Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Going FI: Tires and Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roman, I agree with your general comment about the Invo and 555 being less grippy, but his need is in fact for a tire that can handle wet...the gent lives in Houston. So we need a reasonable compromise. Any tire that will provide safety extrusion channeling of water must by definition sacrifice tread block surface area and grip.

If he is going to go for a DOT-R compound down there in rainy Houston, the WORST thing he can do is put an NT-01 on his wheels. In the dry they are awesome tires, (I have two sets of race wheels fitted with them right now so my vote on that selection is in the ballot box already), but in wet conditions those very large tread blocks will have him sliding like leather shoes on an ice rink. Just going across a three foot patch of standing water will have him in hydroplane mode, and having done precisely that at Laguna Seca I can tell you that I would park and walk home if I was on city streets or highway with that tire and it started to rain. He could go with a Toyo RA-1, which is used by many top race teams as their preferred racing rain tire. But even then for daily use it is too soft for the street and daily driving.

Down in SoCal where we only get 13 inches of rain per year on average....we can even get silly and go with a BF Goodrich TA KD for a street tire, (not on the G but on smaller cars that can fit the smaller sizes in that offering).

What I like about the Nitto/Toyo is the advanced compound that is very light in weight, like the Michelins, and yet is so affordably priced. When you can save a couple of pounds per tire because of the advanced chemistry they use, and a couple of hundred bucks for a set because of their pricing, it is worth a look. Of course there are many other choices out there. Avon, Kumho, Falken etc make some awfully good rubber, as do Bridgestone, Yokohama and Goodyear. So take some time, read the comparison reviews, check price, wear, etc reports. But do research on weight and other specs that do not get talked about. Reduction of unsprung weight through lighter wheels and rubber is a very big performance enhancer.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am currently pushing around 370 rwhp. I have 19 x 10.5 in rear and 19 by 9.5 in the front. Running 275 30 and 255 30 front. I have the Toya T1 R which are great for the dry season and will be getting different set for winter and rain. But the T1 R are real grippy and handle the road very well. I really don't spin out because of the rims size in combination with the tires.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run the Toyo RA-1's on the street (i live in San Deigo), ... they aren't gonna last more than a few months really (depending upon your driving habits), ... and in the rain, Watch Out!!
If you can get away with only driving when it's mostly dry out, or have a couple sets of wheels to swap out, ... the RA-1's are SO friken sweet!! (of course sometimes people behind you might be bothered with the rocks/dirt the tires throw up! LOL) They are 'ok' when it's wet, ... but with a down pour when the water starts standing, you really need a tire that has some good channeling.

I would look at the Yolohama Advan Sport's, or Michelin PS2's ... depending on the size tire you want, they do come in up to a 315/30-18 if you want to go that big. I think this is what I will run during the "winter" months in San Deigo, ... b/c I can not run the RA-1's at all really when it rains....

Last edited by NoLimit; 07-23-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Eagle1- I was trying to find out where the dude lives but it was not listed on his profile. I'll have to agree with you that the NT-01 sucks in the rain. We're fortunate here in SoCal as we can run almost any tire any time. Houston is a different story. I used to spend a lot of time in H-town and rain is an issue, but there are still plenty of tires with grippy compound with above average wet weather performance such as the Yokohama Advan Sport, Advan Neova, and Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. I personally know the tire designer and engineer for the Invo and the tread design is perfect for wet roads as it channels water with ease. But one big issue I have with running the Invo is the limited size availability. Currently, there are no 19-inch sizes and only 3 sizes are available in 18-inch and all are narrow for a G35 or 350Z with an FI motor. I am sure more sizes are forthcoming as the Invo is Nitto's new flagship high performance tire.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by romanwarrior
Eagle1- I was trying to find out where the dude lives but it was not listed on his profile. I'll have to agree with you that the NT-01 sucks in the rain. We're fortunate here in SoCal as we can run almost any tire any time. Houston is a different story. I used to spend a lot of time in H-town and rain is an issue, but there are still plenty of tires with grippy compound with above average wet weather performance such as the Yokohama Advan Sport, Advan Neova, and Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. I personally know the tire designer and engineer for the Invo and the tread design is perfect for wet roads as it channels water with ease. But one big issue I have with running the Invo is the limited size availability. Currently, there are no 19-inch sizes and only 3 sizes are available in 18-inch and all are narrow for a G35 or 350Z with an FI motor. I am sure more sizes are forthcoming as the Invo is Nitto's new flagship high performance tire.

I totally agree with you on the above, and especially on the sizing issue. The money is in the 16 and 17's market to start with. Then they move up to 18's and finally 19's. It is going to be awhile before the market on the G coupe can get the right ones for an FI application.

The reference to Houston was a few entries down from the start of the thread:

"I live in Houston which gets torrential rain and is overrun by GINOURMOUS trucks w/ military grade grille guards running 80 plus mph. "

Last edited by Eagle1; 07-23-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by G.Ride
I would do the opposite. Tires are tires. Do as you will. 1200 in tires is overkill. 1200 in a suspension will make for a mean machine.

That is the most ignorant statement. Anyone who knows anything about cars or racing knows that tires is one of the most important handling and performance aspects you can do to your car. The suspension cannot perform fully on crappy tires and handling will be impaired. Also your brakes are only as good as your tires too.

Anyways, first determine what you need them for. If you are autocrossing then you will need an entirely different/soft tire.
For regular driving you will need a softer compound with good wet traction. Dry traction is usually there on a soft tire, but the wet+FI/torque can be bad when maneuvering in traffic and stopping.

For the best all around I liked the Goodyear GSD3's. I had these on my Cobra with 470rwp/485tq and they stuck very well in dry and wet. Handling was great as well. Well worth it for a daily driver.
For improved handling the Nitto 555R2 are a drag radial compound with a street tread and stiffer side wall for cornering. You are sacrificing launching capabilities with a stiffer side wall and some wet traction with the tread design.
Lastly is running a Drag Radial on the back. This has the greatest traction and grip in the dry, but say goodbye in the wet. These are only placed in the rear and do not help a lot for handling. Mainly for straightline acceleration.

Remember with that amount of power you will need soft/quality tires. Z-rated recommended with about a 280 tread wear. Depending on how agressively you drive and how often you burn out will determine their life, but typically they will only last about a year or less; or 20k miles or less.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Cobra-2-G; 07-24-2006 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks everyone...great posts!

Eventually, I will probably run the following:

19x10 rims w/ offsets on back, 9.0 on front.
275/35-40/19 rears
235-255/35-40/19 fronts

For tires I will probably stay w/ a max performance street tire w/ the highest possible rain ratings: Yoko. Advan Neo Sport/Mich. PS2/ or Goodyear Eagle F1 Gs-D3 EDIT: I just checked and the Goodyears are available in my size...and cheap! $1000 for all four! The expert tire test has the Goodyears rated number 1, and they are the best in the rain.

I will do no auto X or much track , just spirited daily driving. In Houston a good rain tire is an ABSOLUTE MUST! Trust me, I lived in CA for many years, and there is no comparison. It POURS here.

I will see if sways are sufficient and if so do no other suspension mods.

Actually, I will probably not be installing my TT for a while and when I do I think I will go w/ the APS (not Greddy).

My mod plans where rotating around an estate settlement I am involved in. I thought I was going to get some cash but it looks like I am just getting property....a House in Carmel CA by the water (cha ching $$$$!). So for the moment I am "land poor." I haven't decided if I am selling the house yet. I probably will sell the house which of course is totally irresponsible. Then I will go all out including an engine rebuild.

However, I definately have my tire/rim plans for the future. One last question: will the 9.5 size fit the 275's, and will 9.0 fit the 255's?

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-25-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Ohio G Club Member
I would go at least 10.5" for the rears. Then you have the option to move to at 295s for much better traction with FI.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:08 PM
The Pole
^ +1

Sorry to hear you didnt get the Money( I guess.. :P) A house on the water seems kicka$$!

You can always go NOS

Old 07-25-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey Ken....the house is worth more than if I cashed out. If I sell it I will be well off....but I have to be patient.

Brian, and anyone else who may want to chime in, will 10.5's with 275's on the back create any clearance problem? That is why I go with the offsets, yes?

Old 07-25-2006, 06:14 PM
10.5 inch rears with 285/35R19 and no clearance problems on my car.

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Hey Ken....the house is worth more than if I cashed out. If I sell it I will be well off....but I have to be patient.

Brian, and anyone else who may want to chime in, will 10.5's with 275's on the back create any clearance problem? That is why I go with the offsets, yes?

Old 07-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks, roman....but I definately need the offsets, yes?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Ohio G Club Member
What wheels do you want to go with? Most wheel/tire shops online will give you the right offsets for your particular car. Or order a custom wheel from DPE, Iforged, etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
...................looks like I am just getting property....a House in Carmel CA by the water (cha ching $$$$!). So for the moment I am "land poor." I haven't decided if I am selling the house yet. I probably will sell the house which of course is totally irresponsible.
You cannot sell the house, it is impossible to replace. Going FI w/built engine will set you back around $30k.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:13 PM
GZire,

I also cannot afford to live in the house either...in any case, it is in CA and I am now in Texas....long term, it seems....my life is here. The only reason for me to go back to CA was for my mother, who tragically passed 4 months ago....the estate (house in Carmel, 3 in Sacto plus around 400K) was hers and my step fathers. My stepfathers children tried to claim my mothers half (my mom, w/ a 55k stake from me built the mini empire). Fortunately, my lawyer prepared a strong case and they settled....my step father and I are good friends once again (he is very well taken care of...he gets the 400K and 3 Sacto houses) although his children are pissed.

The carmel house is worth...get this....900K...its 900 square feet...crazy, huh...but Carmel is beautiful.

In Texas, I can build my dream house for 200K. I was already planning to do so using my sorry little college teachers salary. Now it will be easier.

Right now I can do my TT for 11K and stay w/ stock internals at 370 whp.

I am in line to collect some insurance money for my mothers ADD policy..of course the insurance comp. is trying to screw me...lol my attorney and I will make them regret that decision.

I am going to use that money to mod the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going FI: Tires and Suspension