TS re-flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
TS re-flash

what are you guys' feelings on an ecu re-flash? I'm relatively interested and i've looked into it some, but what do you have to say?

thanks

Old 09-19-2005, 08:25 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
talk to g8tor20

Old 09-19-2005, 08:50 PM
FGC President
i heard someone say one time that the dealership couldnt read it after you had it done if you go the full reflash but im not sure about that.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:40 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't get the full reflash. I simply got the L-Spec reflash which only raises the rev limiter to 7100, opens throttle to 100% and removes 155mph limit. Of course I only did this b/c I have a Vortech. I would hit the 6800 limiter all too often without it.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by stpdevil
what are you guys' feelings on an ecu re-flash? I'm relatively interested and i've looked into it some, but what do you have to say?

thanks
I have the F-Spec reflash on my 2004 5AT sedan for over a year now, and it made the single biggest positive difference, not only in terms of performance but also in terms of the accelerator drive by wire responsiveness.

I would highly recommend this on the 5AT sedan. My understanding is that the improvements are not as dramatic as on a 6MT sedan. Not sure about the coupe.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Who does the reflash in Central FL? What is the cost?

Old 09-20-2005, 02:37 PM
FGC President
what are all the different specs? what is the differences between them and the price as well?

f?
L?

Old 09-20-2005, 02:47 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Go to www.technosquareinc.com

They do the reflash. You have to send them your ECU and they reflash it the same day they receive it and send it back to you overnight. The Limited Spec (L-spec) is $350 bucks while the full spec (F-Spec) is like $700. The Full spec can mess your timing and fuel maps. I wouldn't suggest doing this unless TS is dynoing the car themselves. I dont trust mail-order reflashes. The L-Spec doesn't mess with those so it is safe for them to do it and send it back to you.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:04 PM
Actually it's $595 + S&H. There really aren't any 'tuning' benefits from the L-Spec reflash. It raises the revlimiter, opens the TB, etc... but does not advance/retard timing when necessary to get you more power. I personally am not interested in this 'mod' especially living in Florida when TS is in CA.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
g8tor20: The Full spec can mess your timing and fuel maps. I wouldn't suggest doing this unless TS is dynoing the car themselves. I dont trust mail-order reflashes.
Originally Posted by neffster
I personally am not interested in this 'mod' especially living in Florida when TS is in CA.
Guys, I don't think your blanket statements are fair. I can see your point if one was going to do extensive NA or FI mods beyond basic intake and exhaust, but for many like me who are not going to go that far, this mod makes alot of sense; and over a year later and a pre and post dyno to ensure A/F ratios were OK, I can tell you I am only happy with this mod.

True, the F-spec adjusts the fuel map and advances the timing, but we're not talking anything radical here, just enhancing the engine's unused capability. Additionally, I listed my intake and exhaust mods when ordering the reflash so TS could fine tune it somewhat to my situation. Yeah it would be nice to do this all while on a dyno, but we're talking about a safe and limited modification, not all out retuning such as with a FI modification which requires alot of dyno tuning time.

BTW Neffster, I don't get why you would not want a mod because the vendor is in CA, yet you went FI (which is a much more significant mod) with a vendor located in NC. Neither is exactly in the neighborhood.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:52 PM
FGC President
Neither is exactly in the neighborhood.
lol

they are both fi so they wouldnt want the full flash.
i dont think i would want to get the full flash either cause i want to go fi. but do think it can help a little if you dont plan on goin fi or extremely na.
so the l would be good for me.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm i'm still indecided. While i would love a vortech sc, i highly doubt that will happen. In fact i think i am about done as far as modding goes (maybe). So if i were to do it i would do the f-spec but i'm sort of wary about them changing things while they dont have a dyno to see what they are doing and i dont really like the idea of taking the ecu out of my car and shipping it off. In any case i still have more thinking to do. Thanks for all the info.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Miami,

With all due respect, this mod is a HUGE risk and only someone who hasn't fully researched it (IMO) would send their ECU out to have it reflashed. There have been countless people on my350z.com who have done this reflash many times and most of the time the reflash has been shipped back all screwed up. A/F's that are OFF THE CHART, timing was advanced instead of retarded in the wrong places! One guy with a Z in SFL went through 4 reflashes before he had a 5th flash back to the stock map. He lost 100% of his money, down time for several weeks, dyno money for 4 different pulls to verify his A/F and all of the shipping charges!

Kevin Pierson (club sponsor) had a couple of flashes and he believes that his last extremely sucky flash ultimately led to him losing compression in his engine.

Doug Stewart (owner/operator CrawfordZCar and club sponsor) had 8, that's right, 8 reflashes to get his Z 'tuned'. It got so bad that he went out and bought a 2nd ECU just because he couldn't handle the down time.

Also, many high hp/tq FI cars on my350z.com have found that the full reflash actually caused problems with their FI set up. The standard belief now seems to be that NO ONE with FI recommends a full reflash (unless you go with the Turbonetix Single Turbo and get a 'special' TN reflash). BTW, I have gone on record G35driver.com's FI forum and on my350z.com FI forum recommending against mail order tuning.

Mail order tuning is simply BS! I drove my car to NC to have THE CAR TUNED. I didn't mail my ECU or Split Second Box to NC to have it tuned based on a list of mods I had, while my car sat in Florida. There is a huge difference between these two techniques. One way you tune the car (I had 27 dyno pulls before they got my tune right), the other way you flash an ECU and keep your fingers crossed.

If you personally did this mod and it worked out well for you, GREAT. You are in the minority from the posts I've read. Remember, at one time I really wanted to get this mod. I researched and researched and was super disappointed at what I found. It seems as if you live in CA and have access to TS, they can get a good tune on your G because they can try a flash, and try another and another until they get it right. MOST, like 75%+, of the people who praise this mod live in CA. Just check the posters profile.

Last edited by neffster; 09-21-2005 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Well, I have the full Crawford Package plus other bolt-ons. I had TS flash my ECU to the "Crawford" flash developed jointly by Crawford and TS. My coupe (an '03 6MT) dynos well - Close to 249HP and feels fantastic. I sent my ECU off on a Friday morning, and had it back the next Tuesday morning. This was about a year ago.

I'm happy I did this. I feel I have no downside. The mid range and high end feel strong, and I have no more issue with the pesky rev limiter.

Lou

Old 09-21-2005, 11:07 AM
I had mine flashed too because it is a good "base" to start from. This in conjunction with piggybacks is a good alternative. I got the Full flash to take care of the aggressive stock timing up top.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TS re-flash