Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

best super charger out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FI is the best bet for good power, more power than little mods here and there, and safer than NOS.
You could get into your engine with a head/cam swap, but it will not give you as much as FI.
Your tune if VERY important as well as the amount of boost (PSI) that you will run. You will need to do some research on safe boost levels, as well as what upgrades will improve longivity of the engine.
Typically if you do not push her too hard and run a safe tune/boost level; she will be fine for as long as you have the car.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
so do u get more longevity w/ a sc or t and im guessing tt isnt going to give me that much life out of it, but im looking to keep it for a while

So SC or T for the life of the car?

And w/ ur experience do u feel that the g needs more acc or more top end rpm speed? because that will also tell me whether i want sc or t.

thanx again

Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by space108th
so do u get more longevity w/ a sc or t and im guessing tt isnt going to give me that much life out of it, but im looking to keep it for a while

So SC or T for the life of the car?

And w/ ur experience do u feel that the g needs more acc or more top end rpm speed? because that will also tell me whether i want sc or t.

thanx again
I like acceleration b/c where do you acutally use top end, although more top end is there over stock anyways? Also keep in mind a Turbo setup will be more power (even top end), but way more plumbing and expensive as well. It can be tuned to less power and still be reliable, just more expensive.
The Roots style is the one that will sit on top of the plenum/intake. The stillen (roots) has decent instant power (more than enough for your street needs), and still pretty decent top end. From what I hear on these cars, going over 400rwhp will take more money to start beefing up enigne internals. The only problem I see is price, that the stage 2 stillen is good for 95hp and is still $5200 without an intercooler. At least it gets you close to the 400hp flywhwheel mark, even over with better exhuast setup. I would buy the intercooler though to be safe. Remember that charging air creates heat, and engine heat is bad.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stillen stage 2 is with an intercooler. The roots does not charge air, it blows it. Sometimes very hot air.

If you want cheap turn key forced induction look for a second hand Stillen system. Keep it within it's designed tune and all should be good.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes the Stillen stage 1 is the only one without an intercooler. That is not a good idea. It heat soaks too fast.

The Stillen is a great street system. You are not going to get more than ~350-360whp out of it without big $$$ which is not worth it. The Vortech/Turbonetics are great kits and prob the best bang for the buck. I just don't like the lag. A TT is really not worth all the money unless you build your engine because you are not even reaching it's potential.

If you are going for more than 380-400whp you need to build your internals. I know there are lots of G/Z's out there making more but they seem to be blowing up more and more each day. Here is the latest: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...highlight=blew And this guy made a career out of bashing the Stillen.

If I had the choice and did not want to build my internals I would get a Stillen or Vortech. The Stillen is easy to install, I did mine myself. There are a couple of used ones for sale around here and My350Z right now.

Last edited by ttrank; 06-20-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:36 PM
kool thanx for all the help and info. I have learned so much from everyone and i guess the stillen sc is what im probably going to go for.

sory im newb but i will have to go stage 1 then stage 2/intercooloer, how much will that come out to? estatimate.

Im probably going to do ztube+K&N drop filter, then put this SC in. And thats probably all the engine work im going to do.

But w/ the SC do i need knew pullies? thats what i hear from friends but they could be dumb i just want to hear it from u guys cause u guys actually know this car.

Well thanx again for all the help. Take care

Old 06-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Grocery getter

No, don't change your pullies. Underdrive ones will not work well with the SC, the lightened ones can be used but don't do much.

I would save up and go with the IC Stillen because to add the IC, you have to take off the blower and send it back in to them. Big pain... Just keep your eye out for a used one. Right now there is at least one for sale on my 350Z for $3k.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by ttrank
I know there are lots of G/Z's out there making more but they seem to be blowing up more and more each day. Here is the latest: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...highlight=blew And this guy made a career out of bashing the Stillen.
WOW, I remember this guy all the time saying stuff about the stillen and how you can get more just out of tuning your car still being N/A. Now he blew it, wow. That sucks. I went with Stillen either way and love the system. I was only able to go with stage 1 but am already saving up my pennies for stage 2.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
No, don't change your pullies. Underdrive ones will not work well with the SC, the lightened ones can be used but don't do much.

I would save up and go with the IC Stillen because to add the IC, you have to take off the blower and send it back in to them. Big pain... Just keep your eye out for a used one. Right now there is at least one for sale on my 350Z for $3k.
you do not have to send the blower back to stillen.the stage 2 kit does make you take the blower off too install the heat exchanger but thats it.i would highly recomend going with the stage 2 first.i went with the stage 1 for 17,000 miles but id still say go for stage 2 first.im now at stage 4 and omg nothing like the stage 1,2,or 3.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Yes the Stillen stage 1 is the only one without an intercooler. That is not a good idea. It heat soaks too fast.

The Stillen is a great street system. You are not going to get more than ~350-360whp out of it without big $$$ which is not worth it. The Vortech/Turbonetics are great kits and prob the best bang for the buck. I just don't like the lag. A TT is really not worth all the money unless you build your engine because you are not even reaching it's potential.

If you are going for more than 380-400whp you need to build your internals. I know there are lots of G/Z's out there making more but they seem to be blowing up more and more each day. Here is the latest: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...highlight=blew And this guy made a career out of bashing the Stillen.

If I had the choice and did not want to build my internals I would get a Stillen or Vortech. The Stillen is easy to install, I did mine myself. There are a couple of used ones for sale around here and My350Z right now.
there is one thing a little different about albertos z,he is a good buddy of mine,and he drove his car like he stole it.he,s run 11.9,s 5 times and a ton of 12.0,s he pounded the **** out of that car.if you want a good daily driver just go conservative on the tune and dont pound it all the time.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:02 PM
I have been heavily researching this topic as to what supercharger/turbocharger is best for my 2005 350Z.

First off:

I eliminated the Turbonetics because it is not CARB.

Procharger is 40 state legal
Vortech and Stillen stage 2 are 50 state legal.

I next eliminated the Stillen, I can't see changing my hood at added expense when I don't like their aftermarket hoods.

So, Vortech or Procharger.

I think the best kit is the Vortech combined with an AAM oil pan spacer (so you don't tap your stock pan) and a Wiring harness adapter (so you don't have to spice your stock wiring).
The Vortech comes with safe tuning out of the box and with the above additions can easily be put back to stock.

Total cost = $5000 + installation = $6000.

The Procharger is very tempting, but lack of any ECU tuning out of the box to pull timing under boost scares me.
The Procharger is an easier install and has a better belt system.
Cost is $4629 + install and tuning the FMU = $5700-$6000.

Most likely if I go FI it will be the Vortech system as shown above plus an aftermarket higher quality GATES belt.

Hope this helps,

Howard

Old 06-21-2006, 09:30 PM
w/ this upgrade there is a need of a change of hood, because i guess it sets higher... What hoods do u guys recommend and where to get them. thanx again

Old 06-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Eagle1
Something I have yet to see applied to this car is the Lysholm twin screw or Whipple type supercharger. This type of lobed or "mated" twin screw supercharger produces Roots type positive displacement blower power down low and yet keeps on pouring out the power up the rpm band like a centrifugal. It creates a huge "area under the curve" of additional power and performance. Obviously it takes a whole different fuel management system and I just have not seen one, but it is a great application for racing and I would think the street. They are not uncommon on Detroit motors. Has anybody looked into this application, because it would seem to be far and away the most efficient and competitive supercharger application? Why is nobody exploring this option?
I was wondering the same thing last month and emailed Whipple in Fresno, CA telling them that if they developed a kit for the G, they would sell a ton of them. They responded that they would look into it. Haven't heard anything since. They make awesome kits for the Mustangs. 450HP+ on pump gas.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1208

Last edited by ballisticus; 06-21-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sentry65
for 3-4 g's, big hp numbers aren't gonna happen
Correct.

Just to make sure you should have around 6.5 K ready to spend, although youll most likely in end up spending around the mid to high 5k's

Old 06-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by superchargedg
you do not have to send the blower back to stillen.the stage 2 kit does make you take the blower off too install the heat exchanger but thats it.
Oh, my bad. Someone at Stillen told me you had to send it back in to them. How do you get the holes in the blower/upper plenum for the water hoses? Are they just capped or something?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best super charger out?