Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

My VRT/JWT TT G35 in Sport Compact Car Magazine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Ed your writing never ceases to make me nod and smile, (and for the umpteenth time......great post.) Right on target "As usuall" Thanks.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:27 PM
If I could know half as much as Sharif and drive half as well as you, I would be a happy man. In the meantime, I keep clawing forward to get closer to both marks.
Those who can, DO.
Those who can't, TEACH.
And those who can't teach, teach PE!!

I will say this, however. It is time for VRT to break loose with some of these special handling parts of theirs and come to market with them. Maybe the world doesn't need yet another coilover, sway bar or front upper control arm and all they need is just another amalgam of off the shelf parts. But with your front STB, the special coilover springs and dampers, the UCA, and some of that other stuff you keep fussing with, you have some pretty slick stuff that a lot of people could use even if they do not go FI. You have some answers to questions that a lot of people keep asking. And it is not "oh, yeah, we have one of those to bolt on". It is, we have tried everything in our search for the best and here it is...or we were not satisfied with the best that the rest of the market had, so we came up with something that we have proven to ourselves on the track and the street is better, and that is what you can have from us. I bet some folks would like that, especially if they did not have to first drop $20k on a built motor and TT kit just to get it.
Just an idea.

Cheers.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Eagle1
If I could know half as much as Sharif and drive half as well as you, I would be a happy man. In the meantime, I keep clawing forward to get closer to both marks.
Those who can, DO.
Those who can't, TEACH.
And those who can't teach, teach PE!!

I will say this, however. It is time for VRT to break loose with some of these special handling parts of theirs and come to market with them. Maybe the world doesn't need yet another coilover, sway bar or front upper control arm and all they need is just another amalgam of off the shelf parts. But with your front STB, the special coilover springs and dampers, the UCA, and some of that other stuff you keep fussing with, you have some pretty slick stuff that a lot of people could use even if they do not go FI. You have some answers to questions that a lot of people keep asking. And it is not "oh, yeah, we have one of those to bolt on". It is, we have tried everything in our search for the best and here it is...or we were not satisfied with the best that the rest of the market had, so we came up with something that we have proven to ourselves on the track and the street is better, and that is what you can have from us. I bet some folks would like that, especially if they did not have to first drop $20k on a built motor and TT kit just to get it.
Just an idea.

Cheers.

Great idea, (as always) As you already know, I am already working on it. Talk to you soon.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked out a VRT / Jim Wolf TT Z recently. It's impressive. Well done guys!

Old 06-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Between Ed, VRT, and JWT, I have learned an incredible amount about my car, racing, car setup, and everything else. 95% of the things I have done to my car are because of these people, and 100% of the things I will do to my car in the future will be because of these people. It has come to the point where I don't want to change my oil without a call to one of these guys first to make sure I use the right stuff and do it the right way lol.

Scott's knowledge of race car prep is helping me come up with a solid solution to my car's handling problems. Tomorrow a package should arrive on my doorstep with custom springs designed to work with my current JIC coilovers to hopefully aleviate my current problem of the JICs being entirely too stiff. Scott told me from the first time he got in the drivers seat that my current setup would be no good, and he couldn't be more dead on. He went above and beyond to test the actual spring rates of the JIC springs, stock springs, Eibach springs, Tien springs, and any other ones he could get his hands on. From there he decided on a spring rate for my custom springs and I am very anxious to try them out. He even already has a back up plan in case these still aren't the best solution. Without his help, I would be buying coilover after coilover, trying to find the best one for my car. So thanks Scott for saving me tons of money lol.

Ed, you are my research tool lol. You and I are in the same boat when it comes to engine parts and when you make a decision to buy something, you already know everything about that part, how it works, and why it would work for your application. I have learned a ton from your build and continue to try and stay one step behind you. My Z will be making it down to VRT soon for the "Eagle1 Treatment" lol. Things I should have done in the first place, but didn't do enough research before hand so I have to go back and do it after the fact.

Now, I am not going to lie, I will probably never understand the language that comes out of Jim Wolf and Clark's mouths when it comes to ECU tuning and the extrememly techincal aspects of what they know and love. It would take me years to amass the knowledge to even grasp the concept of the things they talk about. Therefore, I am more than happy that VRT works so closely with them. It doesn't get any better than Jim and Clark when it comes to tuning your car and I am so greatfull that through VRT, I have the opportunity to have Jim and Clark personally tune my car whenever it is needed. The attention to detail, work ethic, and pride that comes from their tunes is un-matched. I still can't believe that they spent three full days doing the initial tune on my car.

It doesn't get much better than the team of guys that I am blessed to have involved with my car. Between Scott, Mike, Mark, Ed, Jim, and Clark the expertise for mechanics, driving, car setup, tuning, and everything else you could ask for is at your fingertips. The end result...a car that easily out performs its driver 99% of the time. Even though as a driver, I can only tap into at most 70% of my cars capabilities, I know that in the hands of somebody like Scott, it can and will use 100% of every part's potential. Its one thing to spend as much money as I have on my car, but its another thing to know that I am getting every penny out of every part I have on there because of the build quality, tune, and setup. Oh, and I can't forget about this...Scott and Mike are at a lot of the track events that I go to, and when they are there, its like having my own pit crew. If there is a problem, they know what it is and how to fix it. If they don't know, then Mark or Jim or Clark or whoever would know is only a phone call away. So between whole crew, the only thing seperating me from Dale Earnhard Jr. is a million dollar contract .

Last edited by SinCity350Z; 06-04-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Last time I saw you, you were screaming through 23 turns at Spring Mountain and keeping it on the pavement.
Last time I saw Dale Jr. was at Sears Point Infineon and he put the rear of his Corvette into the wall coming out of the esses of Turn 8 and burned the car (and his throat) when the fuel cell ruptured and filled the cabin with raw fuel that then caught fire. (moral of that story...always wear your balaclava!)
You're pretty good Mike. Keep the day job that makes the money to buy your rocket toy, because driving is a poor gypsy man's life for almost all who do it. But then enjoy your life with safe and trained track skills like you do. It does not get much better than that.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks Ed, but I still have much to learn. I am pretty fearless so thats a good start, but my skills are in definate need of some sharpening. I have ordered a few books to read on car setup and driving and I will probably sign up in some beginner groups for upcoming HPDEs to get different points of view and tips from instructors. I will also hold Scott at gunpoint next time we cross paths and have him drive my car and give me some pointers. I think I may try some different events like drifting and get back into autocross more to help sharpen my skills and broaden my talent base. Of course, I am still going to try and hit as many different tracks that I haven't experienced yet as well.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:41 PM
That all sounds pretty well thought out.
Might be hard to keep Scott at gunpoint, he is a blackbelt, young, strong and I suspect rather gristly. If you want I can sneak up behind and kick him in the knee to bring him down, then leave the rest to you.

Skip Barber has a Car Control Clinic that they teach which is pretty good. Lots of taking different cars to the edge and spinning them and bringing them back under control. A whole day of whipping different cars around, and a great "driver tune up" session. Might be worth looking into as well.

I like the process of trying different tracks, it really is a good way to enlarge your skills. But I also love going back a second and third time and working at the track...and find that lap times really come down as your familiarity with the interaction of the track and your car's capabilities become better known to you, and you then can start to push them and develop your skills with the challenges. You really need to know the track to go fast fast fast. It is great fun to return to a track and better your time by several seconds over the last time!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Agreed. I will do Spring Mountain, Buttonwillow, Cal Speedway, and Willow Springs as often as I can. I don't know how often I can make the trek to Laguna Seca or Sears Point though. To me, I feel I need to learn more about basic driving skills before I really feel comfortable enough to really push the limits of this car trying to shave fractions of a second off of my fastest time. I think that 2007 will be my year to really focus on getting better at driving. I am going to ditch the sponsors along with the responsibility that comes with them so I don't feel like I have to be at larger profile car shows and events like that. This will let me focus on doing my own thing instead of doing things to keep my sponsors happy. After all, I spent a lot of money to get my car to be what it is. I think its time I learn how to get my money's worth out of it.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 PM
I agree with your comment about sponsors. The money is teeny and the obligations large. I only have two, and I chose them, rather than the other way around, because I used their product (wheel rim, tires) because I thought they were the best for my application, not because they gave me anything, because they did not. In addition, I had a personal relationship with them. The wheel company exec had a son who played with mine on their schoolboy and high school football teams, and the tire exec was a partner of mine in law practice before he went in house with the company! They were and are both people that I know and believe in. Period, end of story.

I run the car when I want, where I want, and as I want. It was after all my money that built it.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:47 AM
congrats on the article, i just read it today. very nice, but ur engine bay looked pretty dirty. lol

Old 06-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by aleok
congrats on the article, i just read it today. very nice, but ur engine bay looked pretty dirty. lol
Yep, they took the pictures at the track after running all morning. That happens when you do that! I actually had to run around the front of the car with bug and tar remover while they were setting up the camera to take off all the black stripes from the rubber marbles that were kicking up in front of the car and smacking the hood, bumper and windshield, as well as the rear view mirrors and the roof top. Otherwise the outside would have looked like garbage too. Some of those little bugs really imbed themselves into the car when you whack them at 130 + mph as well.

Oh well, that is the price you pay on the looks side when you drive it the way it is built to go. She becomes a little less "demure princess" and a bit more "bitch with an attitude".
But, that is what I want.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:52 AM
Nice. Phat ride. Great info.

I have been on the VRT website almost on a daily basis. I have been surfing the web doing as much research as possible about the JWT TT setup and TT in general in relation to VQ35DE. I always almost request a quote from VRT for internals w the JWT TT kit but I always back out after entering all of my info in because I know that if it is within range, I will just drive down the next chance I get to drop the car off. That is what I am afraid of.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:09 AM
congrats, just read the magazine today.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Disco_Monkey
Nice. Phat ride. Great info.

I have been on the VRT website almost on a daily basis. I have been surfing the web doing as much research as possible about the JWT TT setup and TT in general in relation to VQ35DE. I always almost request a quote from VRT for internals w the JWT TT kit but I always back out after entering all of my info in because I know that if it is within range, I will just drive down the next chance I get to drop the car off. That is what I am afraid of.
Hahahaha, nothin' to be afraid of. PM Sent

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My VRT/JWT TT G35 in Sport Compact Car Magazine