Italy Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Trip

I’m back from my vacation and wanted to share my trip with you. It was amazing. We were planning on going to Italy but wound up making a quick stop in Paris before arriving in Italy. So our trip brought us to Paris, Italy and Switzerland. Italy was the main focus we went to Rome, Florence, Milan, Naples, Lugano, Lake Maggiore, Verona, Venice, Ravenna, Assisi, Monte Cassino, Sienna, Sorrento, Tuscany, Capri and Pompeii.

Each city is unique in its own way. In Rome we visited the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Saint Peter’s Basilica and the Colosseum. In Florence we saw the tombs of Galileo and Michelangelo in Santa Croce Basilica and the statue of David. After leaving Florence we stopped in Pisa to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa then to Milan before continuing north to the Italian Lakes (Lugano & Lake Maggiore). Milan is known for their unique gothic architecture. We saw Milan’s Gothic Cathedral and the famous La Scala Opera House. Once we arrived at the Italian Lakes we went to Isola Bella which is one of the Borromean Islands. The Borromean family is the wealthiest family in northern Italy. They have a castle that’s used for vacationing in the summer. It’s open for people to take a tour during the day. What a lifestyle this family has. They even own the fishing rights to the largest lake in northern Italy. After visiting the Italian Lakes we went into Switzerland where I had to indulge in Swiss chocolate and check out the Rolex’s. I wound up coming home with 2 Rolex’s (free Rolex spoons when you tour a jewelry store). After Switzerland we went to Venice which was a highlight for me. We took a peaceful gondola ride through parts of Venice before going to St. Marks Square where we visited the Basilica, Doges’ Palace and Bridge of Sighs before watching a glass-blowing demonstration. After Venice we went to Assisi and visited St. Francis’ Basilica. We stayed in Hotel Subasio on top of a mountain next to St. Francis’ Basilica with a great view. Then we left Assisi and headed to Sorrento, famous for their inlayed wood. We watched a demonstration and learned how much time and detail goes into making inlayed wood before continuing to the Isle of Capri. Capri is built into the mountains and provides amazing scenery. Our last day in Italy we went to Pompeii which was another highlight of the trip for me. I learned a lot of building methods we have today came from hundreds of years ago and were used in the city of Pompeii. The city of Pompeii was destroyed by Mount Vesuvius. Volcanic ash rained over Pompeii for 3 days straight but the people of Pompeii didn’t die from the ash. They died from the volcanic gases.

That pretty much sums up the highlights of my trip. I attached some pictures of the different places I saw. The blue and silver car in 2 of the pics is a common car in Europe. The brand is Smart; it’s made by Mercedes and Swatch. Yes Swatch as in the makers of the old swatch watches.
I have a lot of G35Driver reading to catch up on and look forward to getting back on the forum.

Attached Thumbnails Italy Trip-assisi.jpg   Italy Trip-capri.jpg   Italy Trip-colosseum.jpg   Italy Trip-dolphins-owner-venice.jpg   Italy Trip-milan.jpg  

Old 07-17-2005, 03:17 PM
More pics from Italy

Attached Thumbnails Italy Trip-paris-airport.jpg   Italy Trip-pisa.jpg   Italy Trip-pompeii.jpg   Italy Trip-resident-killed-volcano.jpg   Italy Trip-tuscany.jpg  

Old 07-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Some more pics

Attached Thumbnails Italy Trip-smart-car-back.jpg   Italy Trip-smart-car-front.jpg   Italy Trip-trevi-fountain.jpg   Italy Trip-tuscany.jpg   Italy Trip-venice.jpg  

Old 07-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Last one's. To give you an idea of how big everything is, look at the last pic of the Vatican ceiling. See the letters, each letter is 6 feet tall.

Attached Thumbnails Italy Trip-vatican.jpg   Italy Trip-vatican-ceiling.jpg  

Last edited by Gumba35; 07-17-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:03 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you're back (finally!) and that you had such a great trip. Beautiful places. So much history it's unbelieveable no? Did you get to feed some pigeons in Venice? The Swatch believe it or not is a hot car over there, you can even get it Brabus tuned.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes, Italy is beautiful and full of history. The pigeons in St Marks Square (Venice) are a pain. There everywhere! As long as they didn't come near me I was OK.

I saw on their site you can get the Brabus option. They also have a roadster and a few other versions of the Smart car.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by G35Sean
I saw on their site you can get the Brabus option. They also have a roadster and a few other versions of the Smart car.
Checking out the power to weight ratios?

Old 07-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like you had a great trip, i would love to go to the Colosseum

Old 07-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Sean

Awesome pics... Takes me back down the road to a lot of memories having visited many of the places you have been. Of course now I feel like a vacaiton snob as I havent shared any of my pics of Mallorca..........NAH too lazy from moving... Which by the way thanks a million for the help yesterday. I couldnt have done it without you my friend....

Old 07-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by G35Sean
The pigeons in St Marks Square (Venice) are a pain. There everywhere! As long as they didn't come near me I was OK.
One of those things chased after me last time I was there. Almost didn't make it out of the square alive.

It was quite the rush.

Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2005, 06:12 AM
Aaaahhhh yes... Italy. I just had a little taste of Italy the other night while visiting the Olive Garden. Hope you had as much fun as I did.

Pasta ***ioli for life!

Old 07-18-2005, 06:13 AM
LOL, I can't even spell out the darn soup w/o offending gay people everywhere!

Old 07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol

Old 07-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Olive Garden, that's an insult to Italians everywhere. Olive Garden is only good for soup and salad. At least go to Macaroni Grill or Carraba's. Haven't I taught you anything???

Tony-What the hell is that thing?

Old 07-18-2005, 02:34 PM
nice pics!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Italy Trip