Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Poor Man's Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2004 | 05:32 PM
|
Poor Man's Turbo?

OK, this just sounds too good to be true but it also sounds too logical not to be true. Please check out this site

www.electricsupercharger.com

and read the claims and let me know if this is even possible. The HP gains seem to be outragous for the price. If anyone has this on their car please let us know how it works and sounds.

Old 01-23-2004 | 06:58 PM
Re: Poor Man's Turbo?

Sounds interesting, but I am skeptical (reminds me of the 'tornado' gimic). Anyhow, I heard the big boys were looking into this and I think the new Civic hybrid uses a form of an electric supercharger.

Here's a couple links of interest. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can review and weigh in.

<a href="http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic62691.htm">http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic62691.htm</a>

<a href="http://home.att.net/~t.vago/howto/waste_money.html">http://home.att.net/~t.vago/howto/waste_money.html</a>

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages. See my profile for updated mods list and pics.

Old 01-23-2004 | 07:11 PM
G SQUAD

It looks like a nice idea for someone that either doesn't want to spend upwards of 6k on an FI setup, or doesn't want FI because of the amount of miles they put on the car. I fit both of those categories. If someone tried it with dyno results I might be interested But other than that I dunno. You would be looking at around 10-15 HP at the crank with this thing if it works. At 300$ thats ont bad. I really wonder how our ecu would react to this though. I actually wouldn't compare this to a FI system but more like an intake system. Kind of a ram air on speed.

Old 01-23-2004 | 07:50 PM
|

I spoke to a rep. over there and he sounded like he knew his stuff. Of course a rookie like me is easily snowed. He wasn't pushy or trying to sell me too hard. He kept on saying its guranteed. His main concern was with where the o2 sensor is located. He said that the fan creates such a rush of air that it might screw with the sensor. He wasn't exactly farmiliar with the G's stock intake system so I sent him some pics and he is supposed to get back to me soon with some answers.

It sounds perfect for those of us not ready for a turbo or supercharger system, especially if you haven't invested in a CAi yet. You have to admit the theory behind the way this thing works makes sense. But why haven't any of us heard about it?

I will follow up. I might be willing to take the risk depending on what he and you guys say.

Old 01-24-2004 | 01:13 PM

That was really interesting. It looks like it would increase hp. Well, if anyone gets it, let us know.

'04 G35 6MT Ivory Pearl
K&N Drop In / Stillen Grounding Kit
Borla Headers/Dual Cat-Back Exhaust
Nismo Front Bumper/Side Skirts
Impul Rear Bumper/Spoiler
AirSplat.com for AirSoft Guns!

Old 01-24-2004 | 01:33 PM
G SQUAD

The theory does work or should I say make sence. I did see one other appliactoin like this before but this seems to be a better setup. one thing to keep in mind though is that on the list of cars that dont show any gains 3 out of 4 are Nissan/Infiniti engines. I think the g20 2 litre and the Sentra SER motor. Just something to keep in mind I mean really there is nothing to worry about cause if it doesn't work you get your money back.

Old 01-24-2004 | 03:09 PM

The G35 engine is totally different than the G20 engine. The G35 is the VQ 3.5 liter variant, so we shouldn't have any worries about that. After reading about this whole thing, it sounds really great, but a lot of people were bashing on it at the other forum, but no dyno from anyone so i don't really know the facts. I emailed the guy at the eRAM site regarding our G and ill post his response. If its really true the super eRAM (two of the eRAM's in a row) would add 20-30 hp at the crank.

Old 01-24-2004 | 03:50 PM

Try searching these forums. This was discussed a while back, and I think that most people didn't really buy into it.

Old 01-24-2004 | 07:45 PM
G SQUAD

I know the engines are different but it was interesting that most of the applications that didn't work were nissans. I think there was one a little while back that did get trashed but that was by a different company. This one seems to be a little better. Or at least marketed better in any case.

Old 01-24-2004 | 10:55 PM

I found the previous posts. Here it is
https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...&part=all&vc=1

Here's the other one as well
https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...&part=all&vc=1

Looks like there was already a huge debate!

'04 G35 6MT Ivory Pearl

Old 01-25-2004 | 12:59 PM

Personally, I say save your money... never believed in these "e-chargers", but thats me; in the end the only thing that matters is going with whatever makes you happy....

Old 01-25-2004 | 01:22 PM

I'm not saying this thing won't work on the G, but remember the stock G has a bit of a ram-air setup, so dyno-ing this thing (which of course is static) won't take that into account.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 01-25-2004 | 04:06 PM

That's a good point.
I think someone with access to a dyno should really give it a try. I mean, it's a money back guarentee, so whoever has access to a dyno would be doing us all a favor. e-Ram has their own dynos, but it's much more reassuring when it's not from the source trying to sell the product. Any takers?

'04 G35 6MT Ivory Pearl

Old 01-25-2004 | 04:40 PM

there is no way to prove its use on a dyno. in reality, when driving, the ram air effect comes into play. maybe only way would be by butt dyno. very sensitive butt that is.

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
6-wire ground kit

Old 02-27-2004 | 03:25 AM

so..... did anything ever happen with this?

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
6-wire ground kit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poor Man's Turbo?