Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

FI for the 2006 6mt Rev-up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FI for the 2006 6mt Rev-up

I have the mod bug bad.....it seems that I am going to have to go FI.

The question now is what system? I will be happy to make 350whp and 330 torque and I want to keep stock internals, minimize spending, and maximize engine longevity. I have no track or dragstrip aspirations, I just want more reliable power for my daily driver.

I am leaning towards a SC system or possibly a ST. I absolutely am not interested in a TT.

I like the Stillen stage 1, especially the price but I do not want to replace my hood. Therefore the Vortech and API Prochargers are my options. So far I am leaning towards the Vortech.

The APS and Turbonetics S turboes are options although I prefer the simplicity of the SC. Also, I want to minimize any uneccesary modifications from what I already have.

Speaking of which, I am getting my Fast Intentions exhast and test pipes this week. They should work w/ the SC, yes? Also, I am probably not going w/ the EU for engine management, probably the brand new HKS F-Con IS which is a scaled down version of the V-pro for half the price.

The big question is, what will work w/ my 06 Rev-up 6mt? The Vortech site only lists their product for th 03-04 models. Why wouldn't they make SC for newer cars? Should only older cars get FI? Doesn't make busines sense.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-09-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
If you going with a supercharger lay off the test pipes unless you are going to run alot of boost, 15psi+

Other then that if you want something that will give you 330bhp out of the box with minimal mods, get a greddy kit and get a return fuel system and then some good engine managment and tuning.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Why no test pipes? Do I want the restriction of cats? Also, isn't the Greddy a turbo?

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-09-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Yes the greddy kit is a turbo kit.

You want some restriction with a supercharger setup unless you are running alot of boost.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Won't I need to get rid of my whole brand new exhaust system for a turbo?

Not an option. That is partly why I want a supercharger. I know of others running test pipes at 9 lbs boost. If I ran less boost, should I just put my stock cats and pipes back?

In any event, the first question is will any supercharger fitr the Rev-up? I think the Stillen will but not the Vortech (my preference). Not sure about the Procharger. Any insight?

Old 07-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Premier Member

Why does it matter if ur gonna run test pipes on a Superchargered motor... Its not like the supercharger has to spool up... It's not turbo where u need the presure to build up the boost quicker... Supercharger runs off the belt, not the exhaust fumes... I would think u would want test pipes to get the exhaust fumes out... But I'm not a mechanic... Also I'm interested in what SC will work for the 06's... I got an 06 too...

Old 07-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Norcal,

I think the Stillen will work, but of course you will need a new hood ($850) which offsets the good price of the Stillen. The Stillin will give a legit 65 wheel hp, which (along w/ my mods, Emanagement and a good tune) will put me at my goal of 350. I really don't want to change my hood, however.

The Vortech is probably my best choice, but the Vortech isn't made for Rev-ups. I need to talk to SGP to see if it can be adapted.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by norcal_chan96
Why does it matter if ur gonna run test pipes on a Superchargered motor... Its not like the supercharger has to spool up... It's not turbo where u need the presure to build up the boost quicker... Supercharger runs off the belt, not the exhaust fumes... I would think u would want test pipes to get the exhaust fumes out... But I'm not a mechanic... Also I'm interested in what SC will work for the 06's... I got an 06 too...
Backpressure in an exhaust does not make a turbo spool up faster, it makes it spool slower.

Yes a supercharger runs off a belt and its speed is dependent on RPM. At any given RPM it can only put out so much air. If you get test pipes you are evacuating the exhaust gasses much faster and since the stock cams have some overlap for scavenging( or i asume they do) you end up letting some of the fresh intake charge go out with the exhaust and you dont get as much packed in the cylinder. If i remember correctly. Its been awhile since I have delt with supercharger systems.

An indication of this is that if you have your normal exhaust and you then switch to test pipes with a supercharger, your peak boost will lower since you are moving the air through the engine system with less resistence.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:59 PM
You will loose some low end power and your peak boost will lower, thats why i say dont run test pipes unless you are running higher boost. I would say that around 14psi+ test pipes would be benificial. Just a guestimate though for our cars.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
aaaRRRGGGGG!!!!

So many people don't get it! Boost does not equal power!!!! boost is only a measure of pressure in the intake manifold. More boost doesn't mean more power.

put headers and test pipes on a supercharged car and it will make more power than one with stock parts, but your boost numbers will be lower (given the same rpm and pulley size!)

Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I never said boost equals power, i just said it would lower. Most people freak out when they put test pipes on and this happens so i was just stating the fact.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, it looks like the SC question may be mute, since Mark at SGP racing is talking me into going w/ the Greddy TT. At low boost it is the best and safest system for my car. of course it is expensive, but if he gives me a good deal I will get it.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I have the mod bug bad.....it seems that I am going to have to go FI.

The question now is what system? I will be happy to make 350whp and 330 torque and I want to keep stock internals, minimize spending, and maximize engine longevity. I have no track or dragstrip aspirations, I just want more reliable power for my daily driver.

I am leaning towards a SC system or possibly a ST. I absolutely am not interested in a TT.

I like the Stillen stage 1, especially the price but I do not want to replace my hood. Therefore the Vortech and API Prochargers are my options. So far I am leaning towards the Vortech.

The APS and Turbonetics S turboes are options although I prefer the simplicity of the SC. Also, I want to minimize any uneccesary modifications from what I already have.

Speaking of which, I am getting my Fast Intentions exhast and test pipes this week. They should work w/ the SC, yes? Also, I am probably not going w/ the EU for engine management, probably the brand new HKS F-Con IS which is a scaled down version of the V-pro for half the price.

The big question is, what will work w/ my 06 Rev-up 6mt? The Vortech site only lists their product for th 03-04 models. Why wouldn't they make SC for newer cars? Should only older cars get FI? Doesn't make busines sense.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Turbonetics will have the revup application completed by the end of this month (July) for the 350Z but it appears to be very much the same as the G.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:27 PM
I like the Turbonetics also. But if I can get the Greddy TT for only 1000 more I can't pass it up.

I will keep the TN in mind, however.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I like the Turbonetics also. But if I can get the Greddy TT for only 1000 more I can't pass it up.

I will keep the TN in mind, however.
FYI _ Test pipes make less power on a Stillen, yet more power on the JWT Kit.

Research the various different options. You will not achieve 350 WHP without he Stillen. If you have a chance, drive as many as you can. If not an options, ask and get many opinions.

We have Rev-Up solutions for the JWT kit as well.

Good-Luck.

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FI for the 2006 6mt Rev-up