Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Single Turbo vs Twin Turbo for the 3.5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Single Turbo vs Twin Turbo for the 3.5

This may sound like a stupid question, but as far as money and gains from a twin turbo setup, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a twin turbo setup over a single one. I'm looking for performance on the track as oppose to straight line performance.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 12-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Single Turbo vs Twin Turbo for the 3.5

This is where turbo housing and impellers comes into play...A larger turbo will spool slower than a smaller turbo...Also, most turbos I've come across have 11 blades...Turbonetics is offering a turbo capable of up to 2000HP that has 10 blades and the theory is that it spools better...Of course, I don't know that any other manufacturers do that (HKS, GReddy, PE, etc) but it seems a logical idea...If you've known a person that tuned a Supra you'll know that many owners recommend ditching the twin set-up and going single...Usually, if I remember correctly, a T66...Don't quote me on that, as I'm shooting from the hip on that one (I think it's the T66 though)...Basically, the longer the 350Z and G35 are around the more turbo set-ups we can expect (in theory) and that will be the only way to really gauge pros and cons when it comes to single and twin...Top Secret hasn't released their proposed single system yet, and no one I know has gone with a custom built system from Turbonetics yet, so I really don't want to turn this thread into speculation and arguments about supposed gains as far as single over twin...But single seems to be quite potent in the Supra...It all comes down to skilled engine building and tuning

"All the Power in the World resides in the Eyes..."

Old 12-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok ive heard this explained by someone i know with a single turbo supra. when u have twin turbos sometimes one will spool up slower therefore u can get a boost in power from the slower one. if u r in a turn and the second turbo kicks in u get a boost in power and it cause u to veer off course. so BOOM. also twin is more expensive but u can get more power. it all depends on waht comes out.

Old 12-31-2003, 09:42 PM

is that consider as sequential turbo?

g35mt

Old 12-31-2003, 10:09 PM

Hey guys

The current TT systems, Greddy and PE, for the Z/g35 are all non-sequential - they come on at the same time. There are a couple of reasons for this ... more consistent, predictable gains , and that there is a region in the rpm band (below say 3000 - or whatever the spool-up speed is) where the engine sees no boost. This may seem bad but if you think about it, it is rather a good thing - you don't wanna be boosting your engine on a freeway cruise. This represents another advantage that turbo's (at least the non-sequential ones) have over superchargers - they don't stress (boost) the engine like SC's do - which do it from the instance you start the engine (b/c they are crank driven).

Gurgen

Old 01-01-2004, 07:53 PM

The TT and the Sequential turbo will make a big difference. With a stock Supra TT, you have a setup where there is a smaller turbo and a larger turbo, which is sequential. The smaller turbo spools up faster to get the lower RPM boost, then the larger turbo spools up and takes over for the higher end boost. Straight line drag racers i see tend to use the single larger turbo setup, I believe and correct me if im wrong, if you think about it, when you start up off the line, you are already up in the RPMs. As far as track performance, as what you were looking for, a Twin sequential turbo will give you more boost when you're coming out of the turns at lower speeds. I don't know of any sequential setups for the g35 yet. The twin setups, where the turbos are the same size, allow for 2 smaller turbos that will spool up faster, but boost at pressures as if it were 1 larger turbo. I'm not sure of the sizes of the turbos that are being made for the g35, but i know that there are twin setups on the market. I don't want to make any recommendations for you but i hope this helped you out a bit.

Old 01-01-2004, 08:15 PM

Actually, both of the Supra's turbos are the same size "CT12". They do however engage sequentially. One turbo uses all the avialable exhaust gasses to build boost before the second comes online.

Old 01-01-2004, 08:27 PM

really they are? i was in the market for a used supra TT and i swore it was a larger and a smaller. Oh well we learn something new everyday. Not like the supra matters to me anymore now that i have a G... hahaha.

Life is hard, but its harder when you're stupid.
www.1911forum.com
www.calguns.net

Old 01-02-2004, 11:43 PM

I have both a G35 daily driver and a a single turbo Supra. The first and best advice I can give you is to find a GOOD TUNER. You are asking a question that to tuners is a very broad question. Yes the stock Supra has sequential turbo system. No other stock or even aftermarket is sequential. (The individual who said the two turbos are the same size is incorrect. The number 2 turbo is generally the first turbo to blow when Supra owners turn up the boost to 20-22 psi. Unless you plan on doing major internal work, do not even worry about which system is better. The amount of psi that can run without modifications will be so low that this is just a hypethitical question. I love both cars, but both have different requirements. Women do love the Supra more though!

Old 01-03-2004, 03:26 AM

No. Both of the Supra's stock turbos are the same size. Many people, even most owners believe that one is bigger than the other, but this is not so.

Take for example the true twin conversion, which bypasses the stock sequential system, where both turbos come on line at the same time. If the turbos were not the same size this mod would not be so possible.

When you purchased your supra was it already upgraded to a single?

Old 01-03-2004, 03:36 AM

Also, the Supra is not the only car that uses sequential turbos. Porsche 959, 3rd generation RX7, and Subaru Legacy are a few cars that also use this system.

Old 01-03-2004, 02:12 PM

how the hell do you do single turbo on a V6???? it is possible on a supra because it is an inline6 and most likely on a supra sequential twins is more likely but on a V6???? cmon people.... where would you mount the single turbo? underneath the car???? lol. no i do not think single nor sequential turbos would work on a g35..

Old 01-03-2004, 04:51 PM

Are you serious? It's very simple to have a single turbo on a V6 or V8 car. The two exhaust manifolds merge into one inlet for the turbo. I have a 93 GMC Typhoon and it's a V6 with a single turbo. And if your are familiar they are extremely quick trucks (0-60 5.4, 1/4 14.1 stock)

03.5 G35S 5AT - Desert Platinum/Graphite/350Z Tube/Clear corners/HG kit/30% Tint

Old 01-03-2004, 06:13 PM

LOL...You can mount a single 'charger on a V6...That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time

Someone tell Top Secret that they can't mount a single turbo on a V6...Wouldn't want them to waste their time...

"All the Power in the World resides in the Eyes..."

Old 01-03-2004, 07:05 PM

The good old days Typhoon, Syclone, and even the Buick GNX. All are fast V-6's with a single tubro.

And then there was Kenne Bell a well known tuner specializing in single turbo V'6's back then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo vs Twin Turbo for the 3.5