Orlando Infiniti and oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont understand why the TSB says G35 built before May 2007. Does that not include 03-04?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your car has 87k miles and is out of all warranties. I'm surprised that wasn't the first reason they gave for not replacing your motor. The TSBs aren't a warranty replacement guarantee, but rather instructions to identify known issues and the procedures to fix the problem. If the car is under warranty, then the repair is free. If the car is not under warranty, the TSB can still be used to fix the problem, but the repair is not free.

The reason the TSB doesn't apply to the 03-04 Gs is that the Revup motor is used only in the 05-07 G 6MT coupes and 05-06 G 6MT sedans and were the most likely motors to have oil consuption issues. The all 03-04 G sedans and coupes and all 5AT 05-07 coupes and 5AT 05-06 sedans have the same non-Revup motor.

That doesn't mean non-Revup motors won't have an oil consumption issue, but it means the TSB for the Revup motors does not apply to the non-Revup cars. The TSB instructs the dealer to test for oil consumption on Revup motors and if the test fails, then the engine is to be replaced. There is no TSB on non-Revup motors telling the dealer to replace the motor, which is why ilovex33 is having to go through more hoops. to get his motor replaced.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Sen
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Couldn't have said it any better. Thanks, Sean

Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Your car has 87k miles and is out of all warranties. I'm surprised that wasn't the first reason they gave for not replacing your motor. The TSBs aren't a warranty replacement guarantee, but rather instructions to identify known issues and the procedures to fix the problem. If the car is under warranty, then the repair is free. If the car is not under warranty, the TSB can still be used to fix the problem, but the repair is not free.

The reason the TSB doesn't apply to the 03-04 Gs is that the Revup motor is used only in the 05-07 G 6MT coupes and 05-06 G 6MT sedans and were the most likely motors to have oil consuption issues. The all 03-04 G sedans and coupes and all 5AT 05-07 coupes and 5AT 05-06 sedans have the same non-Revup motor.

That doesn't mean non-Revup motors won't have an oil consumption issue, but it means the TSB for the Revup motors does not apply to the non-Revup cars. The TSB instructs the dealer to test for oil consumption on Revup motors and if the test fails, then the engine is to be replaced. There is no TSB on non-Revup motors telling the dealer to replace the motor, which is why ilovex33 is having to go through more hoops. to get his motor replaced.
the car is under infiniti warranty. I feel if they started to do an oil consumption test per a bulleting specs they should continue to follow it.

if there is no bulleting for the 03-04 don't do a test. To later find out they cant do nothing for you or worst lie and try to cover it up

Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
Thanks Gilley. I figured it like that Which is why I didnt make a big deal. Ill just continue to dump oil

Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
With the extended warranty, that changes things. You'll have to look at the extended warranty contract to see what it covers.

You may have to take it to another dealership (Tampa) and/or call Infiniti consumer services and/or the warranty company (if it isn't Infiniti) for another opinion.

Since you and ilovez33 both have a warranty, the lack of a TSB won't prevent you from getting a new motor. It will just take more effort. Again, you might want to call Infiniti consumer services and ask someone about what is required to get a motor replaced for oil consumption when there is no TSB.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
if the dealer didnt discuss what the point of the oil consumption test was prior to it, you dont really have an argument. you cant assume that because they were doing a test, that you're just going to get a new motor. im not trying to be rude, just playing devils advocate. trying a different dealership is a good idea, but again im not sure what you will get out of it besides wasting your time if its not covered.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Well they did their "Oil Consumption Test" by doing an oil change and Zip Tieing and marking every possible thing that couldve been used to take oil out or put in and told me to come back every 1000 Miles. 1st I came back they said I was burning more than I was supposed to but told me to do another 1000 for safe measure. When I showed up back I was 2 1/2 quarts down which is way more than its supposed to burn. But they contacted Infiniti Headquarters and said they would need to do a tear down of the motor and run compression test and what not on the motor. And if the compression test prove the motor doesn't have a problem even though it burns oil. Ill have to foot the labor bill and I dont have the funds to risk at that point.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:21 AM
^^ that sucks...I know how you feel. I don't think you are going to get anywhere unless your motor breaks from lack of oil unfortunately. I ask them to replace my valve cover which was wet with oil, they wash it down, put dye in. I came back it was still wet with oil and they cant find where the oil was coming from. I did that 3 times still they refuse to replace the valve cover. It seems they would cover every thing else which I was grateful for but would not touch the motor.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM
They have a warranty system that If they go over the quota it looks bad on their dealership. They measure it by how much in big ticket items they had to fix per month. Motors and Trannys are the highest ones so that will definatly try to avoid it as much as they can.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So with the issue of oil consumption, did you talk to a guy by the name of Dave? I known him for awhile now he is the head mechanic @ the Orlando Infiniti. Ill be going in to look at another car on Saturday I can talk to him in private and see what he says or think if you did talk to him or if he did do any work on your car. If that would help you at all.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Lol are you talking about Guyanese Dave? If so thats my boy but he cant do anything about it. Its whatever corporate calls for. Its out of his hands

Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 PM
.....damn this scuks

Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
damn.....

Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM
yes David is the only one I trust with my car he does all the work to my car. Great guy and friend I am sure he know my car failed but he is only doing what his company tells him to do. If it was up to him I would have a new engine by now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Orlando Infiniti and oil consumption