04-19-2007, 01:05 AM
MyG37 Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woodfield C.C.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:23 AM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
take pictures of them without their lights on.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:00 AM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
but do so with teh flash off if you can. cause the the flash can cause the reflectors to make it look like the lights are on.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are correct. They must at least have their parking lights on while sitting and shooting radar/laser.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't have time to research the statutes, but here is the Florida Senate website where you can search and read statutes. Look on the left side under search statutes.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Welcome/inde...TOKEN=56876177

If it is private security, why are they running radar? They can't enforce any laws. If the police are using radar and patrolling private property, they must have a signed agreement with your HOA to allow them to do so, or the traffic laws have no effect on private property, except DUI.

Last edited by Gilley; 04-19-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
I don't have time to research the statutes, but here is the Florida Senate website where you can search and read statutes. Look on the left side under search statutes.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Welcome/inde...TOKEN=56876177

If it is private security, why are they running radar? They can't enforce any laws. If the police are using radar and patrolling private property, they must have a signed agreement with your HOA to allow them to do so, or the traffic laws have no effect on private property, except DUI.

I concur-they have no authority...there are a couple of angles for the lighting issues as well as simply sitting in the middle of the road, under the obstructing traffic section talking about hazard lights and such...

Old 04-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Well in tampa area, late at night on state road 54/56 cops sit in the dark al lthe time in the medians, and most of the time i dont see them with their parking lights on, i only see them once i flash my brights in their face

and yes private neighborhoods do use radar.. theres this palce called Avila in tampa that my friend lives in, they have retired police men for security, and if they catch you running stop signs, or speeding (using radar) they will write you a little citation that you have to pay to the community of avila or you get kicked out or something.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by lostsk8r
Well in tampa area, late at night on state road 54/56 cops sit in the dark al lthe time in the medians, and most of the time i dont see them with their parking lights on, i only see them once i flash my brights in their face

and yes private neighborhoods do use radar.. theres this palce called Avila in tampa that my friend lives in, they have retired police men for security, and if they catch you running stop signs, or speeding (using radar) they will write you a little citation that you have to pay to the community of avila or you get kicked out or something.

Sitting in a median is not the same as sitting in the middle of a public right of way...Additionally, an association's covenants or fines have no bearing on a Florida Uniform Traffic Citation applying points and restrictions to one's driver's license...It's not the same...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.