TS re-flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had mine flashed too because it is a good "base" to start from. This in conjunction with piggybacks is a good alternative. I got the Full flash to take care of the aggressive stock timing up top. The main reason I did it was because I didn't want to use the emanage's timing because I would have to lose the J&S and I wanted that to control knock.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:16 AM
FGC's official flip flopper
Originally Posted by djniknala
I had mine flashed too because it is a good "base" to start from. This in conjunction with piggybacks is a good alternative. I got the Full flash to take care of the aggressive stock timing up top.
Originally Posted by djniknala
I had mine flashed too because it is a good "base" to start from. This in conjunction with piggybacks is a good alternative. I got the Full flash to take care of the aggressive stock timing up top. The main reason I did it was because I didn't want to use the emanage's timing because I would have to lose the J&S and I wanted that to control knock.

Is it possible to have a stutter problem while typing?

Old 09-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake! Please don't ban me!
Originally Posted by g8tor20
Is it possible to have a stutter problem while typing?

Old 09-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by neffster
Miami,

With all due respect, this mod is a HUGE risk and only someone who hasn't fully researched it (IMO) would send their ECU out to have it reflashed.
I fully researched this mod on both G and Z forums, emailed people who had it done, and was fully aware of the negative posts. My conclusions were: a) the F-spec is not a good idea with FI because of dyno tuning requirements; b) most of the problems on NA vehicles were either due to early versions of the maps which should not have been sold, or the NA vehicles had more mods than I did, which made "tuning" more necessary but impossible if you don't live in CA; and c) this was a good mod for my particular application.

There have been countless people on my350z.com who have done this reflash many times and most of the time the reflash has been shipped back all screwed up. A/F's that are OFF THE CHART, timing was advanced instead of retarded in the wrong places! One guy with a Z in SFL went through 4 reflashes before he had a 5th flash back to the stock map. He lost 100% of his money, down time for several weeks, dyno money for 4 different pulls to verify his A/F and all of the shipping charges!

Kevin Pierson (club sponsor) had a couple of flashes and he believes that his last extremely sucky flash ultimately led to him losing compression in his engine.

Doug Stewart (owner/operator CrawfordZCar and club sponsor) had 8, that's right, 8 reflashes to get his Z 'tuned'. It got so bad that he went out and bought a 2nd ECU just because he couldn't handle the down time.
I was aware of much of this: see above. Again, I think TS released some of their product too soon.

Also, many high hp/tq FI cars on my350z.com have found that the full reflash actually caused problems with their FI set up. The standard belief now seems to be that NO ONE with FI recommends a full reflash (unless you go with the Turbonetix Single Turbo and get a 'special' TN reflash).
Agree 100%.

Mail order tuning is simply BS! I drove my car to NC to have THE CAR TUNED. I didn't mail my ECU or Split Second Box to NC to have it tuned based on a list of mods I had, while my car sat in Florida. There is a huge difference between these two techniques. One way you tune the car (I had 27 dyno pulls before they got my tune right), the other way you flash an ECU and keep your fingers crossed.
You did not articulate this "difference" (which I agree with BTW) in your post; you merely stated that you would not do a mod based on geographical distance, and I found this hypocritical since your FI was done in NC.

If you personally did this mod and it worked out well for you, GREAT. You are in the minority from the posts I've read. Remember, at one time I really wanted to get this mod. I researched and researched and was super disappointed at what I found. It seems as if you live in CA and have access to TS, they can get a good tune on your G because they can try a flash, and try another and another until they get it right. MOST, like 75%+, of the people who praise this mod live in CA. Just check the posters profile.
I agree that the optimum scenario is to do this mod in CA, but we don't always have accesses to the resources we want. You went to NC to get your car FI and dyno tuned, which I feel is just as "risky" as sending my ECU to CA because if you have post-install/tune problems you won't be able to easily go back to NC.

I guess the real solution is for a bunch of us to open up our own G/Z tuner shop, secure the expertise needed, and start a business!!!!