Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Stock motor with forced induction . . . how badly did you push it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nuclearcarnie
Sounds like a bitter/sweet situation. Sorry to hear about the failure but I guess it is also a testament to the VQ to put up with that in stock form for
12K miles and...now you have a great excuse to build the motor! I remember emailing you on youtube after seeing your video, that car hauled butt! I too have the Turbonetics system with Meth injection and just turned 15K miles since the install. I have a more modest tune at around 350WHP and drive it like a grandpa with limited thrashings. Not a day of trouble (knock knock knock!!!) and I have driven it literally coast to coast twice along with 60 mile round trips to work every day. Nobody can argue with me about the reliability of this system on a modest tune. I am a big fan of Turbonetics. Good luck on the build, I look forward to seeing the results.
The car held up well I think for the way I pushed it. Weekly trips to the mountains for some fun driving, a few autox's, countless street runs and general everyday abuse. When she finally let loose I had 3-4 cars on a tuned and bolt on 335I

Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Boost is definitely more fun than NA!!

BTW, I have a whole 6k miles of boosted fun in a year and a half. Low miles FTMFW!!!

I'll update this thread when I stop feeling so lazy too.
So...about that thread update

Originally Posted by SouthernG35
I am looking at a few different options. I may go with a built short block and keep the ST and add meth and NO2. I may go with twins. Not sure yet.

I have also been talking to my buddy that owns a local performance shop here in town about doing a 2JZ ST swap. I think that would be wild as hell in a sedan. 2JZswap.com has there kit on the market now for $2,200.00 for the 350. I have not talked to them yet about if it will work on the G Sedan.
Now THIS is something I wanna see!!!

j/k

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-31-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
1000 miles on my kit so far. 9psi no issues at all.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:30 AM
I had a few question for the people that fit the category mentioned in my title. First off, how long do you plan on having the car, is it for a couple years or just for short while? I have the facts or Forced induction for noobs on the other website and understand that there is a certain point in which stock internals can hold power for but my main question is reliability. I really want to get a single turbo kit for my car and will tune it but a lot of people have said this makes the motor not last as long and die faster. Others say it depends on how much boost you are runnng etc. My ideal boost would be from 8lb to 9lb and my goal would be around 370-380whp so nothing too crazy. I plan to have the car for the next 5 years or so. Input is appreciated as i need to know what i can do.

thanks

Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 AM
I recommend you make a new thread for this but all in all you need to install everything you need that will make the system reliable. E.g. fuel return, aftermarket ECU with boost cut and knock sensor, injectors, and most importantly you need a good, conservative tune from a respected tuner. Many will argue you can reach your goals without some of this stuff, but I can almost guarantee your engine won't last as long. All it takes is one boost spike and/or not enough fuel in the mix and BOOM you're done.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I have the Turbonetics system on my 06' 6MT. I have stock internals, stock exhaust, a re-flashed stock ECU (just haven't had the time to get to anything else). I do have a Snow Performance Meth. injection system for a little insurance. I will say this...

I drive the car every single day. I have driven it cross country twice since the install and have put nearly 25,000 miles on it since having it installed just one year ago. It performs flawlessly. I have not had a single reliability problem with the car in this time. I will also add that I do not drive like a teenager but I do get into the boost to some degree every day I drive it. I am running 8.8 lbs of boost and I think the meth. injection is worth the spend for the added piece of mind. I would not reliability issues scare you away from doing this if you drive responsibly for the most part and don't feel the need to wring it out every time you drive it.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My G has been boosted with a Vortech SC for over 38k miles on STOCK INTERNALS, STOCK INJECTORS, STOCK FUEL PUMP. No meth injection, no water injection, no NOS, nothing else other than a conservative tune.

I make about 360hp to the wheels with lower torque numbers due to the linear boost of the SC ... but the max boost measurement at the plenum is actually under 6psi due to the plenum spacer and free flowing exhaust.

My setup has seen numerous track days with hours of WOT stretches and upshift/downshifting. The biggest safety device that I use when tracking my G? High octane unleaded racing fuel (usually around 106 octane). This protects from detonation and keeps the cylinders cool during the constant high RPM WOT runs.

In my opinion the immediate torque and high boost at low RPM's from a turbo setup has a greater effect on reliability. I say this because when some turbo setups hit full boost well before 3000 RPM's, the engine is not breathing to it's fullest capacity which means the internals are under full pressure for longer periods before the exhaust cycle.

Again, this is just my opinion but I have seen it happen too many times that a turbo engine fails at lower RPM's ... blame the wastegate maybe or the tuner?

Just remember, the stock VQ is 10.5:1 compression and then add boost?? The R35 GTR has "only" a 9.0:1 compression with stock twins.

Just my 2 pennies...

Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there a way to add either a turbo or S/C on an 05 g35x, on a stock transmission and stock engine block? I dont want to much power just a little extra boost.
What company should i look into?
Also does a S/C use a large intercooler with a blow off valve?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eckoultd87 - 2006 6MT Coupe - Greddy TT w/20G Turbos 5.5psi, UTEC, Walbro fuel pump, 650cc Injectors, External wastegates, JWT HD Clutch & Flywheel, Motordyne 1/2in Spacer and lower plenum, Fujitsubo exhaust STOCK INTERNALS. Installed and Tuned by Jtran Studios. 33k w/ 3k boosted. 414whp @ 5.5psi 360wtq on a conservative tune.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have and STS rear mount turbo kit 5.5psi on safe tune 200,000kms! it blew 2 cylinders. but give it some credit my mechanic forgot to plug in one of the spark plug wires so i was running on 5 cylinders for 5000kms+ then 3 days with 6 cylinders it blew.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 PM
^^ WTF you didn't notice for over 3000km that you were running on 5 cyl? I left a coil disconnected on my ride and both me and my friend noticed something wrong the second my car started...

Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm coming up on 30k boosted miles with daily beatings and two track days and multiple auto crosses. No major motor problems, but small things have happened. Vacuum lines have came loose, over heating...etc.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:37 AM
I made it right to about 3K miles. Car went on my Bday(July 29th), still in shop now awaiting diagnosis. Daily I drove it easily but I enjoyed battling a couple cars with my partner in crime "Djamps" though I usually made people not want to race when I down shifted and they got nervous.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech I hope you have a speedy recovery... I am seriously missing the back road runs.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM
So far it's been two weeks...I really hope for a diagnosis tomorrow, fixing is something else but hopefully diagnosis tomorrow.

What's the cheapest any of ya guys got a built block for in the Maryland/D.E./Virginia/PA area??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock motor with forced induction . . . how badly did you push it?