Portable A/C Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Portable A/C Unit

Has anyone ever used one? I am looking to get one to save money on electric bills. (yes i still live at home and yes i got bitched out by my dad, went from $195 to $375) The neighborhood i live in does not allow window units, so i am looking into getting an 8,000 BTU portable A/C unit if its worth getting. if you have used them in the past, please let me know issues youve had and if you would recommend it.

i have a "swamp cooler" but to me its just as good as a fan. thanks in advance for the advice, i know im always on here asking questions and ****, but hey, if you cant ask ur fellow G member, who can u ask lol.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they make a plasma unit, works very well from what i haerd, plasma cool I think .

Old 08-29-2008, 04:00 AM
I just bought a Sanyo one from Home Depot before Fay hit.
We always lose power for a couple of days when these damn storms come thru. Didn't need to use it (this time), but I heard from a friend that they work pretty well for a normal size room. She uses it to supplement the air conditioning for her bedroom, and she's happy with the cooling and lower power bill. Just have to remember to empty the water reservoir, or it stops working when it's full.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My buddy has one for his kid at his dry cleaner. It works like a charm. Only problem is there is an exhaust vent kinda like a dryer vent which you'll want to pipe outside.

I dont know what it is about asian parents, but they still think were in the ****in jungle or something. The thermostat in my parent's house is set at 81 degree? WTF?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by black_sedan
My buddy has one for his kid at his dry cleaner. It works like a charm. Only problem is there is an exhaust vent kinda like a dryer vent which you'll want to pipe outside.

I dont know what it is about asian parents, but they still think were in the ****in jungle or something. The thermostat in my parent's house is set at 81 degree? WTF?
woah! 81? damn, how can you sleep when is that hot

we keep ours at 75 and it still feels hot in the mornings

Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
damn I would wake up in full sweats if I tried to sleep with it like that. I love going to hotels and pertending I am in Antartica and turn it to 50

Old 08-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
man if i was your dad i would letyou sleep outside in a tent for the nite then let you in the next day to see how good you got it and the you would appreciate the 81 degrees in the house !

Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow man, you are about 1-week too late!! hahahah TRUE STORY. I went to take out the trash from my condo, and someone was moving out and they left a bunch of stuff by the front of the dumpster because they didn't have room in the moving truck. One of the items I picked up was a BRAND NEW portable a/c unit, still in the box!! haha can you believe it? I used it in my garage for a few days, but I gave it away to my friend so he can use it in his garage.

here's the link to the a/c unit. It worked awesome!!

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=15381

Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by HYDROERIC2003
man if i was your dad i would letyou sleep outside in a tent for the nite then let you in the next day to see how good you got it and the you would appreciate the 81 degrees in the house !
geez, eric...you're pretty tough! i would think you'd be easy peasy...

i'm florida guy... miine's set at 80 degrees. it's diffefent when you're paying the bills!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
ha ha !! im just having fun !

Old 08-29-2008, 12:49 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
ya man the electric bill will kill you if you start dropping the temps like that

Old 08-29-2008, 12:56 PM
I looked into a portable AC for a really long time and most of the reviews I found pretty much stated that just about every one was garbage. Living in so cal without an AC is unbearable so I took all my research and picked up this unit from costco:
http://www.royalsovereign.com/produc...1_ARP-5000.asp
The ARP-5012XH. It's big and really noisy. It does a decent job of keeping a 15'x15' room cool, but it's nothing compared to a central ac. Make sure the one you buy has a dual hose system, one from intake and one for exhaust. Dual hose models work better than the single hose from what I've read.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the input fellas

black_sedan, yea bro my dad is **** about the thermostat, he threatened the family by saying hes getting one of those clear covers with the key haha, but he leaves it on 78. if you have any kind of electronic in any room, you know a room can get into 85+ easily.

dragmode, i wish i woulda said something earlier, **** man.

ive heard mixed things about portable ac units, but bottom line is if you use it with central air, it should do the trick with even a 5,000BTU unit.

another question for those who have them installed or seen it. How well does the exhaust fit into the window frame they provide? Another issue i was worried about was bugs/rain or something outside coming inside the house through the window. And can you STILL open the window without screwing something up? During the winter time my dad turns the heat on to 74 (yea hes a funny guy), so i just open the window and use my computer and tv as space heaters.

Once again, thanks fellas!

Old 08-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i've got one called Pinguino PAC C100, it works very well, but has the hose to stick out the window like others have said

Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If your HOA doesn't allow window units (and why should they?) I don't think they're going to allow a vent hose coming out the window either, unless it's in the back where no one can see it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Portable A/C Unit