Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

STS Remote-Mount Turbo Intro Price.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
can you give a quick recap of what the pro's and con's are of a remote mount?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
Awesome kit and a great deal for what you get.

Yes, you can get a TN installed for around $6500-$7000 and still get a reflash and smaller injector. Not dissing TN just comparing.

This kit is just another Option for us just like some people still buy Stillen and other prefer TT

Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Alan
can you give a quick recap of what the pro's and con's are of a remote mount?

You want my Bias opinion

This came from STS but with a little input from me and took out the less important ones

Pro:

1. Ease of installation. STS turbo systems can be installed in about 8 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability. (True everything is easy to access)

2. Performance Sound. The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an aftermarket performance muffler. Turbo spool and rushing air from the blow-off valve make a unique sound that will turn heads! ( If you don't have any after market Exhaust then this save you some $$$$)

3. No need for major modifications to your vehicle. STS systems are designed to "bolt-on" to factory mounts.

4. Lower under hood temperatures. No need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other components. ( I have a Remote-Mount Turbo and my engine bay still get hot, imagine how other Front-mount )

5. Converts back to stock in about an hour.

6. More room under the hood. Future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to engine components.

7. Cooler oil to the turbo. Cool oil is better for both the turbo and engine.

8. Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the car is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage. (I still let my car cool off for 1min)

8. Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently. (Don't know if this is true )

9. Built-in intercooling. Intake piping provides ~50% intercooler efficiency. There is no need for the expense, pressure drop, and installation problems associated with a front mounted intercooler. (Apply for Stock piping were Pipe is on the side of the car) Mine is in the middle right next to the exhaust pipes

10. Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components. (Longer Life for your Turbo)

11. No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.

12. Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet. Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine. (Don't know if this is also True )

13. Better weight transfer. Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front. (Useless Pro )

14. Sound can be really intimidating.

Now the Con's

1. Need the car warmed up before Turbo can actually get Best Performance. (this is the only thing I hate but hopefully brake boosting will get me warmed up faster )

2. I say lag compared to other Front-Mount Single Turbo is around 200-500rpm. (can be a good thing for traction) but like I said, VQ motor have enough tq down low to make you happy. Also it gives you another 300rpm to avoid Boost if you want to drive normally

3. If you want a sleeper type then this is not for you coz once you hit boost or even just before you hit positive boost people can still hear the Turbo Spin (a little)

4. If you want an aftermarket Exhaust then this is not for you coz this replaced your muffler.

I can't think of anything else but you can post your concern and I'll try to clear things for you.

Last edited by FI'ed G; 08-06-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
that kit has an awesome sound because you're basically running an open downpipe, hehe.. too bad they didn't make some kind of diffusor/under panel to conceal the turbo from the underside of the car. I'm pretty sure, the view from the back screams "steal my turbo". A few minutes under the car, and some one could take most of your turbo kit off??

Old 08-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by DRAGMODE
that kit has an awesome sound because you're basically running an open downpipe, hehe.. too bad they didn't make some kind of diffusor/under panel to conceal the turbo from the underside of the car. I'm pretty sure, the view from the back screams "steal my turbo". A few minutes under the car, and some one could take most of your turbo kit off??
How many Rear-Mount do you see especially for Import? The only way they'll find out that your turbo is in the back is if you put a big sticker that you have a Rear-Mount turbo. Second, do you know how hot a Turbo can be? It will take over 30mins just for them to touch it and remove it.

My car is always in a Garage and I don't park in questionable areas. If I do park there then my turbo is the last thing I'm worried about coz they can steal your wheels, Sound System (If you have one) or just tow your car. A turbo is cheaper than any after market wheel/tire out there (maybe not the garbage one ) also the only way they will see the turbo is if they really get down and take a peak coz the turbo is way up and it is not easily seen.

Also the turbo sound sick coz not just the open dump but because the turbo is not covered under the hood so you can hear the Turbo spin. On my video I was only hitting 1-2 lbs of boost so my wastage hasn't opened yet

Old 08-06-2007, 08:21 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
this is a very cool setup would love to see some more videos or sound clips

Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 PM
More vids please

Old 08-07-2007, 01:44 AM
G RIDIN
sweet 10psi number!!! Was it still with the same intercooler and piping and also with the same fuel system?

Also can you give more detail on why the car needs to warm up for best performance, and what you mean by warm up?? (like oil temp has to be at a certain level??)

Thanks for all the help!

Mahdi

Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 AM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
curious about performance #'s. 1/4 mile with trap. makes it easier to compare to other kits vs. dyno graphs. thanks!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 AM
G RIDIN
Yeah that would be deft. cool to know^^^ haven't seen any 1/4 mile times...

Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 AM
The sound is amazing! This is the best sounding turbo kit I've heard for a G or Z! It would be cool if STS came out with a twin turbo kit for the guys that want more than 400whp.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
G35driver Addict
i wonder what the intake temps are and if you weld some fins on to the intake piping for extra cooling.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by MahdiG35
sweet 10psi number!!! Was it still with the same intercooler and piping and also with the same fuel system?

Mahdi

Everything was the same meaning stock piping (Piping on the side). As far as I know I'm the only one that has the new relocation pipe but I know one of the tester is in the process of changing his to the new piping. On thing that I think can be improve is the FMIC, thought it should be sufficient, but for stock G35 bumper it is it doesn't get enough flow. Plus the IC is a Tube/Fine design so changing to a Bar/Plate might reduce some pressure drop. This will really be helpful since the turbo is way at the back and every pressure drop that can be eliminated would be a great help. I just purchased Gurgen's stock PE TT (Bar/Plate) FMIC but didn't get a chance to install it yet, hopefully it will reduce my IAT because of the new piping and at the same time reduce pressure drop (If there is any on the current FMIC).

Originally Posted by MahdiG35
Also can you give more detail on why the car needs to warm up for best performance, and what you mean by warm up?? (like oil temp has to be at a certain level??)

Thanks for all the help!

Mahdi
even after warming up (Temp wise), you still need to drive it about 2-3 blocks to get the turbo spooling. The turbo is way at the back and it takes a little longer to warm up so you need to drive 2-3 blocks to get the turbo spooling, after that it gets better. This is the reason I'm so interested on the new kit that KPierson is working on to allow us to do Brake Boosting on our car. Hopefully brake boosting will help the turbo spool faster to reduce the distance to warm up the turbo. Basically you just need to get 1-2PSI on the turbo and that should be enough to warm it up.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by izmir41500
i wonder what the intake temps are and if you weld some fins on to the intake piping for extra cooling.
If you opt with the standard piping (pipe on the side) then you should be worried about IAT coz there plenty of cold air to cool the actual pipe. The problem is for people that want the relocation pipe which is located right next to the exhaust. The IAT is not as bad as you think, it is still a bit lower than the TN IAT, I'm just comparing the IAT to the original setup which has more access to colder air hence it can produce more power. The stock bumper doesn't help either coz the Intercooler is not getting air flow.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:28 AM
G35driver Addict
you can always wrap the exhaust pipe correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: STS Remote-Mount Turbo Intro Price.