Useless September Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by iamericgee
holy cow lol
Lol If I continued with my Networking degree I would be around the same place.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just recently graduated UCF, with a Pre-Legal Degree. While at UCF, I was enrolled into a COOP/internship class, and UCF helped me find the part-time job that I am currently at. It was difficult but it worked out in my favor because I got credit as well as a paid job. After graduation the Law Office offered me a full-time position and I took it. Sometimes the institute itself has several programs that works with the employer to find you a internship which could land you that full time job after graduating. You should contact the school and see if they have this type of program for your school, most of these programs are funded by your tuition.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah Ricky, I have a finance Degree from UCF and I work in an accounting office as a staff accountant. Work experience is key while you are in school. The only thing my Undergrad degree shows is that I was able to make a commitment to complete a task (college) in a given amount of time (3 years). Besides that its just a piece of paper in a fancy folder, and I rarely use the skills I learned while at UCF in the real business world.

I could not agree more about this economy. The whole system does not work and needs to be reconfigured. The biggest problem is who the F would fix it? I am not sure I trust any of these politicians to do anything right.

Steve Jobs for president?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Sen
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's less about how well you can do your job with or without a degree. There are plenty of well paid, highly successful professionals out there with just an Associates or HS Diploma. But *chances* are, you will get paid a lot more of the course of your working career simply because of the fact that you have a degree.

You may be just as capable in each capacity you find yourself in as you progress in your career, but your salary is based on multiple factors which employers gauge to determine how valuable you are.

If you're up against another guy (or gal) with the same experience, same work performance, same references, but the difference is that he has a degree, who do you think will have a better *chance* of getting the job?

And even if you do get the job over him, who do you think has a better *chance* of being paid more. I believe it's all about stacking the deck. It may be unnecessary in the end if you hit the lottery or you're lucky enough to get paid just as much as someone with a degree. But do you want to take that chance with your entire career and life?

But degrees mean higher earnings. The average annual pay for a worker with a bachelor’s degree was $58,613 in 2008, nearly double the $31,283 earned by workers with a high school diploma only, the bureau said.
That was taken from a NY Times article, talking about findings from the US Census Bureau.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/us...earning&st=cse

Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Sen
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In other words: Get Rich Bishes!

Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 PM
PJ_
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kinda sucks in the market now. unless you have a great hookup, its hard to walk into a management level corporate job without any sort of college degree. if you have the work experience, any degree will do. of course, some degrees make selling your self that much easier. I have my bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and ended up in Technical Marketing & Sales.....not directly in the field I studied in college (Internal Combustion Engines with emphasis in Rotational Dynamics in turbochargers) but I fit well in what I do and it's definately more enjoyable than doing R&D.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:52 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by Sen
It's less about how well you can do your job with or without a degree. There are plenty of well paid, highly successful professionals out there with just an Associates or HS Diploma. But *chances* are, you will get paid a lot more of the course of your working career simply because of the fact that you have a degree.

You may be just as capable in each capacity you find yourself in as you progress in your career, but your salary is based on multiple factors which employers gauge to determine how valuable you are.

If you're up against another guy (or gal) with the same experience, same work performance, same references, but the difference is that he has a degree, who do you think will have a better *chance* of getting the job?

And even if you do get the job over him, who do you think has a better *chance* of being paid more. I believe it's all about stacking the deck. It may be unnecessary in the end if you hit the lottery or you're lucky enough to get paid just as much as someone with a degree. But do you want to take that chance with your entire career and life?

That was taken from a NY Times article, talking about findings from the US Census Bureau.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/us...earning&st=cse
There's no doubt that a degree can help you get your foot in the door, but how well you do at a company (raises/promotions/etc...) depend a lot more on your actual performance at your job.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
There's no doubt that a degree can help you get your foot in the door, but how well you do at a company (raises/promotions/etc...) depend a lot more on your actual performance at your job.
also depends on whether or not the company you work for actually RECOGNIZES your performance.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^True that :/

Old 09-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Lol jobs where?

Here we are fighting like little pawns over the very few low paying jobs that are left while the rich sit back and relax

Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
companies like to see a degree because it shows your commitment to actually getting something done. does it mean you will use it in your job? probably not but it is still a big part of the checklist they look at. if you know what you want to do then i recommend studying something that will help you advance specifically in that field. unless you're pouring out $ into your education for something that will definitely not help you in your career, then i recommend sticking with it. theres no reason not to start job hunting now and getting feedback on your education to tailor it to a specific company though.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
R.i.p education that pays well IN A RECESSION EDUCATION DOESNT PAY OFF just wait it out u might get that $65000 job you always wanted in like 10 yrs lol

Last edited by iamericgee; 09-06-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovez33
Mehhhh......I need a vacation from the economy.....It's like were all watching the country go to hell and can't do anything about it........

I'm debating if continuing to go to school would still benefit me in the end.... I've always been a pretty self-sufficient knowledgable person and don't see that paying more in student loans would actually work out for me.....

Whats the percentage of people getting out of college with a business degree and actually landing a job in the industry within a year?

What i'm really trying to ask is, how many of you after getting your degree actually got the jobs you really wanted? Also, in your honest opinion do you think that after having a few years of experience in the field, did you actually use most of the things you learned in college, or are you still working off learning through real world experience?
I could go on for a while on this but a lot of it has been said. These days in a **** ecomomy and not many good jobs you do need the degree to even get in the door. I got my AA from HCC and have one year in business and marketing at USF but never graduated. Luckily I got in with my company 10 years ago but now days I probably would not have even been hired. Ironically I am one of the top producers in the company. So degree does not = success but you need to get in the door to be successful and now days, in most cases, that means you need a degree.

Originally Posted by iamericgee
drop out the money u spend doesnt add up to the job you will get in the end you will be in debt forever learn a trade u will be better off
In this economy I have to agree with Eric. I would almost prefer to be a AC repair man or something like that right now. Provide and actual service for pay rather than push paper or middleman goods for a fee. The entire financial market is a good example of what I mean and we see how bad that is and not really getting much better.

Originally Posted by ilovez33
As much as I loved computers and networking, when I really thought about it, I couldn't see myself doing it as a career. Now i've been considering getting my business degree, I just don't know if it will benefit me as much as the schools try to make you believe. I've already got a few years of business management under my belt, being a manager for circuit city, Teller supervisor at BofA, and also Me and my parents owning our own contracting company where we used to gross more than $3 Million a year.

I've had alot of real world experience thats brought me to where I am and don't know if finishing and getting my Business degree would benefit me in the end or just leave me in a pool of debt.

Chad, What did you major in?
Well everything is business so that relates to just about anything you would ever do for work. Like I said, I got my AA and was majoring in business and marketing.

Originally Posted by w0ady
companies like to see a degree because it shows your commitment to actually getting something done. does it mean you will use it in your job? probably not but it is still a big part of the checklist they look at. if you know what you want to do then i recommend studying something that will help you advance specifically in that field. unless you're pouring out $ into your education for something that will definitely not help you in your career, then i recommend sticking with it. theres no reason not to start job hunting now and getting feedback on your education to tailor it to a specific company though.
^^This! Who wrote this and what did you do with Lyndon?

The following users liked this post:
ilovez33 (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:34 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
Im working at a tactical force police/swat place out in the middle of no where! Top secret place, everyone is shooting and blowing shirt up all around me .. we have to be with a officer at all times working.

Its crazy here!!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Dont have time to do the numbers but I do wonder if you were to take every dollar spent for college and invest it properly plus whatever wages you start earning at a younger age how that would stack up against dumping all that money in to a degree, paying interest on the loan over the rest of your life, and entering the work force at a much later age.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Useless September Discussion Thread