Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

A/T, UP/Grd Valve Bdy, cmtr unhappy (FI) *+!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Well mine was solved last week after I switched my Fujitsubo exhaust out to a true dual system, it seems that the back pressure was so great that it was not letting me pick up speed but instead slowing me down. Hesitation went completely away after replacing the system.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To the OP, what are the plans? Not sure if it helps but I have a spare 05 tranny, but you are way on the opposite coast.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spare 05 tranny

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted, by the way, how does one end up with a "spare" tranny?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
It's a good idea to have a spare tranny when going FI in the 5AT.

I'm in the process of sending my spare to SGP for a complete rebuild and beefy torque converter.

Wolf, I've read your posts and wish you luck with the problem. It appears your car is at Forged Performance. They are a good group and I know Sharif will def work to get it right. I upgraded my VB through them and was pleased. I've pushed the stock 5AT beyond it's capabilities with about 500whp so that's the reason for the rebuild.

Just as another point to eliminate; make sure you have the correct year VB. I know it may seem stupid or obvious but sh$t happens and perhaps Transgo used a different year VB. That can cause problems if you have the wrong year VB. Just a guess.

Ron

Old 03-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by roncfpz
It's a good idea to have a spare tranny when going FI in the 5AT.

I'm in the process of sending my spare to SGP for a complete rebuild and beefy torque converter.

Wolf, I've read your posts and wish you luck with the problem. It appears your car is at Forged Performance. They are a good group and I know Sharif will def work to get it right. I upgraded my VB through them and was pleased. I've pushed the stock 5AT beyond it's capabilities with about 500whp so that's the reason for the rebuild.

Just as another point to eliminate; make sure you have the correct year VB. I know it may seem stupid or obvious but sh$t happens and perhaps Transgo used a different year VB. That can cause problems if you have the wrong year VB. Just a guess.

Ron
Thanks for your input...I'm just a little frustrated. Lets see if "people" "put their money where their mouth is".

I have learned a lot in the last few days and I'm disconcerted to learn that A/T FI problems are not that uncommon. This fact does not surprise or bother me. What bothers me is that if this is true and is "common knowledge" in the industry then I should have been informed of this going in.

I am a huge believer in not scrimping on things..it is false economy. This attitude was conveyed very clearly to the parties involved...going in..."If it needs to be done spend the money and do it right..."

Knowing what I now know I would have (and probably will) send my "stuff" to SGP for strengthening.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

I ended up with a spare cause I was at the drag strip, snapped an axle but thought I blew my transmission up. So next day before my shop came to pick up my FX and start the diagnosis I found another tranny just in case.

Correct year VB is very important.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Originally Posted by wolf
Knowing what I now know I would have (and probably will) send my "stuff" to SGP for strengthening.
I'm not a tranny expert but is that the right thing to do? If it's not a working set up with the shifting does it make sense to build it up? How consistent was the problem before trying the new VB?

Old 03-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Correct year VB is very important.[/QUOTE]
I assume this has been checked. The orig vb came back (twice) and was installed twice...same problem.

The "new" problem came from a "stock" vb from Txxxxo and I do not know of its origins. (I can't do it all...I am paying [with real money] "experts" to do this work...)

Old 03-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

I understand the frustration, trust me

Knowing who you're working with I'd be willing to send my tranny out to you to do a test. You'd have to pay for shipping (both ways if it doesn't work out) though. Up to you, 5AT help was nil to no-existent for me 9 months ago and not much has changed so I really do know how you you feel.

My tranny is from a 2005 G35. Got it from a salvaged car and was shown the odometer of 5500 miles.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
If it's not a working set up with the shifting does it make sense to build it up? How consistent was the problem before trying the new VB?[/QUOTE]
My statement of strengthening my AT assumes that I get a functioning car back. This "set up" is not rocket science...it should be made to work. My point or thought is that if the AT is manfg. to use say 200 hp and I am now asking it to use 300 hp it was really not designed for this and I would certainly assume that it would be prone to braking down or at least wearing out faster.

New car...all stock...AT good.

TT...VB upgrd, exhaust etc...day one car/AT messed up to the point where is really not safe to drive...never has been right. VB returned...reinstalled...still messed up...new stk VB...car now undrivable...Oh my

Old 03-10-2007, 03:31 PM
wolf, I ran completely stock 5AT trans for about 4k miles with no issues after my GReddy TT kit was installed. i was pushing about 360whp at the time. i later did the VB upgrade for quicker shifts and to help preserve the trans.

i don't think you needed or need a "rebuilt" trans costing over $4k for the HP u r running on the JWT kit. one of the problems i see is that so much has changed at once that it's difficult to isolate the problem and will take some trial and error. i would def take up rookie on the offer..............very, very cool of him to offer.

good luck!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

I'm just trying to help, and I'm sure Sharif is as well cause I talked to him about this. I've read of a Vortech'd 5AT that died within a few hundred miles of install, some are built better than others from the get go. I drove almost 20k TT miles on VB, TC and external cooler before I did anything to the internals the load on my tranny is higher than Gs and Zs since I weigh in at over 4500lbs with me in it.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by wolf
I assume this has been checked. The orig vb came back (twice) and was installed twice...same problem.

The "new" problem came from a "stock" vb from Txxxxo and I do not know of its origins. (I can't do it all...I am paying [with real money] "experts" to do this work...)
I would double check with them; you never know and mistakes happen. the problem sounds unusual and almost electrical/computer related or something with the TCM (trans control module).

Old 03-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Thumbs up generous

[QUOTE=rookie]I understand the frustration, trust me

Knowing who you're working with I'd be willing to send my tranny out to you to do a test.

This is very generous of you. Thanks I'll let you know.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:57 PM
true, yes

"one of the problems i see is that so much has changed at once that it's difficult to isolate the problem and will take some trial and error. i would def take up rookie on the offer..............very, very cool of him to offer."

All true and excellent points...thanks very much for your input(s).

The rebuild or AT build up I refer to I guess is just a (over?) reaction to having a broken car...it is not acceptable to me. As I have mentioned somewhere on the "boards" I would way rather spend $ up front to get it "right" than have a brake down or chronic problem down the road.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A/T, UP/Grd Valve Bdy, cmtr unhappy (FI) *+!