My 2k6 Projector Headlight Installation - Pictures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:57 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow My 2k6 Projector Headlight Installation - Pictures

Some of you know I installed a set of 2006 G35 projector headlights a little while ago. It's a pretty easy installation and provides a great improvement over the older Xenon reflectors. The new lights are bi-directional Xenons. That means that the top Xenon bulb provides the normal driving light and opens a shroud to also provide the high-beam lights. Your normal driving lights and your bright lights are now both Xenon.

Here's a picture of the new lights on my dining room table where I put the bulbs in. Note that the 2k5 bulbs can be modified for use in the 2k6 headlight housings, but I bought new bulbs because I specifically wanted Philips Ultinon 6000k.

Here are a couple of pictures with the front end off. Taking the front end off is pretty easy, there are several DIY's in the lighting section of G35driver.

I put some 3m Painters Tape on the front fender to avoid scratches.

Next is the hardest part of the conversion: removing the headlight assembly from the wiring harness. I had a devil of a time removing this clip. The problem is that you can't lift the headlight out far enough to see the harness clip. It is very difficult to see what to push to release the clip. The clip is underneath the headlight housing and the button your press to release the clip is on the bottom of that clip.

I removed the driver's side headlight by holding a mirror with my left hand, putting a flashlight in my mouth, holding the headlight with my left forearm, and working a small screwdriver with my right hand on the clip. The right headlight was even tighter than the left, so I used Gilley's trick of going through the fenderwell to remove the clip. I also clipped a wire-tie to make more room during the installation.

Here's a picture of my car just after I installed the new headlights.

The next week I had my oil changed at Lokey and bought a set of Clear Corners from John Oliva. I'm still not sure if I like them better than the amber corners on a Laser Red G35, but they're growing on me.

I think this is a great mod. It's easy enough for one person to do alone and it makes a major improvement in the lighting system of the G35. The new projectors are much brighter than the original reflectors and make quite a difference on the highway.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Looks great. I still need to get around to ordering some as well. I can't stand driving at night with the older lights.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:25 PM
FGC General Member
just wanted to know where you got them and how much....they look amazing, and I would stick with the clear corners.....beautiful car...nice job

Old 04-09-2006, 05:38 PM
THE BATMOBILE
such an improvment........im so jealous........good work....clean pics

Old 04-09-2006, 05:59 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats JB, projectors make all the difference in the world don't they? Do you have any pics with the 6K bulbs on? And can one adjust the beam manually so that they aren't aimed too high or too low?

Old 04-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You finally broke down and joined the clear corners club.

I like the clear corners better (and the projectors) on your car as well as mine.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:02 PM
_jb
Photographer

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I got these headlights through a connection with Daniel on another web forum. I'm sure they are still selling them, but I'm not sure what the latest price is. I have read that the price has gone back up on them in the last few weeks. I haven't checked, because I already have them.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:08 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Finiti35
Congrats JB, projectors make all the difference in the world don't they? Do you have any pics with the 6K bulbs on? And can one adjust the beam manually so that they aren't aimed too high or too low?
They are really a great mod. It makes it much more fun to drive at night.

I don't have any night pictures, but if I take some, I'll post them.

There is a small adjusting nut on the back of the housing that raises and lowers the headlight modules.

Most of the headlights come adjusted correctly from the factory. At least it's what I assume is correct. The left headlight is a bit lower than the right headlight. That would be to lower the beam for oncoming drivers. Most people that have installed them have left them aligned that way. Mine are that way, and I didn't readjust them. I might if I lower my car.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:15 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Gilley
You finally broke down and joined the clear corners club.
Yea, I have to admit it. I like them because they are different, but I like the amber corners better because I think they match the LR better. I'm still not totally decided.

Originally Posted by Gilley
I like the clear corners better (and the projectors) on your car as well as mine.
Thanks.

The projectors are a great mod. Did I mention that before?

They look great and the difference they make after dark is phenominal. They really brighten things up. It makes a greater difference than I can describe here.

Thanks again for your help with that durn clip...

Old 04-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they are great but they are just too much money for such a small mod. i think im just gonna get the amber removed in my headlights and call it a day

Old 04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Looks great... what bulbs did you go with for the city & signal?

Old 04-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Have any pics of the fogs at night?

Old 04-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice detailed write-up

Old 04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
_jb
Photographer

I bought PIAA Xtreme White Plus (168) bulbs for the city lights. I originally bought a set of PIAAs for the turn signals, but they didn't fit correctly. I ended up buying a set of turn signal bulbs for a 2006 G35 Coupe from Lokey. If I had it to do over again, I would use the stock Infiniti bulbs for the (useless) city light and the turn signals.

Here's a picture I just took of the fog lights. They actually seem a bit more yellow than they show up in this photo. I didn't want to start jacking the colors around to make it "look" right, so this is pretty much the way the picture came out of the camera..

I opted for a fog light that would be useful in the rain or fog. Some people get a bulb to match their main light, but that didn't make much sense to me. The fogs provide quite a bit of extra light at a close range.

Here's a shot of the low beams against my garage doors. I probably should have backed my car up a bit farther, but my driveway starts to slope. You can see that the left side is lower than the right side.

Here's the same shot with the high beams on. If someone is driving towards you at night with their brights on... just flash these babies once or twice... they always turn their brights off.

I must admit that I'm surprised that some people think this mod is too expensive. Most people pay more for one wheel than a set of these headlights cost.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:28 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by _jb
Here's a picture I just took of the fog lights. They actually seem a bit more yellow than they show up in this photo. I didn't want to start jacking the colors around to make it "look" right, so this is pretty much the way the picture came out of the camera..
That pic came out so nice without you "jacking" the colors? No saturating the blue or anything? You camera is so amazing *gulp*

I must admit that I'm surprised that some people think this mod is too expensive. Most people pay more for one wheel than a set of these headlights cost.
I wholeheartedly agree even though I'm yet to ride in a G with the '06 projectors at night... if I had to keep one option in my car and give up everything else, I'd keep my projectors. Even during the day when they're off they look so much better when you look at your car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2k6 Projector Headlight Installation - Pictures