Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

It's done! ~~MoTeC M800~~ running on my car *pics*videos*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up It's done! ~~MoTeC M800~~ running on my car *pics*videos*

Hey Guys

Haven't been on the boards much, been busy in the garage...

But, yes, i indeed did it, from scratch.

Decided to go with the MoTeC following my long courtship with it's software... Seriously, it's been a few months when I actually started to seriously play with the software, picking it apart to learn it. Not long after, I became amazed at the philosophy that is MoTeC, and their fresh and unmatched approach to engine management. The Version 3 (for the Mx00 series) was designed from the ground up to do whatever you desired.... But....about that later... And I am sure a few people on this board (Phunk) can chime in on it's capabilities.

Not sure where to start really... I guess I will start with the basics, and perhaps down the line talk about what makes this system truly special, and believe me, its true genius lies beyond the multitude of inputs, table sizes, etc...

Instead of regurgitating the specs, here is the link to the M800 brochure:
http://www.motec.com.au/pdf/M800.pdf

Here are some of the highlights:
- 24x40 fuel and 24x55 ignition (MAPxRPM) sites...more than enough
- in essentially EVERY table, user can choose the desired X and Y axes channels (over a hundred to choose from I am sure), as well as 8 custom user-definable channels
- countless compensations (BAP, EMAP, IAT, ECT, FTemp, FP, Gear, cranking, post-start, AND two additional user customizable tables with ANY X- and Y-axes)
- bank trims, individual cylinder trims (fuel AND ignition)
- injector timing adjustments (yes, injector timing, not ignition), more on this later...
- all trims and compensations can be 3D tables, NOT just 2D, so one can finally do away with bank-to-bank differences reliably and under all conditions (specifically, I have always wanted to tune out the high-vacuum/idle runner-robbing AFR inequalities at idle)
- all 14 analog and 4 digital inputs configurable with full filtering (1-50)
- 6 of the 14 analog inputs have a 1K pull up resistor, so one can plug in 2-wire resistor-based sensors (NTC-type temperature sensor) without a need for additional wiring/pull-up resistors
- digital inputs can be used to measure the input's frequency, period, and pulse... I am using the latter for Knock monitoring... more on this later..... should be pretty trick (and very inexpensive).

Also, MoTeC already has a VQ35 syncing setting, hence that part wasn't a problem, provided you get the right settings from your dealer and/or MoTeC USA.

My setup:

- MoTeC M820 (M800 with Advanced Functions option, the only way it's available in the US)
- Advanced Functions: Anti-Lag, Flat-shift, Launch Control, full Traction Control (the latter being the famous MoTeC TC functionality, truly something special).
- Cam Control Option
- Dual LC-1's for lambda input (and NO, you don't need to buy the lambda option (single or dual) to have lambda monitoring if you already have standalone controllers with analog outs).

Here is the genius of the system... basically everything works with NO CAVEATS, truly works, and works VERY WELL. The latter anyone would tell you, just going by MoTeC's reputation, but the integration of the whole product line is so universal, intuitive, and intricate, ALL communicating via CAN (so only 2 wires necessary to each separate device, should you choose to expand). Completely programmable CAN packets, telemetry, wireless telemetry... granted most/all features are extra, most are actually somewhat reasonable... Then again, you truly DO get what you pay for in this case.

My short-term plans:
- Tune the car
- Implement Cam Control
- Use MoTeC to control boost, hence getting rid of the EVC5 as well.
- Use MoTeC for primary logging, at least for the time being. All new units come with 8 hours of free logging, single wideband control.
- implement Launch control
- implement rotary dials/switches for boost control, traction control, map switching, etc.... (thinking of some pretty neat methods, we'll see what I will end up with, not real sure yet).

My long-term plans:
- Implement and fine-tune traction control
- Use Motec to control WI, fully map the system with closed-loop water injection control (more on this later)
- Implement IC water spray bar control or IC nitrous spray bar control

Here are some pics:

Some shots of the harness, the unit itself. What you see is the result of about 13 hours of work. I did not opt for the flying lead MoTeC harness, as I wanted to have only those wires that I would be using, and nothing more. Allows for a cleaner look IMHO. Also, the flying lead harness is $650!! The connectors/pins were $80... so that was a no brainer (however, it's certianly not for a non-hardcore-DIYer): With the flying lead harness, I would save about 3 hours of work.
Also, i made separate 4- and 12-pin breakout harnesses for all external connection, so that the harness can be easily unplugged and reworked if need be without much trouble. I used pretty decent (yet easy to work with)AMP(r) connectors, totally water-proof (not that they need to be, but still...) THe harness will be finished and dressed up when all is said and done and the car is in its final configuration.

The close-up of the knock-unit. Motec does not have any built-in knock functionality, acoording to them, because it can't be made to work as reliably as the rest of the system. But, it does have PLENTY of controls for external knock devices, pretty trick stuff.... more on that later.

The USB-CAN adapter...no more parallel port...

The car side of things... note the finishes 12-pin header for ALL the sensors.

The videos:
The first one is literally the first few minutes after I started the car...the map is wayyy off... but the car ran no problem. Also, the wideband sensors were jacked because of the leaded fuel I ran....so i got new sensors, got rid of the Lm-1, got a second LC-1...now it idles essentially perfectly larlgely untuned (just on closed loop).

The close-up of the screen, forgive the shakiness, I'll make a better video tomorrow.

I am sure there is a lot that I am forgetting... Will return with more soon...

Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. ... Those are some sweet features that the Motec offers..

Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 AM
GTT
G35 Twin Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice how does it compare to the Utec ?!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Wow congrats! Sucks that even after replacing your wirining harness you couldn't find a more plug/play ecu solution. At least you could start out with an exisiting patch harness. Alot of work there. Hope all goes well

Old 09-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Team Transport Member
Good **** Gurg!!!!

Now you just need a motec exhaust to finalize it all... JK

When you gonna give me a ride???

Old 09-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im Surprised George Didnt Convince U To Get Fcon

Old 09-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GTT
Nice how does it compare to the Utec ?!
haha!! The MoTeC M800 kicks UTEC's a$$ in every way imaginable bro. It's not even close.

Wow, this is some impressive shiz Gurgen. How long did it take you to get everything done?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
To many wires for me but I bet the results are awesome!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Wow. Can't wait to see the final result.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Use MoTeC for primary logging, at least for the time being. All new units come with 8 hours of free logging, single wideband control.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

Do you have to pay to log data on your own system after eight hours?

Old 09-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats bro.

i want a ride.
I can't imagine your car being any better than before, but i'm sure i'll be pleasantly surprised.

-DRU

Old 09-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks all... it was indeed a lot of work. About 13hrs for the wiring, and $5600 later I've got what you see.

Originally Posted by zazaracing
Good **** Gurg!!!!

Now you just need a motec exhaust to finalize it all... JK

When you gonna give me a ride???
LOL...anytime bro...we gonan make those videos we were talkign about? Let's do it.

Originally Posted by JM_G35
Im Surprised George Didnt Convince U To Get Fcon
Well, he didn't have to...I was running an Fcon this whole time, but needed user-adjustability.

Originally Posted by _jb
I'm not sure what you mean here.

Do you have to pay to log data on your own system after eight hours?
Yes, loggin is extra... $290 only though, so that's not bad at all. Many don't need it, hence why they do this. That's MoTeC....everything is extra.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by MEECHIN
Congrats bro.

i want a ride.
I can't imagine your car being any better than before, but i'm sure i'll be pleasantly surprised.

-DRU
Thanks bro....let's hope it turns out well... Not sure you'll feel the difference in power, but we'll see.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Gurgen, your crazy but I guess you already knew that Good luck with your plans.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah im curious in the difference it made.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's done! ~~MoTeC M800~~ running on my car *pics*videos*