Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Those with Stillen Superchargers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:26 AM
MsA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those with Stillen Superchargers...

What exhaust are you guys running? Ive always heard that these superchargers love backpressure.... but wouldnt getting any aftermarket exhaust reduce backpressure resulting in no power gain?

Right now Im looking at either FI or Stillen exhaust. I love the way HKS looks but I want to hear how it sounds in person.

Do these superchargers perform best with stock exhaust?

What gains/losses would I be expecting?

Last edited by MsA; 12-22-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
i put on a borla before i even went with the stillen,so i really cant give any positive or negative impressions.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:22 AM
I'm in the same boat as ^ I had my Greddy SP2 rear section and Topspeed headers on before the S/C install. Sorry...

Old 12-23-2006, 01:39 AM
MsA
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I'm in the same boat as ^ I had my Greddy SP2 rear section and Topspeed headers on before the S/C install. Sorry...
Yeah I also had the Greddy Sp2 rear before the install but I doubt that it would make any difference. Hows the supercharger with those headers by the way?

Old 12-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Seems fine? Haven't had a chance to dyno yet. Haven't had a chance to install my gauges yet, either, to measure boost...

Old 12-24-2006, 01:39 AM
MsA
Ohh hehe... When I installed my gauges it saved me from potential problems..... I was overboosting cause I had the wrong pulley....which caused me to go on the lean side From what I read maybe you lose boost from the headers?

Old 12-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Anything that is on the exhaust side will increase flow and decrease back pressure. You will loose boost but the flow will be more. On my 03 roots blower cobra I lost 2 psi with a cat back and picked up 30rwhp.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordracing19
Anything that is on the exhaust side will increase flow and decrease back pressure. You will loose boost but the flow will be more. On my 03 roots blower cobra I lost 2 psi with a cat back and picked up 30rwhp.
Believe me...that is not the case with these VQ motors. ...... I wish.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Banned
There is no real gain in adding a better flowing exhaust in conjunction with a (Stillen) roots style SC, as far as power goes. If you are after the sound of a new exhaust, then by all means, go for it if you wanna spend the money. It won't really hurt power but you won't gain any either. When you open up the exhaust even more with headers, you really start to loose too much back pressure and, in turn boost, then power loss. These style (roots / twin screw) SC really like back pressure unlike a centrifugal unit that WILL benefit from better breathing.
Keep in mind, this Stillen (Eaton M62) SC will loose its efficiency after 7.5 to about 9 psi. After that if you try to make more boost with it (by way of a custom higher boost pulley) you will experience a great deal of heat, cavitation, and power loss.
IMO, stay with the stage 2,3, or maybe even 4,but don't expect to see anything that will give you any real power gains except maybe a methanol drip system (about +10whp), or cams (about +17whp). And remember there is no full proof, "safe" FI kit out there, I have seen this Stillen SC claim just as many motors lately as anything else on these motors. Its all in the tuning....whatever you get make it tuneable and have it tuned.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by wa2good
Believe me...that is not the case with these VQ motors. ...... I wish.
So if I go with a stillen or procharger the I wont pick up any gains from a cat back or cat delete?

Old 12-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You will pick up some but not much from exhaust side mods. Too little back pressure with the Stillen and you may end up hurting the low end and not feel much on the high end of the power band.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:07 AM
Banned
So if I go with a stillen or procharger the I wont pick up any gains from a cat back or cat delete?
Only with the Stillen is this the case. With a Procharger or a Vortech (centrifigal SC) You do stand to benefit from exhaust mods.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:49 AM
That's inline with my common sense reasoning. Who cares about boost #'s, if your hp/tq #'s increase? That's what you're ultimately after, right?

Old 12-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
That's inline with my common sense reasoning. Who cares about boost #'s, if your hp/tq #'s increase? That's what you're ultimately after, right?
One more time.....
With this Stillen (Eaton M62) roots style SC, you will not gain any HP or TQ. by opening up your exhaust on these VQ35 motors. You might slightly change the TQ. curve, but you will not stand to gain anything, and you stand a good chance of loosing power / torque. Trust me.....

But if anyone wants to do what I have already extensively have tried to do (extract any and every ounce of power out of this blower) than knock yourself out!

Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by wa2good
One more time.....
With this Stillen (Eaton M62) roots style SC, you will not gain any HP or TQ. by opening up your exhaust on these VQ35 motors. You might slightly change the TQ. curve, but you will not stand to gain anything, and you stand a good chance of loosing power / torque. Trust me.....

But if anyone wants to do what I have already extensively have tried to do (extract any and every ounce of power out of this blower) than knock yourself out!

Guys he is right. I tried high flow cats on my stage 4 and lost a couple hp.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those with Stillen Superchargers...